D+ Hartford makes D1 Final 4 Phelan Topic

Title says it all
8/3/2014 1:46 AM
Lost in the Final Four but nice to see a true Cinderella, so rare in this game.

www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx
8/3/2014 2:54 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The magic of the FCP that still exists in this game is what is ridiculous.
8/3/2014 4:45 AM
I was going to mention that except that a couple of the teams that Hartford knocked off also ran a FCP.
8/3/2014 5:14 AM
darn  :)
8/3/2014 9:48 AM
5 seniors. 5 juniors. IQ matters.
8/3/2014 10:22 AM
Sorry to be "that guy", but the fact people will complain so emphatically over something that happens about once every two years is a joke. HOW DARE A NON 750+ RATED TEAM EVER MAKE IN A RUN IN THE NT!!!

I recall the last time a similar team made a run, same type of dialog:

Quote post by uglyskunk3 on 12/15/2012 10:34:00 AM:
mm_harmon, don't take it personally. Try to be rational and look at your team. Explain on what planet your team deserved to have been in the championship game. I don't care if you are the John Wooden of coaches, that team, with those players, has no business in that game. For you to beat Providence is an indictment of how bad the current HD system is. He has a team full of amazing players, yet he got beat by a school with one guy over 80 in athlete. It ain't personal, heck I don't even know you, but it is about the numbers and they don't add up.

www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx
8/3/2014 10:47 AM
IQ + FCP + Spd + Per + creative coaching + some luck= good cinderella story
8/3/2014 10:50 AM
Love it! Nice job wizard!

He had not just great IQs, but also a great group of shooters, high stamina and good FT shooting. They could have lost in the 1st round, but a team built like that is obviously going to be unpredictable and some risky gameplanning also helped out.

I'll be interested to see the prestige bump they get following the champ game.
8/3/2014 11:19 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 8/3/2014 10:47:00 AM (view original):
Sorry to be "that guy", but the fact people will complain so emphatically over something that happens about once every two years is a joke. HOW DARE A NON 750+ RATED TEAM EVER MAKE IN A RUN IN THE NT!!!

mm_harmon, don't take it personally. Try to be rational and look at your team. Explain on what planet your team deserved to have been in the championship game. I don't care if you are the John Wooden of coaches, that team, with those players, has no business in that game. For you to beat Providence is an indictment of how bad the current HD system is. He has a team full of amazing players, yet he got beat by a school with one guy over 80 in athlete. It ain't personal, heck I don't even know you, but it is about the numbers and they don't add up.

+1
Congrats to Hartford and thewizard17 on a tremendous run!
8/3/2014 2:47 PM
That was some very creative coaching on the part of wizard...not only was his post-season game plan completely different from those during the regular season, but they were extremely different from game to game. Very nicely done.

It's refreshing to see from time to time that gameplanning can still play a large part in the outcome of games.
8/3/2014 3:46 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 8/3/2014 10:47:00 AM (view original):

The fact that you're recalling specific posts that happened over 18 months ago is a bit.....scary.  Might want to pick up a hobby or two outside of HD because you are waaaaay to "into" this one.  Or, you just might have an exceptional memory, there's always that I suppose.

Oh, and just because it only happens once every two years or so still doesn't mean that there's not something wrong with the results.  You also didn't address the fact that this was basically the equivalent of a very high end D2 team making a run to the D1 Final Four. 
8/3/2014 6:18 PM (edited)
Posted by MyGeneration on 8/3/2014 10:22:00 AM (view original):
5 seniors. 5 juniors. IQ matters.
IQ does matter.  Problem is, Hartford's first three opponents had no worse of a team IQ than they did and in Miami's case, arguably better. 
8/3/2014 6:21 PM
Emy, do you think that this team was any worse than the Butler, George Mason, or Florida Gulf Coast teams that made it wayyyy further than expected?
8/3/2014 8:02 PM
1234 Next ▸
D+ Hartford makes D1 Final 4 Phelan Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.