How fast can IQ increase? Topic

I'm currently putting 23 minutes, into new offense and defense while leaving old off/def alone hoping to make a change late this season or before next, is it reasonable to expect this, or do i need to put in more time, and is there a limit on the practice time I can set for it before it becomes pointless to put more time in?  And if my understanding is correct spending 0 on the current off/def means they just won't increase in IQ, but also won't lose IQ rating?

I am trying to switch from a fcp to man and flex to triangle.  I don't have the depth/stamina/speed to run fcp, but I have plenty of high ath/def players to run a man.
7/25/2014 6:01 PM
Depends on previous category, getting to B- I have noticed is fairly easy, I mostly can get incoming freshman to B- in 1 season with 10 minutes on the floor. With no playing time typically its  C+. Once on the floor starting players move very quickly, getting up to A+ or even A seems more difficult, I've seen other coaches say it takes a season or 2 to fully transition.

My last time I did it, I ran the old offense all season and trained the new one, then next season I used the new offense and it transitioned smoothly from there. So overall it took 2 seasons to be 100% up and running... expect some rough parts tho, higher turnover rates and defense may struggle so be prepared to bunker down.
7/25/2014 6:31 PM
Well running a fcp my whole bench gets 12-18 minutes a game, while running a man i feel would get closer to 6-12 minutes, so if what you say is true I could get my freshman to a B-.

Do freshman learn different sets better than older players like seniors or is based more of of gpa and playing time?
7/25/2014 6:49 PM
Minutes of practice, work ethic and high school gpa contribute to how quickly players learn the O/D sets. My experience has been that work ethic seems more important than the HS gpa. I haven't noticed a correlation with playing time, as my redshirt freshman seem to have the same IQs as players who are starting / getting 10+ minutes as freshman.

I think the general feeling is that there are diminishing returns when practicing over ~20 minutes, but it could start sooner. Maybe someone else will chime in. That isn't to say that practicing 23 minutes or 25 minutes isn't worth it in some cases. 

Most freshman will get to a B- by the end of the first year with 20-25 minutes of practice. By the end of the 2nd year, most players will be ~ B+, although if you have really high WE you might be able to get to an A-, and with really poor work ethic it might only be a B.  It usually takes the last 2 seasons to get to an A/A+. Some players never get to an A+, especially if they have poor work ethic.

If you are switching to a new set, the freshman and seniors should learn the new set at roughly the same rate, with the main difference being their WE/hs GPA, ie both freshman and seniors would be about around a B- by the end of that first year of practice.
7/25/2014 10:08 PM
this is a reference chart I have used for a long time -

• Iguana1's BBIQ Practice Minute Chart: These are the ranges
    I've found based on the 4 seasons since the iq grading has
    changed.
    The number on the left assumes a "fast" learner.  WE of 80 and
    GPA over 3.2.  The number on the right is for a slower learner.
    WE around 40, GPA under 2.5.
    Of course there are extreme cases on both ends.  I had a player
    with a WE of 11 that took about 20% longer than the second
    number.

• F   > D-      50-75
      D- > D       50-75
      D   > D+    50-75
      D+ > C-     50-75     total F  > C-    200-300

• C- > C     100-150
      C  > C+   100-150
      C+ > B-   120-200    total  C- > B-  320-500    total  F  > B-   520-800

• B- > B     290-400
      B  > B+   290-400    total  B- > B+  580-800    total  F  > B+   1100-1600

• B+ > A-   375-500
      A- > A     575-775
      A  > A+   450-625    total  B+ > A+  1400-1900  total  F  > A+   2500-3500

7/26/2014 12:36 AM
so following this chart using the right side numbers I could possibly get my team to B- ratings  assuming all players are 40 we 2.5 gpa and starting at "f" rating in 800 practice minutes, so 2 practices of 23 min per practice is 46 min/day  800/46 is 17 days real life days, so around 1 full season or sooner as players are not all 40 we 2.5 gpa and f rating

I just want to know if I did that right and read the chart correctly
7/26/2014 3:17 PM
there are about 30 practice sessions in a WIS season x 23 min = 690 min which should still be enough to get all but the poor WE, poor gpa students to B- if they started at F.
7/26/2014 8:46 PM
okay thanks for that info, i did not know they number of practices
7/26/2014 9:30 PM
I think that there are 34 practices but I could be wrong.
7/28/2014 3:48 PM
Posted by shaf5576 on 7/28/2014 3:48:00 PM (view original):
I think that there are 34 practices but I could be wrong.
You're correct. 
7/28/2014 4:54 PM
How fast can IQ increase? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.