Changing player positions Topic

I've worked up a page to allow a coach to change listed positions for players.  The plan is to allow unlimited changing, but there is logic in place to limit the options for a player to positions that are reasonable given the player's ratings.  Most players will be eligible for 3 positions, but some will be eligible for only 2 or possibly 4.  I haven't seen a player be eligible for all 5 in my testing, but it's theoretically possible.

Can anyone think of problems that this will cause, or restrictions that need to be applied to it?

5/22/2014 1:07 PM
Will this have any affect on game play in terms of where you can play certain players, or purely cosmetic for listing positions?
5/22/2014 1:10 PM
this is really only going to affect awards right? 
5/22/2014 1:13 PM
The only issues I can see is coaches gaming the system.
1) Coaches change player positions around in order to achieve All Conference honors at a weaker position in the conference. (not a bid deal)
2) DI coaches changing positions in order to reduce the lielyhood of the player leaving college early.  (This assumes that EEs selection is affected by the # of players at each position).

Seble - it would be more work but would it make more sense to let the engine determine the position of the player based on playing time.   The Coach could select whatever position they want but at the end of the regular season the engine would determine the final position (for awards, etc.) based on the position that was played the most over the course of the season.
5/22/2014 1:17 PM
If I'm scouting a team with 12 SF's on their roster, it will make quick gameplanning a bit of a pain, as I'd need to dig into PBP/ratings/stats more to figure out who plays where. Now I can look at a stats page and make a quicker judgment call on where each player plays.
5/22/2014 1:18 PM
I know it is mainly just cosmetic, but it will be nice to give players the position you use them at. I usually have 5 or even 6 guys listed at PG when only 2 or 3 really play there. As mentioned it will help with awards also.
5/22/2014 1:20 PM
I'm not sure what the reason for this change is, nor do I fully understand it.  I want the freedom to play any player at any position... is this somehow going to interfere with that freedom?
5/22/2014 1:23 PM
Maybe restrict it so a player's position is determined by where he is on the depth chart. So if he's listed as the starter at the 5 and backup at the 4, he's a 5. If he's a backup at the 4 and 5, the system picks one based on his ratings. That way it won't have to track playing time per position.
5/22/2014 1:24 PM
Would this possibly be abused to convince a new recruit to take a redshirt when he otherwise wouldn't (i.e. He's 5th highest guard on the depth chart once I've moved all the big men to guards).
5/22/2014 1:25 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 5/22/2014 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Would this possibly be abused to convince a new recruit to take a redshirt when he otherwise wouldn't (i.e. He's 5th highest guard on the depth chart once I've moved all the big men to guards).
pretty sure the answer is no. redshirt logic looks at all players and ranks them I think, and i think it uses weighted metric (so those bigs would be ****** guards and probably rank lower despite depth chart - not even sure if it looks at depth chart or just uses internal ranking system)
5/22/2014 1:29 PM
Listed position does not impact anything in the engine or on the depth chart.  It's mainly for organizational purposes (i.e. sorting roster, filtering on certain pages).  This change would not limit anything in any way.  The only potential impact I could think of is on awards (as dacj501 pointed out). 
5/22/2014 1:29 PM
I don't see huge value in this, and I think it's very possible for people to game for unintended consequences.  Since there is no longer (I believe) a penalty for playing a player "out of position", why re-position him?  I played a guy in the NT that had 12 PF's, and he made the sweet sixteen plus, what's the benefit of changing a listed position?
5/22/2014 1:30 PM
Posted by seble on 5/22/2014 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Listed position does not impact anything in the engine or on the depth chart.  It's mainly for organizational purposes (i.e. sorting roster, filtering on certain pages).  This change would not limit anything in any way.  The only potential impact I could think of is on awards (as dacj501 pointed out). 
Seeing a team of 12 SF's wouldn't 'impact' the game, but it would be pretty annoying if everyone did it.
5/22/2014 1:31 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 5/22/2014 1:20:00 PM (view original):
If I'm scouting a team with 12 SF's on their roster, it will make quick gameplanning a bit of a pain, as I'd need to dig into PBP/ratings/stats more to figure out who plays where. Now I can look at a stats page and make a quicker judgment call on where each player plays.
This is a valid point. 
5/22/2014 1:31 PM
Posted by dacj501 on 5/22/2014 1:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by buddhagamer on 5/22/2014 1:25:00 PM (view original):
pretty sure the answer is no. redshirt logic looks at all players and ranks them I think, and i think it uses weighted metric (so those bigs would be ****** guards and probably rank lower despite depth chart - not even sure if it looks at depth chart or just uses internal ranking system)
Correct, position does not impact redshirt reactions.
5/22/2014 1:32 PM
1|2|3...13 Next ▸
Changing player positions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.