For a game dominated by the Big 6 conferences .... Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
That is such a sad story, I am going to cry myself to sleep on a luxurious 680 thread count, 700 fill power, Big 6 pillow. But wait, I only have a $9.99 Ikea Gosa Vadd mid-major pillow. #Big6"Problems"
8/13/2014 10:11 AM (edited)
How about we just take off the minimum prestige so smaller schools aren't at such a disadvantage...
8/13/2014 10:12 AM
Helping out small schools in D1 and lowering the hiring requirements for D1 are some very common things I see in this forum. Seble did mention awhile ago about some recruiting overhaul, hopefully both of those topics hit the update that is coming someday
8/13/2014 11:12 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I usually have the same reaction as the OP when the national awards come out. But, shortly after I get to feeling like HD mine as well throw the mid major and below D1 coaches a bone since they are unlikely to taste much NT success as the game is set up now.
8/13/2014 11:40 AM
Paul Roberson on my Creighton team is a perfect example of why not to change the current formula for chosing AA's.
He was recruited with a D+.
He was the #145th ranked PG in Allen
He had alot of potential, but needed a RS season plus 3 more to begin to realize some of it.
As a junior he was just named first team AA in Allen.
There hasn't been a player drafted from the Valley in Allen for more than 20+ seasons.
After next season, he will be drafted. Unless he's injured he will be asked to score even more next season than the 17ppg or so he put up this season.
If he is drafted.... if he again recieves some National AA attention, he will help our program potential-wise alot.
In the constant struggle to get your head above water in a mid to low major conference.... this one tiny bone, that is nearly meaningless to a big-6 team... means 10x more to me at Creighton than it does at any of my Big6 teams.
Mully has played the game forever and knows all of this..... just thought I'd mention it to anyone reading this thread that thought they agreed with his mini-rant...LOL
8/13/2014 5:28 PM
Posted by mullycj on 8/13/2014 11:32:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MyGeneration on 8/13/2014 10:11:00 AM (view original):
That is such a sad story, I am going to cry myself to sleep on a luxurious 680 thread count, 700 fill power, Big 6 pillow. But wait, I only have a $9.99 Ikea Gosa Vadd mid-major pillow. #Big6"Problems"
Your contributions to the thread are helpfull as always.
My bad. I am such an idiot! I forgot to do this to make clear that I was joking:  

I apologize for any upset my comments may have created. 

I remain,

Sincerely yours,

-- MyGen 
8/13/2014 6:08 PM (edited)
One big factor: Big 6 starting players play way fewer minutes in HD than in real life. Right now in Naismith D1, there are only four Big 6 players playing more than 35 mpg. In real-life D1, there were 27 players last season from Big 6 schools who played more than 35 mpg. (I'm using the schools HD considers Big 6 to keep it apples-to-apples.)

When star players at big-name schools play a crapload of mins, they're going to be very tough to beat for awards. But when they're playing 25 mpg...
8/13/2014 7:11 PM
its clearly unrealistic and silly, but it does help offset the more unreasonable recruit generation that favors the big 6. don't touch it until after recruit gen is fixed, is my vote (and i don't mean immediately after - there are probably half a hundred more important issues).
8/13/2014 7:21 PM
mizzou - here is the problem for the mid majors that no-one has mentioned here.

When the email came out this AM I took a breath and was HAPPY none of my players were on it.   Since national awards affect early entry, I DON'T WANT any of my players showing up on this list.  I think it HELPS the mid-majors if more potential Big 6 EEs make All American.

So yes, IMO its stupid and unrealistic.  But I honestly wont shed a tear if it doesn get fixed.   I just wanted to open up the discussion.
8/13/2014 10:10 PM
I'm not sure how having AA players helps non-Big 6 teams.
8/14/2014 12:37 AM
It doesnt.  My point in the last post was that it actually hurts them.
8/14/2014 2:51 AM
Posted by mullycj on 8/13/2014 10:10:00 PM (view original):
mizzou - here is the problem for the mid majors that no-one has mentioned here.

When the email came out this AM I took a breath and was HAPPY none of my players were on it.   Since national awards affect early entry, I DON'T WANT any of my players showing up on this list.  I think it HELPS the mid-majors if more potential Big 6 EEs make All American.

So yes, IMO its stupid and unrealistic.  But I honestly wont shed a tear if it doesn get fixed.   I just wanted to open up the discussion.
Exactly what I was going to post. The bias toward mid-major players in these awards hurts them, as it makes the few top-level players they get even more likely to leave early.
8/14/2014 8:56 AM
You boys are playing a different game than I am.
I coached the Zags when we lost 2 EE's every season for years.... the game changed.
There are 15 AA awards that matter some small secret amount.
Of the 15 in Allen..... 2, went to players from a non Big6 team who were not seniors... both players are returning for their senior seasons.
In Mully's example.....
Smith had 9 players from non Big6 six conferences... which is alot, however, 8 of those were seniors, so their coaches are probably happy about it...... one at Air Force was a junior and he's coming back for his senior year also.
I don't for a minute disagree that 9 out of 15 AA awards being given to small programs players is realistic.
I just disagree that it's being harmful to the game or small programs.
I think Big6 programs have about 99% of the advantages in the current game and I personally see this one tiny part as a small one for the little guy.

I think the reason I feel as strongly as I do about this is my kid at Creighton (Robertson) is kind of the poster-child for this thread.
If he was on a Big6 team of mine he is just ok. His BH is a problem. He's probably going to only score about 10ppg since I will have 2-3 other/better scoring options and I don't want too much distro making him turn it over more than he does allready.
But the AA awards are Stat-driven. Statistically he had a very good season. Next season he (should) have an even better one.
I would argue he had more to do with my ranking, RPI, and making the post-season than any big6 PG did for his team..... In my book he was an AA.
Is he the best PG in Allen...LOL, not even close. Probably not in the top20.
If he makes the AA list next season as well. He might get drafted mid to low first round.
That is significant to the Creighton program. We are in a struggle to move our prestige upwards so we can recruit players that are decent.
We really need anything we can get and I see the AA's as a tiny bonus (at least in this case), to us and in no way what-so-ever a problem.
8/14/2014 10:16 AM (edited)
For a game dominated by the Big 6 conferences .... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.