Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

Posted by ettaexpress on 5/8/2014 12:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by killbatman on 5/8/2014 12:23:00 PM (view original):
You might be the most closed-minded person I've ever encountered.  Congrats on that.

I can think of a number of reasons why someone who never intends to play Zone might want to understand how it works in this game.  I won't bother typing them out.

If you have 3 players "vulched" at the last minute, that's 100% on the way you recruited.  You'll eventually realize that if you accumulate more than 3 seasons of experience.

edit: I fully expect you to respond with some diatribe about being the victim..or how everyone else refuses to change.  Feel free to mix some more references to grad school in there too.  We're all very impressed by that.

LOL and you all talk about me getting personal and offtopic...you have no idea how far off track you are as far as me being closed or open minded. Just because someone sees the flaws in a plan or system or simulation doesn't mean they're closed minded. It might mean the opposite, that they're able to see more and understand what the problems are that many others just accept without thinking about whether they're problems or not, and lashing out at those who do have a larger field of vision.

No, having players vulched is not 100% on how I recruited. I'd like to see how you would have kept them with the budget I had and the number of players I was pursuing. I think it's ridiculous that a team that hasn't been on a guy can just jump in at the last second and win his heart. That's just not real. But that's pretty much what happened, and there was really no way of getting around it happening unless I could give myself more money. Say whatever you want, I really don't care because you're talking out your ***, you don't know what happened, you don't know what I know, and you have an obvious bias. So forgive me if i don't give your view on the matter a whole lot of value; as one can easily see, there are a lot of reasons for that. 

There's a whole thread dedicated to zone that I feel pretty sure has more useful info than I can get from playing it with a team that's not any good at any defense. You're really grasping at straws here. 
Apparently you don't even understand why I'm calling you closed-minded.  I guess that makes sense.  Hint: it has nothing to do with flaws in the sim.

fyi when you talk about HD recruiting, you sound like a child trying to talk about poker.  Maybe just sit the next couple plays out, Champ.

5/8/2014 2:31 PM
he really does, doesn't he... only a child would suggest that the outcome of an event he participated in was completely outside of his control. a closed-minded child, i suppose? i like to think when my 2 year old turns 3, he wont be so naive :O

on a lighter note, if etta ever puts his MBA to use running a company, i'd pay really, really good money to be on those quarterly conference calls... "well, our revenue is down this quarter, but of course there's nothing i could have done about that unless i could print more money or something, but i'm not the government, so... say whatever you want, i really don't care"
5/8/2014 2:42 PM (edited)
Posted by killbatman on 5/8/2014 2:31:00 PM (view original):
You might be the most closed-minded person I've ever encountered.  Congrats on that.

I can think of a number of reasons why someone who never intends to play Zone might want to understand how it works in this game.  I won't bother typing them out.

If you have 3 players "vulched" at the last minute, that's 100% on the way you recruited.  You'll eventually realize that if you accumulate more than 3 seasons of experience.

edit: I fully expect you to respond with some diatribe about being the victim..or how everyone else refuses to change.  Feel free to mix some more references to grad school in there too.  We're all very impressed by that.

LOL and you all talk about me getting personal and offtopic...you have no idea how far off track you are as far as me being closed or open minded. Just because someone sees the flaws in a plan or system or simulation doesn't mean they're closed minded. It might mean the opposite, that they're able to see more and understand what the problems are that many others just accept without thinking about whether they're problems or not, and lashing out at those who do have a larger field of vision.

No, having players vulched is not 100% on how I recruited. I'd like to see how you would have kept them with the budget I had and the number of players I was pursuing. I think it's ridiculous that a team that hasn't been on a guy can just jump in at the last second and win his heart. That's just not real. But that's pretty much what happened, and there was really no way of getting around it happening unless I could give myself more money. Say whatever you want, I really don't care because you're talking out your ***, you don't know what happened, you don't know what I know, and you have an obvious bias. So forgive me if i don't give your view on the matter a whole lot of value; as one can easily see, there are a lot of reasons for that. 

There's a whole thread dedicated to zone that I feel pretty sure has more useful info than I can get from playing it with a team that's not any good at any defense. You're really grasping at straws here. 
Apparently you don't even understand why I'm calling you closed-minded.  I guess that makes sense.  Hint: it has nothing to do with flaws in the sim.

fyi when you talk about HD recruiting, you sound like a child trying to talk about poker.  Maybe just sit the next couple plays out, Champ.

As the old poker saying goes, "If you’ve been in the game 30 minutes and you can't figure out who the 'fish' is, you'd better get up and leave, because YOU'RE the fish."

(Cue EE claiming he DOES know who the fish is, or whatever.)
5/8/2014 3:38 PM
Posted by rogelio on 5/8/2014 1:26:00 PM (view original):
The point about having players "vulched" is exactly at the core of recruiting in this game.  It is about budget management.  Your results make it painfully obvious (to anyone that has played this game for a few seasons) that you over-committed resources to players and invited competition.  The competition would have been able to read your position and realize that you couldn't possibly defend all of your positions at once with a limited budget.

