I want to get on the court! Topic

Got an interesting dilemma.

First off I use Fatigue levels in my Depth Chart. And usually have everyone set to fairly fresh.

My issue is I have 2 players complaining for more minutes. I've never had issues with players complaining for more minutes as it's usually just 1 player which is easy to solve or if it's more than one, I usually don't want the 2nd one anyway.

But these 2 guys play behind SRs with ST in the 80's. And I direly need them next year when the 2 SRs graduate. Even with FF, the two SRs are averaging 28-32 min/g. The 2 complainers are averaging 9 min/g. They both want 11-12 min/g.

So I'm seriously considering Target Minutes for the first time in FOREVER to solve this problem since I can't do it with Fatigue setting cranked all the way down due to the players in front of them having strong STs... and I play a pretty tough schedule that I can't make up the difference in giving time to backups with a late lead.

Is target minutes the only solution here? Say give 14-18 to the backups until I get them built back up to respectable minutes level then switch back to Fatigue?

7/23/2014 6:10 PM
Could you set the 2 complainers to "getting tired" and keep the seniors at "fairly fresh"? It'll cost you a bit on the scoreboard this year, but if you really need these guys next year...
7/23/2014 6:21 PM
Posted by bhansalid00 on 7/23/2014 6:21:00 PM (view original):
Could you set the 2 complainers to "getting tired" and keep the seniors at "fairly fresh"? It'll cost you a bit on the scoreboard this year, but if you really need these guys next year...
If I do this, don't the starters come back in anyway once they're fresh again?
7/23/2014 6:34 PM
They do, but it's worth checking the play-by-play to see if it's always the starters relieving those guys, and not players lower on the depth chart.  You might be able to buy a minute that way.

Also, you could look for any creampuffs coming up on your schedule and sneak those guys a start or two.
7/23/2014 6:53 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 7/23/2014 6:53:00 PM (view original):
They do, but it's worth checking the play-by-play to see if it's always the starters relieving those guys, and not players lower on the depth chart.  You might be able to buy a minute that way.

Also, you could look for any creampuffs coming up on your schedule and sneak those guys a start or two.
Excellent suggestion. They only have to average 11-12 ppg  from now on...not for the entire season.  What I do is multipy 11 * the # of remaining games. That's your target goal for the rest of the season.
 If they could get 25 minutes whenever they start, that will help you alot in reaching  the target goal.
7/23/2014 7:41 PM
Terrific suggestion. Gonna give that a try. I really don't want to use target minutes
7/23/2014 8:53 PM
If you want to avoid target minutes, you could also run uptempo, especially against teams you feel confident of an easy win. That will wear down your starters some and give the back-ups more minutes. With the zone defense, obviously your guys don't tire as quickly.

I have used target minutes with some confidence in situations like this though, so I don't think you need to fear trying it. You have quite ample data showing at normal tempo how much your starters can handle without getting tired (which is the biggest danger of target minutes - the guy stays out there too long). I definitely don't recommend target minutes with the press defense, but with M2M and zone I think it can be done.

I have used it several times when I promised starts to guys and only want them to play the min. amount of time to keep them happy (usually the 9-13 min setting with starters seems to still give them 15 min per game). It doesn't seem to be effecting performance that bad.
7/24/2014 2:41 PM
Well, you said you can't afford to give time to back ups with late lead. If you're talking about the 2 boxes at the bottom of the team gameplanning than that only means for blowouts not close leads so I would check that box for losing and winning.
7/26/2014 12:25 PM
PS. If the other team comes back your starters go back in
7/26/2014 12:26 PM
I want to get on the court! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.