Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

Posted by ettaexpress on 5/1/2014 9:30:00 PM (view original):
Don't you get any value from playing the defense you're practicing in the game, though?

I mean it's not like switching is really going to make a huge difference in the season.
i can't remember if its none or negligibly small, but the practical answer is no, it makes no difference. you are right that your team will probably suck badly this season anyway, but may as well try to give them your best shot, right?
5/1/2014 10:54 PM
I think - but cannot prove - that playing a scheme helps IQ  in that scheme a tiiny bit
5/1/2014 11:12 PM
if someone can dig up that robotdevil study that tried no iq, we could probably find the answer in there. i would assume there was some reference to the iq of the players along the way. we know there is a negligible increase from not playing something at all. speculation is it is either some tiny growth from 0 minutes or from playing against a set. so the iq of the set he played would have to outstrip the iq in sets he didn't play, to draw a conclusion.
5/1/2014 11:19 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/1/2014 11:19:00 PM (view original):
if someone can dig up that robotdevil study that tried no iq, we could probably find the answer in there. i would assume there was some reference to the iq of the players along the way. we know there is a negligible increase from not playing something at all. speculation is it is either some tiny growth from 0 minutes or from playing against a set. so the iq of the set he played would have to outstrip the iq in sets he didn't play, to draw a conclusion.
it is interesting to read this whole thing through again, especially since I forget what happened at breakfast by dinner...

A couple of my favorite comments from it so far:

stevejones16  

Meta-comment alert: How amazing is it that this whole, wonderful little endeavor was proposed, discussed, improved, and implemented among a bunch of strangers who don't even know each others' real names and who are ostensibly in competition with each other? I wish that real life worked as well as this board does.

This next post later turned into a whole page "discussion" over the 1000 mile rule and should be applied across all divisions. "ALT-ID-GATE" and the great purge followed sometime after (I'd say soon, but how the hell would I remember whether or not it was really soon...)

coach_billyg  

well, there is probably only a 2% chance my guess is right, but if it is, the poster is a pretty good guy. slightly misguided in a couple areas (laughing), but still a good guy.

dahs - if there is something wrong with him, or he is not honestly a national championship coach, i think that would out itself pretty quickly.

i too do not know why hed want to hide his identity, but who knows, could be anything. maybe hes stated opinions about the subject previously and doesn't want those comments in play. maybe he has a team in d3 knight and its within a 1000 miles and he doesn't want to listen to people ***** or have CS make him move. or maybe he just has a team in every 2 a day world in general, and doesn't want to possibly cross any boundaries. im not even sure if the fair play rules said its 1000 miles in the same division. i mean, if not, that would be crazy... but i really dont remember it saying 1000 miles was limited to the same division. hopefully CS doesnt go enforcing that now because a lot of coaches would be ********, there are quite a few offenders, many of them well respected. but anyway, i digress. there are plenty of reasons he might not want to share, and not all of them include him being a serial killer :)

next is the last post of real value to the study.

robotdevil  

Well it finally happened. After the 55th game(Last game of 2nd season) my players went from an F to a D-. Not just in motion/man-to-man, but in all offenses and defenses. The one sophomore who didn't was Blair and that must just be due to the fact that his WE(35) is lower than the other sophomores. I suspect he will switch over a few games into the next season. I knew this happened at some point and Iguana had already spoken of this earlier, but now we know it is right around the end of 2nd season or beginning of 3rd depending on WE.   

And here is the history of the school from the time in question

57 robotdevil 8-19 5-5 3-13 0-1 7-9   128 6 C+  
56 robotdevil 27-4 11-1 12-2 4-1 16-0 7 5 17 A- Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (2nd Round)
55 robotdevil 21-8 9-4 11-2 1-2 14-2   39 32 B- Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)
54 robotdevil 17-11 3-5 13-5 1-1 9-7   195 377 C-  
53 robotdevil 4-23 3-10 1-12 0-1 3-13   321 111 C-  

STARTING IQ

AFTER 7 GAMES

AFTER 14 GAMES

5/2/2014 3:44 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/1/2014 10:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/1/2014 9:30:00 PM (view original):
Don't you get any value from playing the defense you're practicing in the game, though?

