Film Study Practice Category Idea (Poll) Topic

Just have it act as some sort of multiplier on whatever the team offense/defense practice minutes are. For example say out of thin air that one minute of individual film is a 1.01 multiplier on the twenty minutes practice, etcetera.(or whatever the number for the multiplier is) for that player.

So if you are for some reason spending practice minutes in all offenses and defenses, film study just gives that pplayers more of the same of what you are doing with team practice.
5/23/2014 10:10 PM
But if you're treating it as a multiplier, doesn't WE already account for that? Would a low WE player with high film study mins improve IQ at the same rate as a high WE player with zero film mins? Faster?

I understand the appeal to connect to what film study accomplishes IRL, but I think work ethic is already the proxy for that. I expect my 80 WE guy to want to spend more time in the film room, and the weight room, and therefore learn faster than my 30 WE guy... and in the Sim as it stands, he already does.
5/30/2014 8:40 PM
Posted by zbrent716 on 5/20/2014 12:06:00 PM (view original):
For those of you opposed to the idea, it is the idea generally that you dislike or some specific concern about its method of implementation?
I voted no because we already have a method of learning O/D sets.  I don't see a reason for having two different ways for learning the same skill. 

If a change needs to be made (which I'm not necesarily inclined to believe is the case) then ask WIS to alter the coding for team practice.  An easy solution would be to have WIS remove the diminishing returns cap on team practice minutes.  If you choose to devote all 120 to (the same) O/D set, good for you.  Your players will have no appreciable basketball skill but at least they will have an A quintuple plus IQ by the time they graduate.
5/30/2014 10:35 PM (edited)
I agree. This would be a big help. I hate how we have to give the whole team the exact same number of IQ practice minutes. Juniors and seniors don't need as much as freshman and sophomores.
5/31/2014 3:23 AM
Posted by kbc167 on 5/31/2014 3:23:00 AM (view original):
I agree. This would be a big help. I hate how we have to give the whole team the exact same number of IQ practice minutes. Juniors and seniors don't need as much as freshman and sophomores.
Guess it depends on how you define "need". Upperclassmen making the jump from, say, B or B- to A or A+ makes an enormous difference in their quality of play.

But I think the bigger point is, underclassmen learn how to be better at team offense and defense partly because they have better-IQ vets around them. PER is an individual skill - you can go to the gym, get pointers from your coach one-on-one, and put up 1000 jumpers, and your ability to hit perimeter shots improves. But you can't learn how to play press defense without understanding your teammates' responsibilities and movement.

6/2/2014 2:33 PM
Posted by bhansalid00 on 6/2/2014 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kbc167 on 5/31/2014 3:23:00 AM (view original):
Guess it depends on how you define "need". Upperclassmen making the jump from, say, B or B- to A or A+ makes an enormous difference in their quality of play.

But I think the bigger point is, underclassmen learn how to be better at team offense and defense partly because they have better-IQ vets around them. PER is an individual skill - you can go to the gym, get pointers from your coach one-on-one, and put up 1000 jumpers, and your ability to hit perimeter shots improves. But you can't learn how to play press defense without understanding your teammates' responsibilities and movement.

But you can get at least some understanding of your teammates' responsibilities and movement in a press defense from watching film, no?
6/2/2014 3:57 PM
◂ Prev 12
Film Study Practice Category Idea (Poll) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.