The ugly side of recruiting question Topic

People ask questions about the actual battle between 2 schools for 1 recruit but what about the question after the battle? How should you prepare or take precaution if you lose the battle? Is their an amount of money you should stash for the "just in case" scenario? If you go all in on a recruit and lose, top coaches out their what is your next step?
6/28/2014 1:26 PM
there cannot be a general answer

depends on how many spots you need to fill, how many you have filled, how much you need to get some player in that spot and what are the prospects for success for your team the coming season.
6/28/2014 2:29 PM
What is the lowest you can spend on a recruit and get him? 
6/28/2014 7:29 PM
$110, but the real answer is don't chase a losing cause. If the prestige, distance and recruiting dollars say you can't win, don't throw good money after bad. Take the remaining money and find another recruit. Of course sometimes you just want to make a point or establish your boundaries from outsiders.

btw, I almost never follow my own advice.
6/28/2014 7:41 PM
Posted by lmschwarz on 6/28/2014 7:41:00 PM (view original):
$110, but the real answer is don't chase a losing cause. If the prestige, distance and recruiting dollars say you can't win, don't throw good money after bad. Take the remaining money and find another recruit. Of course sometimes you just want to make a point or establish your boundaries from outsiders.

btw, I almost never follow my own advice.
+1

know when to fold em

although now and then you have to fight - even when it isnt optimal - just so folks dont assume you will get out of the way.  It can help to be seen as a little bit crazy.

6/28/2014 8:22 PM
the best answer i can give you, bagger is think about the possibilities before you spend your first dollar or at least before you starting going in deep in a battle.  ask yourself  "what if i lose,  what is plan B?"   then what you have to weigh is the risk.  in some situations, the risk is you have to take a walkon and thats usually a risk worth taking if you feel you have a decent shot at winning the battle  (yes, you can sign players for $110, but make sure that $110 player is a better option in the long run than taking a walkon this year and having an extra spot next year,  )

also,  factor in what your other options are,   obviously, the player we are thinking about battling for is the guy we really really want,  but how much better is he compared to the next best option who might not be considering anyone.   

i think the real danger is not the one big battle... its getting into multiple battles in one recruiting cycle.  thats when things can go really bad.  because all those guys you are battling start realizing that you are in multiple battles and smell your weakness and go after the recruits even harder.

just remember, there is a perfect shot (recruit) out there tryin to fine each an evry one of us, all you gots to do is get out of the way and let it find you.
6/29/2014 6:38 AM
although now and then you have to fight - even when it isnt optimal - just so folks dont assume you will get out of the way.  It can help to be seen as a little bit crazy.

seems like good advice, mm,  but it doesnt seem to be helping me.   oh,  you did say  " a little bit"... maybe im overdoing it?
6/29/2014 6:41 AM
dave, the key phrase is "to be seen" as a little crazy - being actually crazy is more of a liability...
6/29/2014 7:40 AM
ahhh,  now i see it.   thanks dac.
6/30/2014 7:08 AM
The ugly side of recruiting question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.