long overdue...User Polls Topic

Posted by nickguy08 on 5/5/2014 11:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by llamanunts on 5/4/2014 7:03:00 PM (view original):
I know my method of recruiting is not the popular method, but it has worked. I think Nyack in the Knight world is probably the best example of my method.
If peaking at the #49 RPI and some first round NT exits is a supportive example of your method, you may have some reevaluating to do.
I think the general opinion is that maybe I am not putting much thought into recruiting, because I don't use the service.
I'm sure you're putting a lot of thought into it, but it's really inefficient.  If you want to be a winning coach you're going to have to use all the information you can get your hands on.  FSS is VITAL if you want to have any real success.  Two guys with identical starting numbers will often look wildly different from each other with FSS information.  You're a sacrificing huge huge huge amount by foregoing it.
I did ramble on this post. I should be sleeping.

Make it cost less and I will use it. The service costs too much when users are in a weak conference. The service is affordable a little bit more bigger conferences. That is my biggest issue. A successful school should benefit more from it regardless of the conference. Why share the "team" success with a conference full of sims. IRL D3 level public schools HAVE advantages when they are a conference of private schools that cost $30,000+ year to attend. You think Wichita St has an as small basketball budget as the rest of the conference ? I wouldn't think so. Why should I be at fault in that case too?

I don't disagree with the benefits. I said in an earlier post this past season I had $3,000 to spend on one recruit. As it turns out I spent 3/4 of it on a recruit that was undecided until about the last day. I woke up the recruit ended up signing with someone else. If I were to get into battles with the best "potential" from the FSS service, I wouldn't have any cash to get a decent player.

As for the # 49 RPI, yeah I see what you are saying. I try my best to schedule tough non-conference games, but I can't control the conference. Not using the service, took Nyack to the first NT EVER, when 5 previous coaches could not. (They probably used the service.) Just good coaching?

Am I at fault for wanting to turn a program around? Often times they are in the weakest conferences. I took a small chunk little of thunder away from the Felician dominance while I was there. I am sure that user used the service too.
Good luck, sir. You seem to have actual knowledge of the outside world of college basketball. That doesn't play well with this crowd.

I agree with you that the way money is dealt out in HD is silly. 

Do you recruit a lot of junior college and transfer players?

Congrats on the NT trip. 
5/6/2014 1:22 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Etta, you're constantly insulting people. And you have no sense of the irony of what you post.
5/6/2014 9:14 AM
I know my method of recruiting is not the popular method, but it has worked. I think Nyack in the Knight world is probably the best example of my method.
If peaking at the #49 RPI and some first round NT exits is a supportive example of your method, you may have some reevaluating to do.
I think the general opinion is that maybe I am not putting much thought into recruiting, because I don't use the service.
I'm sure you're putting a lot of thought into it, but it's really inefficient.  If you want to be a winning coach you're going to have to use all the information you can get your hands on.  FSS is VITAL if you want to have any real success.  Two guys with identical starting numbers will often look wildly different from each other with FSS information.  You're a sacrificing huge huge huge amount by foregoing it.

Make it cost less and I will use it. The service costs too much when users are in a weak conference. The service is affordable a little bit more bigger conferences. That is my biggest issue. A successful school should benefit more from it regardless of the conference. Why share the "team" success with a conference full of sims. IRL D3 level public schools HAVE advantages when they are a conference of private schools that cost $30,000+ year to attend. You think Wichita St has an as small basketball budget as the rest of the conference ? I wouldn't think so. Why should I be at fault in that case too?

I don't disagree with the benefits. I said in an earlier post this past season I had $3,000 to spend on one recruit. As it turns out I spent 3/4 of it on a recruit that was undecided until about the last day. I woke up the recruit ended up signing with someone else. If I were to get into battles with the best "potential" from the FSS service, I wouldn't have any cash to get a decent player.

As for the # 49 RPI, yeah I see what you are saying. I try my best to schedule tough non-conference games, but I can't control the conference. Not using the service, took Nyack to the first NT EVER, when 5 previous coaches could not. (They probably used the service.) Just good coaching?

Am I at fault for wanting to turn a program around? Often times they are in the weakest conferences. I took a small chunk little of thunder away from the Felician dominance while I was there. I am sure that user used the service too.
I'd recommend ignoring almost everything posted by Ettaexpress regarding HD. He knows almost nothing about how the game works, and isn't particularly interested in changing that state of affairs.

