In the real world, NCAA just got bent over... Topic

… by a federal judge. 

WIS recruiting changes coming? =D

8/8/2014 8:50 PM
No changes needed from me - I've been paying my recruits for years!
8/8/2014 10:06 PM
It's about time the person doing the ****ing all these years finally got ****ed.
8/9/2014 1:25 AM
i think it was a very important step, but i feel like the judge really walked up to the line without crossing it. the judge agreed the NCAA was unfair, that they could not withhold money from student athletes for certain things, like proceeds from using your image in a video game. however, because the NCAA can still cap payouts at the "true cost of attendance", that by itself, IMO, is not a game changer. that effectively keeps amateur status. 

i do think its a huge step in the sense that it could easily pave the way for more changes. with this groundwork, its seemingly inevitable that people will challenge the issue on the next front.

i thought the ruling had a couple interesting sidenotes. there was the ability for a school to put money in a trust for the player, i don't recall the details exactly but it was a fairly small amount, like 5k/year or something. to me, that is sort of crossing that line in the sand - where suddenly players can get more than the true cost of attending school. once they can get 20k over 4 years, why not 50k? 100k? the other interesting thing was the judge said the NCAA was allowed to force a school to give all recruits in the same class, the same amount of money towards the scholarship (this isn't related to the video game thing, but addressing how schools can give players more money towards their scholarship, just on its own, up to the true cost of attendance).
8/10/2014 11:59 AM (edited)
The judge also spelled out which sources of revenue that would be exempt from revenue sharing with players
8/9/2014 7:58 PM
In the real world, NCAA just got bent over... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.