Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
But you're just a run of the mill dope that doesn't know when to quit, when he's just not good enough
26-39  ......that's irony
5/9/2014 3:12 PM
I might be missing something, but hasn't nova's RPI improved every season wildcat has been there? And didn't he just make the post season? I thought those would be signs of improving, why are you suggesting he should be fired? Granted I haven't been paying close attention to this thread and I'm not nearly as smart as you (although I have won a championship with that crappy inferior zone defense) , but I must've missed something along the way.
5/9/2014 3:31 PM
Posted by milwood on 5/9/2014 3:31:00 PM (view original):
I might be missing something, but hasn't nova's RPI improved every season wildcat has been there? And didn't he just make the post season? I thought those would be signs of improving, why are you suggesting he should be fired? Granted I haven't been paying close attention to this thread and I'm not nearly as smart as you (although I have won a championship with that crappy inferior zone defense) , but I must've missed something along the way.
4 years in a major conference at a program that has some history of success and fan expectations (so not RL Northwestern which has never been to the tournament) with no NCAA berth, no winning record in the conference, no winning overall = fired, unless you can find me an example otherwise. 
5/9/2014 3:44 PM
Posted by mullycj on 5/9/2014 3:12:00 PM (view original):
But you're just a run of the mill dope that doesn't know when to quit, when he's just not good enough
You really lack perspective if you think that tells a story. 

If I had just sat at Marietta and kept building eventually that record would turn around, as it is even with the computer running suboptimal strategy. So because I wanted to do something different and challenging means I don't know when to quit?

Tell ya what, if I get to 2400 games and never have a championship and have a marginally above .500 record, I'll quit that day. Fair?
5/9/2014 3:46 PM
Oh I get my confusion now. I didn't realize you thought he actually coached at Villanova IRL. I thought you were referring to his HD Villanova team where his first year recruits are now seniors.

I've never coached at DI in HD so I don't really know if that is good or not, nut I suspect the community would say he's done a decent job given the starting prestige of the program.
5/9/2014 3:51 PM
You're apparently still confused, and not following the conversation. I've made several references to the fact that his coaching job would be in serious jeopardy if HD worked more realistically with regard to coach hiring/firing. It's not like Villanova's never been any good in HD. They wouldn't have the patience for going 4-12, 4-12, 5-11, 6-10 or whatever terribly slow slope he's on.

"The community" tends to close ranks and protect its own, so you're probably right about what they'd say. But as usual, they'd be wrong.
5/9/2014 3:55 PM
I think the community would actually agree with you on the fact that firings in HD (or lack of) is a joke.

But unlike real life, HD loses money if firings cause players to quit.    Not that I agree with WIS on this one.
5/9/2014 4:43 PM
I understand HD's side. It's a tricky problem from a business perspective. I'd say pretty much all the sims I'm aware of have made the same choice HD has, meaning no one has really come up with a better way to do it. 

I guess what you'd need to change it is something showing that people get discouraged and leave because they can't get a job they want to open up or there aren't enough total openings, or something like that.
5/9/2014 4:45 PM
Putting aside the nasty aspects of recent bits of this thread, on the topic of firings I think it is clear that they should be ramped up.

With some reflection, I think one could designed a way to make it work without causing many folks to quit.  One easy idea to try would be to give one free season along with the firing.  So, you just got fired at an elite school, but your first season at a low DI school is free.....stay in the game.....

I also have the impression that when folks get fired they cease to be qualified for a wide swath of schools.  Fact is, when someone is fired at an elite school, they can usually get a very good job that is a step down but not several steps down.  One should be able to be fired at a BCS school and get a mid majorish job.

5/9/2014 4:57 PM
Right, if you get fired at an elite school you usually get still get a job in a major conference unless your name is Ben Howland. And a major but not elite coach can go to a mid-major, or even another major if the guy did a good job for a while but things just went sour maybe. 

Real life fans of some schools are just nuts. Like NC State's fans running out a coach after 5 straight NCAA tournament bids. You don't do that unless you're an elite program, and they aren't. 

But sometimes it's just the AD that's insane. 

Point being that probably coaches in the real world get fired MORE often than is logical.
5/9/2014 5:13 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/9/2014 3:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 5/9/2014 3:12:00 PM (view original):
You really lack perspective if you think that tells a story. 

If I had just sat at Marietta and kept building eventually that record would turn around, as it is even with the computer running suboptimal strategy. So because I wanted to do something different and challenging means I don't know when to quit?

Tell ya what, if I get to 2400 games and never have a championship and have a marginally above .500 record, I'll quit that day. Fair?
And here I was hoping you'd have quit after only 24 games.
5/9/2014 5:20 PM
Great use of your 24th post! :)

Another .500-ish coach that hasn't won anything. 3600 games and nothing. Jeez...why bother? 
5/9/2014 5:32 PM
Actually, closer to 2,000 games in HD -- the rest are in HBD with 162-game seasons with rebuilds.  Nice attention to detail, though, MBA guy.

And be glad that firings in HD are unlike real life -- or you'd have been canned the second the AD got wind of your 7-walkon recruiting "class."
5/9/2014 5:36 PM
I guess you think the AD would rather me waste scholarships on guys that aren't any good? Have you ever actually known an AD? Some of them would be thrilled that I saved them money haha.

2000 games and haven't won anything is still a pretty mediocre record. What is that like 50 seasons? More than a RL career for sure.
5/9/2014 5:46 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...19 Next ▸
Sooooo has anyone ever won a game with 4 players? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.