There is no way that recruiting can be made to exactly mirror real life.  The solution to simulating recruiting and, separately, simulating games, presented by WIS is a very strong one (if you only bothered to figure it out).  In real life, their are limitations on campus visits, coaching staff contacts, etc. so the Universities compete on facilities, tradition (both campus and conference), coaches' reputation, scholarship and, at the highest levels, ability to get recruits into the NBA (along with blatant cheating).  

Unless you wanted to have a game of sim-University on the side of the basketball simulation, then there is very little way to make that function within the confines of any simulation.
Limited budget? Everyone has a limited budget. I had a lot of players on my list, true...because there were a lot of spots to fill. I didn't have any more limited of a budget than anyone else.

There may be no way to exactly mirror real life, but it can certainly be made a helluva lot closer to it than it is. 

Maybe you just don't understand how to make it function because you don't know enough about it? I mean that's what you say about me and the sim..."if you only bothered to figure it out." Well maybe you should commit more resources to trying to make WIS look more like real life and function better than wasting your time denigrating coaches because they don't think the way you do.
5/9/2014 1:33 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/8/2014 2:18:00 PM (view original):
I also love where EE tells one of the really great coaches in HD right now (killbatman) that HE is grasping at straws. Just when you think it can't get any richer...
Boy another great post. I don't know how you do it. 

Before you get your rocks off, why don't you tell everyone how many championships you've won...guess all you can do is piggyback on the people that are actually good. I don't know why you haven't quit by now.
5/9/2014 1:35 AM

Yeah it has to do with you being a dumbass. 

I may just sit out the rest of my life worth of plays out in HD, or I may not. I'm certainly not going to let some dumbshite like you decide for me.
5/9/2014 1:38 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/8/2014 2:42:00 PM (view original):
he really does, doesn't he... only a child would suggest that the outcome of an event he participated in was completely outside of his control. a closed-minded child, i suppose? i like to think when my 2 year old turns 3, he wont be so naive :O

on a lighter note, if etta ever puts his MBA to use running a company, i'd pay really, really good money to be on those quarterly conference calls... "well, our revenue is down this quarter, but of course there's nothing i could have done about that unless i could print more money or something, but i'm not the government, so... say whatever you want, i really don't care"
What makes you think revenue would be down if I was running the company? ;)
5/9/2014 1:39 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/8/2014 3:38:00 PM (view original):

As the old poker saying goes, "If you’ve been in the game 30 minutes and you can't figure out who the 'fish' is, you'd better get up and leave, because YOU'RE the fish."

It's probably the guy with 2400 games and no championships. 
5/9/2014 1:40 AM
First rip off of the year. Lead with 5 min to go and my best players reasonably rested, and do nothing for 3 minutes but give up 10 points. By the time we score again, it's over. 

Crawford on fairly fresh couldn't make anything during that time even though the other team was playing zone which should suit Crawford well. As disadvantaged as my team is, we should have won this game. More trash from the sim.
5/9/2014 2:28 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/9/2014 1:35:00 AM (view original):
I also love where EE tells one of the really great coaches in HD right now (killbatman) that HE is grasping at straws. Just when you think it can't get any richer...

Before you get your rocks off, why don't you tell everyone how many championships you've won...guess all you can do is piggyback on the people that are actually good. I don't know why you haven't quit by now.
I've never claimed to be a great HD coach--just light years better than you are now, or likely ever will be, at the rate you're going. And, shockingly enough, I haven't quit by now because--despite its flaws--I enjoy the game.
5/9/2014 10:25 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/9/2014 1:40:00 AM (view original):

And... Right on cue.
5/9/2014 10:26 AM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/9/2014 2:28:00 AM (view original):
First rip off of the year. Lead with 5 min to go and my best players reasonably rested, and do nothing for 3 minutes but give up 10 points. By the time we score again, it's over. 

Crawford on fairly fresh couldn't make anything during that time even though the other team was playing zone which should suit Crawford well. As disadvantaged as my team is, we should have won this game. More trash from the sim.
Hahahahaha!

It's friggin AWESOME that you think it's the sim's fault that your ****** team gave up a 10-0 run! And it just further proves that you don't know nearly as much about either sim games or real life basketball as you think you do. Those kind of runs happen all the damn time in real life.
5/9/2014 10:29 AM
Limited budget? Everyone has a limited budget. I had a lot of players on my list, true...because there were a lot of spots to fill. I didn't have any more limited of a budget than anyone else.

Let's just talk about this gem for a moment.  No.  There's too much there.  I will sum up.  This is my proof that you have learned less in three seasons than any other coach in the history of this game.  You're smart enough to learn it, but you haven't put any effort into it.   That's equivalent to getting a pawn to the opponent's back row in chess and shrieking "king me!"
5/9/2014 10:48 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/9/2014 10:25:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/9/2014 1:35:00 AM (view original):

I've never claimed to be a great HD coach--just light years better than you are now, or likely ever will be, at the rate you're going. And, shockingly enough, I haven't quit by now because--despite its flaws--I enjoy the game.
What makes you think you're better than me. If I had stayed at Marietta I'd probably have a season record better than your career mark with a team that's still building. 
5/9/2014 2:22 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 5/9/2014 10:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/9/2014 1:40:00 AM (view original):

And... Right on cue.
Why'd you ask the question when obvious answer was obvious?
5/9/2014 2:23 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...19 Next ▸
Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.