Recruiting Ineligibles Topic

Hey... question about ineligible recruits.

Two part. I can sign an ineligible recruit who would then be required to sit out a season... Is that right?

Next... Is a recruit's interest in my program affected by his eligibility? Are ineligible recruits less likely to show interest and sign, etc?
4/25/2014 10:48 PM
1. Yes, except in d3. Even if it says ineligible they can play year one.
2. Kinda. Ineligible are a little easier to recruit and sign but they may choose to sign and then not show up(they go juco). You then have to recruit them the next year.
4/25/2014 10:51 PM
Posted by craigaltonw on 4/25/2014 10:49:00 PM (view original):

Two part. I can sign an ineligible recruit who would then be required to sit out a season... Is that right?

Next... Is a recruit's interest in my program affected by his eligibility? Are ineligible recruits less likely to show interest and sign, etc?
You are at D2 so yes if the ineligible shows up he would have to sit out a season and then would have 4 seasons of eligibility as long as his GPA is above 2.0. There is always a decent chance that he will choose to go JUCO instead of showing up on campus.

As far as the second part nothing I have ever seen shows that being ineligible changes anything about signing a recruit. It might be slightly easier to get a higher rated ineligible but thats only because a lot of coaches will avoid them.
4/26/2014 2:19 AM
Is there any correlation between a player choosing not to sign and things like how soon he signs, or how good he is, or something else? I realize I'm asking a somewhat speculative question since I doubt any hard data is available on that.
4/26/2014 3:18 AM
There is a belief that the more effort put into an ineligible will make it more likely to show up... however I believe there is always some percentage chance they go juco regardless.  There is also some speculation that it is near impossible to get multiple ineligibles to show up in the same recruiting season but low sample sizes haven't shown that it is possible to get more than 1.
4/26/2014 3:25 AM
If the player goes JUCO... can you still possibly lose out in recruiting them the next season?
4/26/2014 9:20 AM
YEah, if he goes JUCO you have to recruit him all over again. You get something like 25% of the credit for the effort you put in the previous season.
4/26/2014 10:00 AM
And they will go to some random college somewhere in the country so they might be thousands of miles away the following season.
4/26/2014 11:09 AM
So, if you're D3, the ineligible always show up on campus because he doesn't have to sit out the year?
4/26/2014 11:21 AM
I'm not positive but I think they still can go juco but the difference for ineligibles at the different divisions is that at D3 you can play them immediately when they show up on campus where as D2, they sit out a year and play 4 more and D1 they only get the last 4th year if there cumulative GPA is 2.8 or higher for the 5th season.
4/26/2014 11:32 AM (edited)
Thanks, budd.
4/26/2014 11:33 AM
Posted by craigaltonw on 4/25/2014 10:49:00 PM (view original):

well, the way you ask that last question is tricky. the recruits are possibly a little easier to recruit but i don't really think so (except that you can make promises you never have to recruit). however, once you sign a recruit, his overall perception of where he stands relative to your program definitely factors in to his % chance of showing up.
4/27/2014 10:23 AM
Posted by buddhagamer on 4/26/2014 11:32:00 AM (view original):
I'm not positive but I think they still can go juco but the difference for ineligibles at the different divisions is that at D3 you can play them immediately when they show up on campus where as D2, they sit out a year and play 4 more and D1 they only get the last 4th year if there cumulative GPA is 2.8 or higher for the 5th season.
its been 5 years so i could be wrong, but i didn't think d3 had to worry about eligibility at all - no jucos, and you play immediately. 
4/27/2014 10:24 AM
Posted by buddhagamer on 4/26/2014 3:25:00 AM (view original):
There is a belief that the more effort put into an ineligible will make it more likely to show up... however I believe there is always some percentage chance they go juco regardless.  There is also some speculation that it is near impossible to get multiple ineligibles to show up in the same recruiting season but low sample sizes haven't shown that it is possible to get more than 1.
I have tried several times to get more than one ineligible to show up, and I can't remember getting 2 at the same time.  It might be possible, but in my experience it does not usually happen.

Remember if your ineligible does show up to use all Individual practice minutes on Study Hall for that player (Divv-2 and Div-1) ... he can not practice with the team and his other Attributes will not grow, so put every minute on study hall.  This does not apply to Div-3, where ineligibles are normal players.

4/27/2014 1:26 PM
Posted by craigaltonw on 4/26/2014 9:20:00 AM (view original):
If the player goes JUCO... can you still possibly lose out in recruiting them the next season?
as others noted, he may end up far away and your prior season effort (diluted by passage of time) may be easily overwhelmed by someone nearby

it will depend on how much you worked on him and where he lands as juco
4/27/2014 2:02 PM
123 Next ▸
Recruiting Ineligibles Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.