Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

Posted by ettaexpress on 4/28/2014 9:52:00 AM (view original):
2 of the 4 recruits are juniors, since I expected to be getting a few more. So not sure how much that's going to matter. 

The other way in which the board misled was in not getting money for more htan 6 roster spots. The board had pretty much always said you get money based on how many openings you had. So since I knew I had more scholarships than anyone else in D-II, I thought I had more money as well.

Like I say, I think this is pretty poor and should be regarded as unacceptable. Players should not be reliant on the board for such basic information because, obviously, people on the board can be wrong.
I apologize to anyone posting here trying to help, BUT MOST OF YOUR RELIES MAKE ME FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!

JUST READ DAC AND MULLY'S POST AND LET THE IRONY SOAK-IN REAL DEEP LIKE.

4/28/2014 12:12 PM
2 of the 4 recruits are juniors, since I expected to be getting a few more. So not sure how much that's going to matter. 

The other way in which the board misled was in not getting money for more htan 6 roster spots. The board had pretty much always said you get money based on how many openings you had. So since I knew I had more scholarships than anyone else in D-II, I thought I had more money as well.

Like I say, I think this is pretty poor and should be regarded as unacceptable. Players should not be reliant on the board for such basic information because, obviously, people on the board can be wrong.
there is clear and precise information on the 6 scholarship limit all over, as others have pointed out. i am guessing you were reading a thread about recruiting in general, battles or something, people talk about the # of openings all the time. the 6 limit comes up all the time too, but definitely not as frequently - and its not like you have a team of lawyers posting here. its completely normal that people leave out the long list of disclaimers and caveats in casual conversation, when they are not needed in the flow of the casual discussion at hand. for this to be regarded as unacceptable would be absolutely ridiculous.

if you are going around reading threads on a certain topic and making inferences about how this applies to a different topic, that's certainly a good thing, but it also carries a risk that you will be "mislead" - the context of the comments you are reading and the context you are translating them into is not the same. its just like with seble's statements (his lies, as you call them) and the community's interpretation. when the context doesn't match, you can't simply take a statement at face value. well, you CAN, but it will often result in confusion and misunderstandings.

i appreciate it is frustrating getting burnt by the 11 person rule, but with the 6-cap information readily available, you have nobody to fault but yourself. its best to fault nobody, these things happen... its part of the learning process.
4/28/2014 12:38 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 4/28/2014 12:10:00 PM (view original):
I see what you're saying. I'd never thought of it like that. 

A related question:  If he offers  a scholarship to a walkon, then cuts him, will it affect his reputation rating?
Probably.  I think once you extend the scholarship, then the walk-on is treated as being "signed" by you.  So, I'd expect the same reputation penalty would apply.   Even so, I doubt it would be the limiting factor on career advancement.  It will take at least 5 more seasons to get to D1.  If he decided to move to a different D2 team, then there would never be a need to rescind.

Besides, there is always the possibility that one of those guys really does have decent potential in a couple categories.  With a 100 WE and bunch of freshman minutes, then he might stay a valuable bench player for 3 or 4 seasons.  Who knows?
4/28/2014 12:44 PM
id much rather have the 5k the following season, than to sign a walkon. it is tempting that next year, it costs him nothing (assuming he wouldn't fill the spot then), but the two years after he has a crappy walkon instead of 5k or a quality player. if its like, the best walkon HD has ever seen, maybe.... but generally speaking, i wouldn't think twice about it myself, its not that hard to sign an extra guy the following season, or better yet (depending on your school of thought), to have that money the following season.
4/28/2014 1:57 PM
It's everyone else's fault that ettaexpress can't read and comprehend the FAQ.
4/28/2014 2:07 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 4/28/2014 1:57:00 PM (view original):
id much rather have the 5k the following season, than to sign a walkon. it is tempting that next year, it costs him nothing (assuming he wouldn't fill the spot then), but the two years after he has a crappy walkon instead of 5k or a quality player. if its like, the best walkon HD has ever seen, maybe.... but generally speaking, i wouldn't think twice about it myself, its not that hard to sign an extra guy the following season, or better yet (depending on your school of thought), to have that money the following season.
Let's not assume the "best walkon", but a walkon with some potential to improve.  The strategy is this:
  • Offer the schollie during exhibition (WE bump to 100)
  • Next offseason, sign 3 freshmen, the worst senior x'fer available (to avoid any battle for a senior), and take 2 walkons.
  • The following offseason (to which I assume you refer), you still have 6 open scholarships.  In this season, it would be wise to try to fill all open scholarships, without signing any seniors.
Resulting class structure after following season: 0, 2, 4, ___.  You'd probably want to sign a junior (or 2) during the following offseason and that would correct the classes to 0, 4, 4, 4.   The 3rd offseason, sit on your hands and take the carryover cash.  4th offseason, the walkon graduates.  No money lost.  
4/28/2014 2:37 PM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 4/28/2014 10:15:00 AM (view original):
http://www.whatifsports.com/knowledgebase/KB_Article_Details.aspx?kbid=243

Its a perfect opportunity to reset your offense and defense, if you wanted to make a change.

Just curious, with that many Walkons did any of them show up with any potential in anything?

