Identifying offensive weapons Topic

I mostly want to check if my state of mind as far as who is my offensive weapons is correct.

When looking at LP and PER they cannot be a focal point of the offense without 70+ in one of those categories

Secondary scorers can be between 50-70 and

anyone under 50 should be taking 1 or no shots in the game, maybe 2 if they are wide open or its layups or dunks.

I know things like speed and whos guarding them make a difference but how much?

Can a guy with EXAMPLE 62PER and 55LP be an offensive force? What about just 58 PER or 58 LP? Is my thoughts on this correct or is there examples or poor rated LP/PER players being offensive weapons?
7/22/2014 9:08 PM
I have had guys with 80+ REB and 20 LP 10 PER average 10+ a season on put backs. Not a force but a nice piece of the puzzle.
7/22/2014 9:14 PM
You're missing the most important part of the equation. SPD and ATH.

The 78 PER and 10 SPD player probably won't be any more of an offensive threat than a 48 PER and 90 SPD player.

For your LP guys you want to focus on ATH over SPD.
7/23/2014 2:28 AM
I would suggest that your thoughts are not only off, but are way off.
7/23/2014 5:17 AM
Look at other teams in your world.  Look at the ratings of their best shooters and you'll soon develop a better feel for the more important attributes
7/23/2014 7:23 AM
Couple quick points:

1. Offensive #'s don't exist in a vacuum. It's all about who is covering who. I have a D3 team who the lead score is 60 ATH 70 LP (or something like that) guy. He was probably the leading scorer in 75% of the games and took around 25% of my teams shots. He was pretty efficient. However in one game we were playing a team with a center with 70+ ATH, DEF and SB. The guy covering him was way better than he was so I tuned down his distro and gave the highest number to my PF who had been set at zero all season. My PF is like an 80 ATH 30 LP guy but the dude that was covering him was a 40/40/40 guy.

You can speak in generalities about what a good scorer looks like but it all comes down to matchups.

2. PER and LP are very important ( and most important) but they are just components of the equation. Take a look at emy's teams. I haven't checked but I bet he has D2 guards with like a 50 PER that are hitting 3's at a good clip. You can certainly make it work without super high LP and/or PER.

3. Guards can be very efficient scorers with LP's in the 30's if they have an ATH advantage over their opponent.

4. You can also score with high speed, high ball handling guards but I don't really know how to do it.
7/23/2014 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone for the response, I've been very effecient defensivly through most of my seasons but now I'm working out the art of the offense. This season so far I've been much more effecient because I've made some adjustments based of stamina so my output is solid. I'm looking now at the future and now and seeing how to identify a weapon based off of all the things you guys have talked about.

So for instance my SF in northwood has 60 ATH 63 SPD 54 LP 62 PER, he should in theory be fairly consistent of a scorer if he's facing someone lower than him in DEF SPD ATH at the same position?

I have underused him if that's the case, he's very balanced but I also have valued him as a 3rd / 4th option and not a 1st or 2nd option
7/23/2014 11:00 AM
You really have two options with those type of guys.

If his defender has lower ATH, and a low BLK score I would feed him the ball at a -1. (ATH/LP vs ATH/DEF/BLK)

IF the defender is slower but has a comparable ATH I would feed him the ball and go +1. (SPD/BH/PER vs SPD/DEF/ATH)
7/23/2014 11:53 AM
In most scenarios MArino and Wilkins should be the two guys with the highest distro.
7/23/2014 11:56 AM
Ya they do get the highest Distro, Wilkins has been a 13+ 8 reb a game guy for 2 seasons and Marino is over 15+ ppg right now. I'm just  focusing on the options if for instance I'm going against a top 25 team with a good PG / PF where do I go next? Schuelke looks to be a solid option overall.

My next game against Lake Superior (Sim AI) has a SF with 39 ATH 43 SPD 24 DEF and 38 BLK, in theory shouldnt my SF with 60+ SPD and ATH and solid PER LP be able to dominate him?
7/23/2014 12:15 PM (edited)
yup.
7/23/2014 12:35 PM
Well, my vision is clear and I feel more offensively equipped to better identify matchups. Thanks everyone! I'm on a quest to be great!
7/23/2014 12:36 PM
Identifying offensive weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.