Coaches asking for inside recruiting info Topic

I take a fence...
5/22/2014 10:33 PM
You know, I just don't understand this crap.  One coach blatantly breaks the rules and then, to deflect blame upon someone else, creates an unproven theory that someone else is also breaking the rules even though there is no proof that this occurred.  The only proven transgression is the sitemail that was sent asking for recruiting information.

I greatly respect tanner and there is no reason to sling mud on him based on an unfounded accusation.  Having multiple IDs is not against the rules and, unless you have proof that tanner IS sharing FSS information between his teams, then go screw yourself.  You are just trying to devalue your own crime by attacking the whistleblower. 
5/22/2014 11:18 PM
you cant ask for nonpublic info

that includes, in my opinion, FSS info, info about another coach's plans about recruits, info about how much has been spent during recruiting while it is on, etc
5/22/2014 11:32 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/22/2014 11:18:00 PM (view original):
You know, I just don't understand this crap.  One coach blatantly breaks the rules and then, to deflect blame upon someone else, creates an unproven theory that someone else is also breaking the rules even though there is no proof that this occurred.  The only proven transgression is the sitemail that was sent asking for recruiting information.

I greatly respect tanner and there is no reason to sling mud on him based on an unfounded accusation.  Having multiple IDs is not against the rules and, unless you have proof that tanner IS sharing FSS information between his teams, then go screw yourself.  You are just trying to devalue your own crime by attacking the whistleblower. 
It's hard for me to greatly respect a user (let alone hold him above any suspicion) that openly admitted to massive cheating, then deleted his admission of guilt, then lied about having made such an admission...only to come clean after he realized he couldn't put the cat back in the bag.

And let's not forget he'd used this exact thread to create a very high and very fake moral horse that he sat on for a few days before he eventually revealed his true stripes.
5/23/2014 12:32 AM
What admission and deletion?  Perhaps it happened before I started following this thread.  Can you fill me in?  I guess I am confused.  I don't normally follow the forums with regularity.
5/23/2014 1:07 AM (edited)
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/23/2014 1:07:00 AM (view original):
What admission and deletion?  Perhaps it happened before I started following this thread.  Can you fill me in?  I guess I am confused.  I don't normally follow the forums with regularity.
Ya, tannermcc created a thread in the middle of the night about how the popular notion of not battling conference mates was flawed logic, and within the thread he went on at great length about how he and his conference mates orchestrated a massive collusion ring a while back. However, he got gun shy and deleted the entire thread about 5 minutes later, but not before myself and several others users had already read it.

Here is a link to the thread that immediately ensued:

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=477308&TopicsTimeframe=30&TopicsPage=4

5/23/2014 1:17 AM
OK, I read the thread.

I've been playing HD since 2004 and I was aware that unsavory things were going on back in the day.  I never took part in it (never even was asked to do so) but I was not blind to what was going on.  Perhaps that explains why my teams could not win the NT and always got beat in the S16, E8 or F4...I was running up against steroid teams.

Tanner admitted that he took part.  He made a mistake and, in an HD way, served his time (a two year absence from the game.)  I honestly believe that Tanner does not even entertain the idea of collusion now.  I still respect him and consider him a great guy.  Thank you for the information but my opinion of Tanner has not changed because my association with him is based on how he is now, not how he was many years ago.
5/23/2014 1:46 AM
It's a flippin' shame that anyone would really want to cheat, and feel good that they won a fantasy sport. Gotta be low self esteem.
5/23/2014 1:56 AM
this still happens to a degree - much much less than before

and there are lots of variations which to me vary in their degree of seriousness

"Hey there are two great players located near our two schools, which one do you want?"  Been a while since I heard that from someone, but its a problem.

"Hey, there are two great players located near our two schools.   They are about as good as each other.  Just letting you know, I like Smith."  This is a problem

"I see you have two PG's considering you, are you serious about both of them?"  Not allowed, less wrong in my book

5/23/2014 8:50 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 5/22/2014 10:33:00 PM (view original):
I take a fence...
put it back.
5/23/2014 10:26 AM
I take a fence...
hey all you middle men...
throw away your fancy clothes...
and while youre out sittin on a fence....
5/23/2014 11:07 AM (edited)
I take a fence...
For some reason this makes me think of the D&D-themed episode of Community.

I hump the sword.

5/23/2014 11:10 AM
I had a player message me once, suggesting we help each other out during recruiting. Specifically, he wanted us to divide up the states so I would recruit some and he would recruit some. Then he said we could call dibs on certain players, kind of like taking turns on the best ones. He was a coach who had some success at his old team before coming and joining a new conference with me in my very first season ever in HD. He didn't ask me all of this until maybe my 4th season in, because we had really got along great and he was struggling to rebuild his new program. He really felt other conferences were already doing this and we'd be levelling the odds.

Well PlatoIsek had already made it quite clear to me that that kind of stuff was forbidden so my response was a gentle and sympathetic no, a promise I wouldn't tell anyone about our conversation, and an offer to point out any great recruits I saw near the end of recruiting if it seemed he was struggling (JsaJsa and Plato have both since told me this is also wrong. Sorry guys, I was a noob). Anyway, he never took me up on it. Instead, he became very weird towards me right away and hinted later on that I was one of the cheaters. Then he deleted me as a friend on facebook and left the league altogether. I actually miss the guy, he was very talkative and laughed at all of my jokes on the CC.

Also, I tried to lose a game on purpose (95% I would have lost anyway) so a player in my conference could make the NT, since I wasn't going to make it anyway. This was probably my 2nd season playing? Anyway I had sent him a sitemail to tell him about it and told him my depth chart and settings for the game as well. He was VERY upset with me and it took a long time to get him to be cool with me again I think. At the time I thought it was only natural to want to help my conference mate out, but again after talking to Plato, he said he would have felt the same exact way as the coach who was upset with me. I now have a pretty good understanding for what you should and shouldn't do in this game and can see now why the coach was angry instead of happy. Memories :)

There was no real purpose for this post, except that all of you may get a chuckle from my stupidity ;)
5/23/2014 7:43 PM
Posted by killbatman on 5/23/2014 11:10:00 AM (view original):
I take a fence...
For some reason this makes me think of the D&D-themed episode of Community.

I hump the sword.

It was a fabulous episode.
5/23/2014 9:39 PM
Cool to see this thread get bumped when I'm in the hospital.

5/23/2014 10:16 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Coaches asking for inside recruiting info Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.