User Interview - tianyi7886 Topic

nice example. Does anybody scout all states at D1?
4/23/2014 2:45 PM
Posted by rednation58 on 4/23/2014 2:45:00 PM (view original):
nice example. Does anybody scout all states at D1?
not quite all, but at mid majors with solid budgets ive scouted everything within 1400 miles a number of times
4/23/2014 2:48 PM
That's too funny TJ..I considered that exact player myself.

I have no doubt at all that you can find quality players like that late.  Your point about locking up targets early and switching to mega-scouting is key I think.  That strategy makes a lot of sense to me, because you're still giving yourself a shot at the local elite players.  Maybe tianyi does that too and didn't elaborate on that part of it.
4/23/2014 2:59 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I have scouted all states before...cost was about 17K....
4/23/2014 3:45 PM
Posted by killbatman on 4/23/2014 2:59:00 PM (view original):
That's too funny TJ..I considered that exact player myself.

I have no doubt at all that you can find quality players like that late.  Your point about locking up targets early and switching to mega-scouting is key I think.  That strategy makes a lot of sense to me, because you're still giving yourself a shot at the local elite players.  Maybe tianyi does that too and didn't elaborate on that part of it.
This is exactly what I do when I've got a lot of openings (4+). Both of my conferences at d3 do earn a lot of extra cash for me, but if you can line up good locals early, no reason to take a role player early when you can scout more late and find late droppers/back-up players.

At that stage in the game new battles are rare unless 2 guys pop on a player same cycle. 
4/23/2014 3:46 PM
battles are rare unless 2 guys pop -- chi chika  ro errah -- battles are rare unless 2 guys pop

4/23/2014 7:30 PM
I scanned it to see if my name was in there, then I checked out.
4/23/2014 7:33 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 4/23/2014 7:33:00 PM (view original):
I scanned it to see if my name was in there, then I checked out.
I believe that
4/23/2014 8:28 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 4/23/2014 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by killbatman on 4/23/2014 2:05:00 PM (view original):
I think literally all 50 states at D3 is just wasteful, but that comment is making me re-consider how much I normally FSS.  I'm more of a 'scout 3 states and camp on an elite player' type recruiter, but I can see the value of mass-scouting in certain situations.

It seems like the main drawback to always doing that is if you do that in a tough D3 world like Wooden..I have a hard time seeing you ending up with any players in that "elite" category.

It also helps if it's not common knowledge that you do that, because then people would know they can take any player off your list at any point.  If people just respect your 'name' and avoid battling you, I can see how mega-scouting would work out great.

I don' t pretend to do it as well at tiyanni  but I buy a lot of my states  about a day after signings.    I lock up and protect  my first few options and then go scouring through the entirety of D3 for  the last few players.   II tend to not spend early to protect against poaching so if I don't get hit, I have a fair amount of cash left over after signings start.

Occasionally I find a stud that some D2 team had as a backup  but normally I just find role players or players that I think have value but others don't.   I sign a fair amount of low Work Ethic guys this way.   In Wooden, I just found this guy in Florida (from California).

Current
Rating
Potential     Current
Rating
Potential
Athleticism 63 Low   Perimeter 21 Low
Speed 55 High   Ball Handling 37 Low
Rebounding 28 Low   Passing 11 Average
Defense 58 High   Stamina 69 Average
Shot Blocking 11 Low   Durability 32 High
Low-post 18 High   FT Shooting Average

My guess is this guy was passed over because he is listed as a PG and will top out at like 40 BH/20PASS.    To me, I see this guy as the perfect SF in a 3-2 zone.  He's a DEF STUD 60/80/80 in D3 and if we get lucky will have a LP high enough to score occasionally.  

He's a great fit for me but I am sure some people dismissed him because of the low PASS and REB.

Seriously, you took my Montana SF and you found that guy too? What do you need two of them for anyways? I sure could've used one. 
4/24/2014 12:36 AM
it was a privilege to have competed with tianyi7886 for many seasons in DIII Naismith with my Chapman team going up against his Menlo team.  I beat and lost to him many times, and proud to have finished right around .500 against him, if not exactly .500.   Always a battle.  He almost always made deep runs in the NT and knew early in the season, if not preseason, which of his teams had a legit shot at a national title.
4/26/2014 12:50 AM
◂ Prev 12
User Interview - tianyi7886 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.