So I just won the PIT but…. Topic

Posted by alblack56 on 5/28/2014 12:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jck45 on 5/28/2014 10:45:00 AM (view original):
Ok, so I was probably one or two wins away from an NT bid but, sigh, it was the PIT for me this year. I rallied my players (and myself) and, five wins later, I watched as my kids raised the PIT trophy in pride at Madison Square Garden.

My program's prestige stayed the same.That's right, started at a B and ended at a B.

Seriously, what's even the point of this thing?
Your prestige is based on:
1) 50% your current season
2) 50% your current prestige

So, I'd guess that winning the PIT is considered a 'B' prestige range.   Since you were already at 'B', there was no change. 
I just realized that you coach Notre Dame.  The formula I posted here is only for D2 and D3.   I don't know the D1 formula for prestige
5/28/2014 6:04 PM
i agree with jck.  i think winning the PIT is a pretty big deal and should have moved him up at least a little bit
I would rather win the PIT than lose in round 1 of the NT
5/29/2014 7:58 AM
Posted by ginniebgood on 5/29/2014 7:58:00 AM (view original):
i agree with jck.  i think winning the PIT is a pretty big deal and should have moved him up at least a little bit
if he had been lower than  B he would have gained prestige. Winning the PIT is not worth more than a B type season IMHO.
5/29/2014 10:49 AM
Posted by ginniebgood on 5/29/2014 7:58:00 AM (view original):
I just keep mentally comparing the HD PIT to the reality NIT and I can't see where the reality NIT adds to a program's prestige at all.  I can't think of a single real college basketball team that would rather win the NIT than make it to the big dance, just to take their shot.  Not even a small program would go into the season with winning the NIT as a team goal, but I bet plenty of them are thinking about making the NCAA tournament as a goal.

You'll frequently see televised statistics during the NCAA tournament about teams making the field for six years in a row and that type of thing.  If a team won the NIT several years in a row, I think it is safe to say they'd be seen more as a punch line than as a prestigious program.

I realize that we're talking about the sim versus reality here, and yeah, from an enjoyment point of view I'd rather coach five games and win them all then coach one game and lose it.  But I just can't get behind a PIT title as more than a B-level prestige booster.  So I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.
5/29/2014 2:17 PM
I'd actually suggest too much prestige is given for winning the PIT.  Like Davis, I compare it to the NIT.  And nobody cares about the NIT.
5/29/2014 3:04 PM
I always thought (in real life) they should have two wildcard entries into the NT.

The winner of the previous season's NT and NIT would get an automatic invite.   If the teams stunk the following season they could still be relegated to the #16 play/in game but at least they would be there.    I think that would increase the interest in the NIT.   Especially as those teams get down to the final 4 and the JRs know they have a chance to be in the NT their SR year.
5/29/2014 3:16 PM
Mully, I like your idea, but personnel changes soooo much from one season to the next, I fear this approach would take away a spot or two from a deserving team...but I do like the drama it would provide.
5/30/2014 2:00 AM
Posted by mullycj on 5/29/2014 3:16:00 PM (view original):
I always thought (in real life) they should have two wildcard entries into the NT.

The winner of the previous season's NT and NIT would get an automatic invite.   If the teams stunk the following season they could still be relegated to the #16 play/in game but at least they would be there.    I think that would increase the interest in the NIT.   Especially as those teams get down to the final 4 and the JRs know they have a chance to be in the NT their SR year.
this is really a great idea! it will eliminate any Big 6 programs from refusing to participate in the NIT (which used to happen frequently) and would make certain up and coming programs more attractive if recruits know they are guaranteed a trip to the dance. 
5/30/2014 1:09 PM
◂ Prev 12
So I just won the PIT but…. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.