The other thing to do when you have that many scholarships open is to use liberally(up to five times) the promised starts and the promised minutes(up to what you can fulfill). Its cheap recruiting credit. And if you aren't going to be that good the next season anyway, might as well use it. Maybe you did, I don't know, but just a tip if you didn't.
No, not really any potential.

I did use a couple of promised starts and promised a few more to players that didn't commit. If a couple more had, I think we might have been ok.
4/28/2014 2:54 PM
Posted by metsmax on 4/28/2014 10:29:00 AM (view original):

11 openings is hard - but one can handle it.  Views may differ, but I think about it this way

- you get money for 6 schollies plus any post season money
- your team wont be good the first season anyhow
- so, sign some guys very cheaply with promises of starts and/or minutes helping - let them start
- sign some jucos/transfers - you MUST since a class cannot exceed 6 players (also in FAQ somewhere)
- spend big on a couple of guys who will be excellent players in the long term

Yeah I knew you couldn't have more than 6 in a class (not sure why you'd want to anyway).

I would think it would be pretty well impossible to sign 11 good players. I wasn't even trying for 11, more like 7-8 (at least half jucos) and I still ran out of money. I guess if you wanted to sign dreck to fill the roster you could, but don't really see the help in that.

Really should have signed about 2 more I feel. Doesn't make sense that you can come in late and have the same impact as someone that's been recruiting a guy from the start. 

4/28/2014 2:57 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 4/28/2014 12:12:00 PM (view original):

I apologize to anyone posting here trying to help, BUT MOST OF YOUR RELIES MAKE ME FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!!

JUST READ DAC AND MULLY'S POST AND LET THE IRONY SOAK-IN REAL DEEP LIKE.

Then jog off if you don't feel like trying to help. (apparently the filter doesn't like the 4 letter word for urination? That's only a curse word in Britain, I thought).
4/28/2014 3:01 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 4/28/2014 1:57:00 PM (view original):
None of these walkons are even marginally worth keeping. Two guys that are not terrible on DEF, but their A/SPD more than make up for it, in a not good way.

I should have enough players to have a functioning team next year if I stay, but then 3 of this year's recruits will be seniors so I don't know how much good that really does. Maybe I'll just move up to D-I after next year haha.
4/28/2014 3:04 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
etta, I don't know how many battles you got into, but generally I don't recommend more than 1-2 for newer coaches, no matter how good your target recruits look. Find at most two local guys (within 360 mi, preferably within 180) that you think are special, and protect them at all costs. Sometimes there aren't even two worth battling for, which is fine. If you can get one more local who's still untouched on signing day without any battles, great, but if anybody jumps on them aggressively, be prepared to bail. Then once those 1-3 locals are signed, you should have plenty of money left over to scout a bunch of states around the country. Every cycle there are high-potential gems hidden around the country who nobody finds until after signings start.

The last time I took over a program with 6 open slots and a bad prestige, I only snagged one local... and then FSS'ed about 25 states after signings started. I was able to get five guys who grew into really nice players.
4/28/2014 3:38 PM
Posted by bhansalid00 on 4/28/2014 3:38:00 PM (view original):
etta, I don't know how many battles you got into, but generally I don't recommend more than 1-2 for newer coaches, no matter how good your target recruits look. Find at most two local guys (within 360 mi, preferably within 180) that you think are special, and protect them at all costs. Sometimes there aren't even two worth battling for, which is fine. If you can get one more local who's still untouched on signing day without any battles, great, but if anybody jumps on them aggressively, be prepared to bail. Then once those 1-3 locals are signed, you should have plenty of money left over to scout a bunch of states around the country. Every cycle there are high-potential gems hidden around the country who nobody finds until after signings start.

The last time I took over a program with 6 open slots and a bad prestige, I only snagged one local... and then FSS'ed about 25 states after signings started. I was able to get five guys who grew into really nice players.
In my experience, this is perfect advice.
4/28/2014 3:50 PM
Problem with it is having 11 scholarships if I had focused on 2 recruits, I'd have even less of a team than now. Most everyone I recruited was local, not just one or two. 

I think it's ridiculous that I can be recruiting a guy the whole season and then have to "bail" because someone swoops in out of the back. That's not how recruiting works, heck that's not how human relationships work. 

I didn't have any money after signings because I was trying to keep the recruits that people were vulching. 

It may be good advice, but it's good advice indicative of poor game design. I'm sorry if there are issues with me saying that, but it's not like I'm getting any credit for trying to play nice anyway.
4/28/2014 3:56 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/28/2014 3:58:00 PM (view original):
Problem with it is having 11 scholarships if I had focused on 2 recruits, I'd have even less of a team than now. Most everyone I recruited was local, not just one or two. 

I think it's ridiculous that I can be recruiting a guy the whole season and then have to "bail" because someone swoops in out of the back. That's not how recruiting works, heck that's not how human relationships work. 

I didn't have any money after signings because I was trying to keep the recruits that people were vulching. 

It may be good advice, but it's good advice indicative of poor game design. I'm sorry if there are issues with me saying that, but it's not like I'm getting any credit for trying to play nice anyway.
You can choose to either follow the good advice you've gotten here, or not follow it.

And as a fan of a school that's lost talented recruits when Duke, UK, etc. swoop in late, I can say definitively that yes, losing to a late swoop-in DOES happen in real-life recruiting.
4/28/2014 4:00 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...19 Next ▸
Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.