I would also recommend taking the advice of the people who have told you that using the FSS service is your best avenue for recruiting. The information gleaned from knowing potentials is just invaluable.
5/6/2014 9:18 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/6/2014 9:18:00 AM (view original):

I'd recommend ignoring almost everything posted by Ettaexpress regarding HD. He knows almost nothing about how the game works, and isn't particularly interested in changing that state of affairs.

I would also recommend taking the advice of the people who have told you that using the FSS service is your best avenue for recruiting. The information gleaned from knowing potentials is just invaluable.

Also, nickguy, do you spend much on scouting trips to find out the potentials of individual players?  If I had to pick between using only FSS and zero scouting trips, or only scouting trips and no FSS, it'd be the former and it's not close.  I could build a good D3 team using only FSS information to evaluate recruits.

No FSS: Maybe you see a PG whose starting numbers look good except for his speed, which starts at 30.  Maybe you send three scouting trips and find out that his speed is low or average - had you known that in the first place, you might never have spent any time or money on him at all.  Maybe you send three and none of them tell you about his speed.

FSS: You see in the recruiting search that the PG's speed is 30 and low or average.  Or that his perimeter is 45 and low - if that was high you might have something.  You move on, saving time and money.

If I have one spot and $3k, I'm not in a position of power anyway.  I'm not winning a battle and I'm going to be picking through the guys others leave alone no matter what.  Might as well load up on info.

That was a bit of a ramble as well.

5/6/2014 10:52 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/6/2014 9:14:00 AM (view original):
Etta, you're constantly insulting people. And you have no sense of the irony of what you post.
I don't think you even know what irony means. 
5/6/2014 12:02 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/6/2014 12:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/6/2014 9:14:00 AM (view original):
I don't think you even know what irony means. 
Yeah, so I taught language arts for 8 years. I'm sure I do. And I'm positive you don't. I'm also positive that you're going to continue to **** on useful threads, so I'll leave you to your proverbial defecating.
5/6/2014 12:40 PM
So, what does everybody think about the response to changing m2m? I think it would definitely be useful, but at the end of the day there is still enough wiggle room to game the system.
5/6/2014 12:51 PM
I think it's a good idea if they can design it so that it is easy to do.  I don't want 48 drop down boxes for a  depth chart of who is covering who.
5/6/2014 12:55 PM
It's a good idea at first blush, but I think it would make man to man too powerful.  This was probably stated earlier.  If I can set my defensive matchups that closely and you can't counter that with a move of your own, that's a huge advantage to me.

There's something like this at play with the zone defense.  I don't know if you're going to play a 2-3 or a 3-2.  Sure, it indicates your current choice on the gameplanning pages, but you can switch that right before the game.  So I can't be certain.  HOWEVER, I can set up my distribution vs. a 2-3 and vs. a 3-2 separately. 

I have no idea how to give a coach sufficient options to gameplan for all the different man-to-man assignments you might throw at me... and zero options is gonna be too few, I reckon.
5/6/2014 1:23 PM
I agree with TJ, and in a weird way I kinda agree with llama as well (although I do keep going back and forth on it in my mind). In real life, it doesn't always workout to where a man can guard the same guy on every single trip down the court or stay with him once he is on him...so it could be a problem if there wasn't any wiggle room whatsoever for the offensive team.
5/6/2014 1:34 PM

nick, nobody is trying to tell you that you can't make the NT without the scouting service. however, you will be severely disadvantaged when you get to higher levels of competition. winning a title in d3 without the scouting service is nearly impossible. if half the coaches in d3 used the service, and the other half didn't, well over 90% of the titles would go to the folks who did use the service. they'd hold most of the NT spots, too, but their monopoly on final 4s and championships would greatly exceed their monopoly on NT bids. this is true even in the weakest conference in d3, but it gets more and more true the higher you go (except that the highest level of d1 can be a bit anomalous).

i highly recommend you try to get used to it, even if you feel like it gives you a small hit now. its worth the hit now so that when you try to position yourself for deep runs, you don't have to start fresh with something so important at that time. and even if it seems like a wash at your current level, knowing it only gets more important, thats a good reason to try it. however, if you just want to stick with what is working, thats totally cool with me, im not trying to pressure you into changing your ways or anything. i just think its in your best interests to do so.
5/6/2014 2:26 PM
Yeah, and if you use SVs at ALL, FSS pays for itself (except in the biggest states) w/in 2 or 3 SVs.
5/6/2014 3:13 PM
I would like to see single season records as well as career records.  
5/6/2014 4:05 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...18 Next ▸
long overdue...User Polls Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.