How much of a disadvantage is zone defense? Topic

Sorry I'm new to the game but what does IRL mean, ettaexpress? Might be a dumb question. 
5/4/2014 10:46 PM
Irl = in real life
5/4/2014 10:54 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/4/2014 9:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/4/2014 9:24:00 AM (view original):
1. I want to utilize the shot blocking of the center. That is emphasized more in Zone.
2. The second best rebounder wont be any farther away than if we play man.
3. The whole point is to see if four athletic guards and one monster center can play defense effectively.
2. But he'll be assigned to a man which makes rebound responsibilities easier. 
3. They can and do IRL if you're playing a team that has 4 perimeter players. Against a team with 2 posts, problems ensue. Have no idea, of course, how well the sim will handle it. Probably helps that the sim already weights ATH/DEF too much. 
ettaexpress, we just found that the Center in the 2-3 is by himself as far as attributes go ... and that  PG/SG make up a group and that SF/PF make up a group.  The groups are averaged for Defensive play.  It might also impact rebounding ... not yet determined.

We are not talking about real life here, though it would be good if the game mimiced real life.  What TJ is saying is ... he wants to try an experiment where he has a very good ATH, BLK, REB, DEF Center to play the 2-3 zone and actually see (now that we know the groupings) what the SIM does in that instance.  IRL you would likely not be able to rebound as a team or stop post up players as well ... with the SIM, that "could be" a different story.  That is why he wants to try it ... to try and find the nuances of how the 2-3 works.

Once we know how it works, then maybe we can say it is or is not like real life and suggest changes .. but first, test it then decide.

5/5/2014 8:56 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Zone Experiment #1

DEFENSE:
Guard Average:  52/64/61 (ATH/SPD/DEF)
Forward Average: 63/39/62
Center:  42/2/53

REBOUNDING:

Forwards:  11 and 51
Center:  87

BLOCK:

Forwards: 27
Center: 77

My opponents two main scoring options are:

1. A guard  that takes about 60% of his shots as threes.

ATH:41
SPD: 67
PER: 69
BH: 75

This guy has an advantage on my guards.   I will be playing a +2 defense to try to limit him.

2. A guard/forward   that relies on ath/spd to score.

ATH: 67
SPD: 57
LP: 34
PER: 35
BH: 66

Less than 10% of his shots are three pointers and he seems to get fouled alot.   I think this is the type of guy that the high block center will help on it.     We'll see.

5/5/2014 9:25 AM
UCLA beat the crap outta teams with one dominant center inside. I think it'll work here too.
5/5/2014 2:13 PM
They did? When?
5/5/2014 6:33 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 5/5/2014 6:33:00 PM (view original):
They did? When?
Lew Alcindor
5/5/2014 9:01 PM
Yeah but the point of the UCLA zone defense wasn't. Idiot.
5/6/2014 2:20 AM

Not a defensive oriented center, a dominant shot blocking and rebounding center who played in a 1-2-2 zone which we essentially just found out the sim runs in a 2-3 and was a part of the greatest college basketball dynasty in history. It was a good comparison.

Bill Russel wouldn't be bad either.

5/6/2014 3:04 AM (edited)
Etta, stop polluting all the good threads with your bullshit.
5/6/2014 9:20 AM
Posted by scaturo on 5/5/2014 9:25:00 AM (view original):
Zone Experiment #1

DEFENSE:
Guard Average:  52/64/61 (ATH/SPD/DEF)
Forward Average: 63/39/62
Center:  42/2/53

REBOUNDING:

Forwards:  11 and 51
Center:  87

BLOCK:

Forwards: 27
Center: 77

My opponents two main scoring options are:

1. A guard  that takes about 60% of his shots as threes.

ATH:41
SPD: 67
PER: 69
BH: 75

This guy has an advantage on my guards.   I will be playing a +2 defense to try to limit him.

2. A guard/forward   that relies on ath/spd to score.

ATH: 67
SPD: 57
LP: 34
PER: 35
BH: 66

Less than 10% of his shots are three pointers and he seems to get fouled alot.   I think this is the type of guy that the high block center will help on it.     We'll see.

Interesting results.

The guard I was worried about went 4-12 (2-7 for 3FGA).

The guard/ forward actually played the 2,3,4 and 5 during the game.   I don't have the time to isolate his shots per position but he went  9-19 (1-1 for 3FA) and  took 11 FTs (although 4 were when we were intentionally fouling).

As a team, my opponents shot a little over 42% for 2 point shots and a little under that for 3 point shots.

We had been playing a 3-2 previously.   As expected, the 2fg% was lower in the 2-3 and the 3fg% was higher.  Although,the computer "adjusted"  my defense at 1/2 time from a +2 to a +0.      Against the +2 my opponent was 2-7 (pretty much our season average) against the +0 they were 3-5.
5/6/2014 9:46 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...14 Next ▸
How much of a disadvantage is zone defense? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.