Going into recruiting I'm targetting some players I consider "cant miss" I need these/this player and am expecting a battle.

My question is if your in a D2 v D2 or a D3 v D3 battle what is the most money you will spend going after a recruit and what is most money you have ever spent battling for a recruit.

So far the most i've spent at D3 was just over 5000 and at D2 I have never spent over 3000 including last season I spent on average 2700 and pulled down 3 D1 guys.

I've had a lot of luck in finding budget players that slipped through the cracks, I'm active almost every cycle except when I sleep so I'm not worried about spending too much in a battle because I have snatched some prospects that went 600+rating while in college for less than 1000.

So back to my 2 questions
How much on average do you look to spend in a battle
and
What is the most money you have spent in a battle?

Strictly also talking both in D2 and D3 facing D2/D3 schools.

7/21/2014 1:21 PM
Spent 12k in a D3 battle, lost, that hurt.
7/21/2014 1:40 PM
I spent 9k recently and lost at D3. I don't think I have ever spent 12k but I am sure I have gone over 9 before.

I have spent 16k at D2 and lost, I think I spent 21k at D2 and won.
7/21/2014 1:42 PM
The two major battles in D3 that I have been involved in I spent about $10k. I won one, and lost the other.
7/21/2014 2:46 PM
I've definitely been over $10K in D3 a number of times.  There's this popular forum refrain that you shouldn't spend money on battles in D2 or D3, there's always another similar guy you can get for cheaper.  BS.  Sometimes there just IS a guy who's worth fighting for, and if you have the open scholarships and can find another player or 2 on the cheap to fill in your roster, you should be prepared to spend most of your budget on one guy if he warrants that kind of attention.
7/21/2014 2:48 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/21/2014 2:48:00 PM (view original):
I've definitely been over $10K in D3 a number of times.  There's this popular forum refrain that you shouldn't spend money on battles in D2 or D3, there's always another similar guy you can get for cheaper.  BS.  Sometimes there just IS a guy who's worth fighting for, and if you have the open scholarships and can find another player or 2 on the cheap to fill in your roster, you should be prepared to spend most of your budget on one guy if he warrants that kind of attention.
That's how I feel about it, I have a guy upcoming that I feel I NEED so i'm looking to devote 90% of my budget to him
7/21/2014 3:31 PM
Hmmm, I've never gone much over $5-$6k in D3. May be time to change that...
7/21/2014 7:32 PM
The most money I have spent in a battle at DIII was about 9K, and I was willing to go to 12, which was all I had left or it would have been even more, had I been pushed that far. Once you start getting higher, it's usually pretty obvious who will win and one side will smartly bow out rather than blow their entire recruiting period on a stupid battle. Oh, that actually reminds me... I'm wrong, I did spend over 10K once, because the guy was a newbie who sunk his entire budget into a player he had no chance at winning.

However, there isn't a single player you ever NEED so much that you completely strike out on recruiting. Can you always find a comparative player for cheaper? No. Can you often find one? Yes. I owe Ike some thanks in Naismith for pushing me for a huge star guard in recruiting. I then crunched some figurative numbers and my experience in knowing his recruiting tactics and calculated that it would be close but I was more likely than not to lose. I gave up early and signed my top big man prospect (had to pull down and steal from simmy), and took a flier on a cheap guard. Well, that cheap guard was my best offensive player on my last title team. It ended up being a steal as a 2 for 1. The first thing you have to do is figure out if a battle is really worth it and part of that calculation is looking around at what your possible backup options are. Sometimes it's worth the battle and sometimes it's not. But don't go into recruiting with inflexible expectations. That's how good teams start missing the big dance.
7/21/2014 8:28 PM
i spent almost 30k in d2 once and lost, to a fricken a- bcs school. i was mad because he was a d2 rival, and i think jumping a d2 rival with your d1 school, well, thats pretty shady in my book. i'd certainly never have done it. i had an outside shot with the 30k because he didn't expect me to fight, but really, i was just doing it out of spite. the coach and i are on great terms now though, so, no harm done (although i think theres a very substantial chance losing that guy cost me my 10th title at my d2 school, which is roughly the only thing i regret not accomplishing in this game). 
7/21/2014 9:01 PM
I had just moved to a team out west in d3 which had 6 open scollies. They were set up to have 2 classes of 6 and none of the 6 returning players were much good. There was one pg whom I really liked I went all in. Turns out myself and another conference mate thought the same thing, a battle ensued. I went to the mat for the guy, offering 25 minutes and guaranteed start. Once the dust settled I ended up with him for the low amount of 18K. I was also able to sign 6 others so all in all it was a good class. After recruiting the next season I decided recruiting in California wasnt for me and headed back to the midwest. I checked back for that guy's senior year and he was the player I knew he'd be and the team made the sweet 16. I would do it again too.
7/22/2014 10:33 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.