I mean it's not like switching is really going to make a huge difference in the season.
i can't remember if its none or negligibly small, but the practical answer is no, it makes no difference. you are right that your team will probably suck badly this season anyway, but may as well try to give them your best shot, right?
I don't believe that the IQ study above answered the question it posed satisfactorily, but it does seem to indicate that playing a set (or playing against it) has no effect on its development.

Also, I have two theories on the identity of the coach in question, both probably wrong. 
5/2/2014 3:47 AM
Lost a bit of a heartbreaker tonight. No idea if BYU-H is any good at all or not. Didn't even look at them.

Crawford looks like a heckuva player.
5/2/2014 5:53 AM
etta, you probably won't win a lot either way, but even just for the exercise of doing it I'd recommend at least reviewing your opponents and deciding on +/- defensive setting.
5/2/2014 6:56 AM

I was just too busy last night. Class from 8 to 8, and knew I had to be up early this AM. Business school is not all fun and games, ya know. :)

I'm not going to post a result every game, I just thought that this was becoming a bit of an interesting laboratory for a few of you and thought you might be interested to see that we actually came close to winning a game haha.

5/2/2014 4:55 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/2/2014 4:55:00 PM (view original):

I was just too busy last night. Class from 8 to 8, and knew I had to be up early this AM. Business school is not all fun and games, ya know. :)

I'm not going to post a result every game, I just thought that this was becoming a bit of an interesting laboratory for a few of you and thought you might be interested to see that we actually came close to winning a game haha.

business school? uhg. definitely not all fun and games. i hate group presentations and ****, seems like that is half the business classes. going for MBA or undergrad? i was gonna minor in business but couldn't deal with all the group work and attendance required BS, so i took economics. it also had the upside of somehow allowing math-based econ courses to count for my general humanities requirement, which was a pretty sweet deal, i had to take a minor to graduate (everyone did). 

good luck with that, though. i never heard of classes from 8 to 8, but then again, i never knew when my classes were anyway. one time 5 weeks in i rushed to class for the first time, to hand in the 2nd or 3rd homework, it was something where taking ALL 0s on homework wasn't great. somehow i got the time wrong, and went into this class. i felt so bad, the TA, who i had before and liked, stopped class to leave the room and get me a desk, because the room was full. i handed him my assignment and he was like... what? what class is this for? didn't you already take this class with me? i was like uh... this isn't graph theory or whatever the hell it was? he looked at me like i was crazy, and was like no, thats not for another 20 minutes. i thought there were 20m left, somehow, and rushed down so i could beat the class before it let out. it was pretty bad, it was literally the 5th week...
5/2/2014 9:14 PM (edited)
I used to sit in the back of a HUGE microecon class, eating take-out pizza, and playing chess (on a magnetic portable chess set) with my buddy. We'd eat pizza and play chess until the attendance sign-in sheet got to us, and then leave. Usually got a few good blitz matches done in the 40-45 minutes it took the sheet to get back to us. He ended up with an A, while I got a B in the class.
5/3/2014 12:26 AM
MBA, billyg. 
5/3/2014 1:32 PM
Well, someone has now. :)

70-64 over Paine. Crawford with a huge effort. Making 15 3's helps.
5/5/2014 9:53 AM
So this just got weird. I dialed my player use back to 'getting tired' and still my guards want to stay on the court for 40 min. Got a backup listed that isn't listed for mopup duty as well. Weird.
5/8/2014 2:42 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/8/2014 2:42:00 AM (view original):
So this just got weird. I dialed my player use back to 'getting tired' and still my guards want to stay on the court for 40 min. Got a backup listed that isn't listed for mopup duty as well. Weird.
You're probably using 'target minutes', with which I have very little experience.   But, I suspect  if you set for the maximum minutes, it'll overrule the individual fatigue settings.   You may have to reduce their target minutes if you want the subs to play more
5/8/2014 4:28 AM
No I'm using fatigue this year. If I was using minutes, that would definitely be the reason though.

Oh well I tweaked something and we'll see if it helps. I don't know if it'll end up doing me any good but this year would probably be pretty instructive for someone that wants to see just how much you can get out of 5 starters as far as minutes go and have them be useful. 
5/8/2014 8:48 AM
◂ Prev 1...9|10|11|12|13...19 Next ▸
Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.