Dropdowns.. what purpose do they serve? Topic

I was just wondering this.

Why not make all players available to be rejected to every team? Why have levels and teams players wont go to?

D1 teams can easily outrecruit any d2 or d3 team.

It'd make D3 far more interesting. Recruiting a freshman who has great ratings but no potential.

It'd also make low D1 more interesting, perhaps signing at top 20 recruit without a lot of potential that no D1 schools want.

To me all the current system does it make it harder for bad teams to compete.

Which is lame.

Also it makes recruiting a pretty singularly focused. I want the players with the most potential. It'd be nice at low D1, D2 or D3 to recruit a guy with no potential but is already a good player. That just doesn't exist right now.
6/30/2014 2:21 PM
Bu that is more like RL than any other recruiting aspect.  There is no kid in the world who's going to reject Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Etc...   I can see it more at DII or DIII.  Because your #1 - #20 recruit isn't going to ILL St or Morgan St.
6/30/2014 2:29 PM
Couple of points:
D1 teams can easily outrecruit any d2 or d3 team.
That's not true.  It doesn't happen constantly, but it happens more frequently than you think.  D2 teams take players away from D1 teams, and D3 from D2 teams.
It'd make D3 far more interesting. Recruiting a freshman who has great ratings but no potential.
You can do that now.  They do exist.  They're mostly low-WE guys... who may or may not have potential listed that they'll never fulfill.
It'd also make low D1 more interesting, perhaps signing at top 20 recruit without a lot of potential that no D1 schools want.
Can you show me an example of that kind of recruit?  I'm inclined to believe he doesn't really exist, or is extremely rare, but I can't say that with certainty... and I can't prove a negative.
6/30/2014 3:59 PM
Posted by terps21234 on 6/30/2014 2:29:00 PM (view original):
Bu that is more like RL than any other recruiting aspect.  There is no kid in the world who's going to reject Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, Etc...   I can see it more at DII or DIII.  Because your #1 - #20 recruit isn't going to ILL St or Morgan St.
Yea but if that top kid isn't getting offers from the high major schools they are going to go somewhere rather than go JUCO.
7/1/2014 1:59 AM
Posted by blackdog3377 on 7/1/2014 1:59:00 AM (view original):
Yea but if that top kid isn't getting offers from the high major schools they are going to go somewhere rather than go JUCO.
Yeah I agree, but OP said have the recruit  have top teams they will not consider.  There is no top recruit that will not consider a top school. The school might not want them, but the recruit is going want to go there.
7/1/2014 9:37 AM
Yeah I agree, but OP said have the recruit  have top teams they will not consider.
OP didn't say "top school", actually.  "It'd also make low D1 more interesting, perhaps signing at top 20 recruit without a lot of potential that no D1 schools want."
7/1/2014 10:50 AM
"Why not make all players available to be rejected to every team?"

7/1/2014 8:16 PM
Posted by terps21234 on 7/1/2014 8:16:00 PM (view original):

You're reading it wrong Terps.  He's simply saying make every player available to be recruited by every team.
7/2/2014 1:11 AM
I think this is true as well.

There are a couple things to consider. One is that recruits within 70 miles sometimes consider local teams that are below their normal cutoff, so a really good Division 2 team can sometimes recruit a top 100 player who is local.

Another is that all Division 1 recruits should have to make it through all the other division 1 offers before they would accept from a division 2 school.

I might be for a last 12 hour extra drop down period.. Where all undecideds drop down to everyone at that point.
7/2/2014 5:33 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 7/2/2014 1:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by terps21234 on 7/1/2014 8:16:00 PM (view original):

You're reading it wrong Terps.  He's simply saying make every player available to be recruited by every team.
That's even worse than what you thought I was thinking. There is no way Towson, Alabama A&M, liberty, etc would be able to recruit top 20 talent. You can't make every recruit available for every team
7/2/2014 2:41 PM
Buddy of mine in high school was a 5* recruit, was reserve for mcdonalds all american team and a 1st -team all michigan player.... Called by coach Izzo at michigan state and committed to grand valley state (d2 school) because he doesn't like comparisons he got to Drew Neitzel, Remember everyone, these are kids.... Kids make dumb decisions.... because of a "comparison" he went D2 when he EASILY could have gone D1... Not because of talent
7/2/2014 2:55 PM
I understand bagger, but that was his back up option sort of. If there was no comparison than he would of went to MSU.  Let every team have the chance to be a back up option is a great idea. That way if they decide I'm not going to get playing time or womething like that they will come to you as a back up.
7/3/2014 9:28 AM
We need prestige tiers at DII and DIII, just as it is now. The more successful programs need to have a recruiting advantage. Otherwise, the name of the game is no longer 'Dynasty'.
It's not that difficult to overcome, anyway, at DII and DIII. I saw a team, recruiting with a  C- prestige, win 30 games 3 seasons later.
7/3/2014 10:10 AM
It is also a theory that may work for more experienced owners; but what about somebody starting their first season?  They could burn their entire budget before they identify which recruits they actually have a shot at.  Not a great option for bringing in and maintaining new coaches.
7/3/2014 10:14 AM
Dropdowns.. what purpose do they serve? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.