Best way to recruit D2 dropdowns Topic

Does it matter whether you use 40/40 or 10 ST+scholly for both, to try and get dropdowns?

40/40 is cheaper, but do scouting trips have a better chance of working?

Also for when recruits are a little to far away to send ST, would 40/40 work or 1/2 hv or a campus visit a good idea?

Quick Edit:

Minimum Ath for a big man? 30ish
8/22/2014 3:44 PM (edited)
If a guy starts on your D2 search list, you need to first call him (or the coach) and see if you are a backup option.  If you are, the only way to pull him down is to send 10 STs.  If you wait awhile and you get a message from the kid saying he's suddenly interested in your program, then he's dropped to you and is now a dropdown.  I've had very little success with the 40/40 thing for dropdowns, even with A+ prestige.  Once a guy drops, I usually send 2 HV or a CV to get considered.  If it's pretty late in recruiting, a single HV can do the trick.  

But until the guy is pulled down or drops down to you, the 40/40 method for a guy on your D2 list won't really work (maybe other coaches have had success, but I have not).

8/22/2014 3:57 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 8/22/2014 3:57:00 PM (view original):
If a guy starts on your D2 search list, you need to first call him (or the coach) and see if you are a backup option.  If you are, the only way to pull him down is to send 10 STs.  If you wait awhile and you get a message from the kid saying he's suddenly interested in your program, then he's dropped to you and is now a dropdown.  I've had very little success with the 40/40 thing for dropdowns, even with A+ prestige.  Once a guy drops, I usually send 2 HV or a CV to get considered.  If it's pretty late in recruiting, a single HV can do the trick.  

But until the guy is pulled down or drops down to you, the 40/40 method for a guy on your D2 list won't really work (maybe other coaches have had success, but I have not).

Most targets I sent call to coach and got message like "if top options don't fall through, then I would consider" and then a few cycles later gotten a message from the recruit saying,"interested in your school, call me or my top choices didn't fall through"  These would be considered Drop-downs and you would say 2 HV or CV + Scholarship?

Some targets, I have gotten a back-up message, but have not gotten 2nd message saying options have fallen through, but are being considered by D2 sim program with word on the street, being "he is very open to other offers, or keeping options wide open" is this someone I could pulldown with 10 ST or do I continue to wait and see if D2 goes after him or I get a dropdown message?  What if a D2 player has replied with "back-up option" response and is still not being considered by any school, is this a good target for 10 ST/schol or do I need to wait more?

Is the 40/40 method solid for D3 recruits at least or is it still risky?(I've only done it once and it was in a battle)

Thanks

8/22/2014 4:09 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 8/22/2014 4:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by darnoc29099 on 8/22/2014 3:57:00 PM (view original):

Most targets I sent call to coach and got message like "if top options don't fall through, then I would consider" and then a few cycles later gotten a message from the recruit saying,"interested in your school, call me or my top choices didn't fall through"  These would be considered Drop-downs and you would say 2 HV or CV + Scholarship?

Some targets, I have gotten a back-up message, but have not gotten 2nd message saying options have fallen through, but are being considered by D2 sim program with word on the street, being "he is very open to other offers, or keeping options wide open" is this someone I could pulldown with 10 ST or do I continue to wait and see if D2 goes after him or I get a dropdown message?  What if a D2 player has replied with "back-up option" response and is still not being considered by any school, is this a good target for 10 ST/schol or do I need to wait more?

Is the 40/40 method solid for D3 recruits at least or is it still risky?(I've only done it once and it was in a battle)

Thanks

Yes to your first paragraph.

If a D2 sim is on a kid, you'll have to pull them down.  You've already alluded to it, but it's always smart to wait until that first WOTS comes out so you aren't blowing your budget trying to recruit a kid the sim is *tight* with.  But yes, 10 or so STs (there's no magic number, it varies) should do the trick.  And then you can recruit with HVs after that.  If it's later in recruiting the the D2 kid is still available, you can either gamble and keep waiting him out (until he drops) or try and pull him down.  On day 4, I've only needed 7 STs to pull kids down; this isn't a hard and fast rule, but the later recruiting goes the less effort it sometimes takes to pull kids down.  

So, the 40/40 method is a lot about cost effectiveness and is gonna cost you $1100 when you throw in the schollie.  I only look to do this if the kid is pretty far away, where a couple HVs could cost $1500 or a CV costs the same.  If the kid is local, 2 HV should do the trick and you get WAY more considering credit with HVs than you do phone calls and letters.  If it's a kid I know I'm willing to battle for from the start, I'll probably go with a start + schollie to get considered or the HV/CV route.  If it's someone longer distance where battling is going to be tougher, I'm somewhere between the 40/40 and start + schollie...all depends on everything else going on.
8/22/2014 4:24 PM
Okay thank you show much, I've put these tactics into action and hope to land a good class, and continue to do so!
8/22/2014 4:47 PM
To answer your final question: raise your standards to 40s ATH for big men. Barring a special case, I don't recruit 30s ATH guys unless they have high potential there. 
8/22/2014 5:15 PM
Posted by jsajsa on 8/22/2014 5:16:00 PM (view original):
To answer your final question: raise your standards to 40s ATH for big men. Barring a special case, I don't recruit 30s ATH guys unless they have high potential there. 
I try not to and in my past I've only signed 1 big man, who was 34, but High/High and sitting at 47 still blue as a soph.

I was wondering if people would sign 30's ath even if low/average pot if they had high reb/sb potential as if I remember there was a top team someone asked how they were doing well(D2 i think) as they were weak ath/def, but had high reb/sb to cover that up, and didn't know if that was a possible idea as I was debating going after 2 big men, but I think I'm going to go for just 1 and sign another SF/SG instead.

Also one of the targets was being looked at by a D2 team, but still had dropdown message with word on street that options are wide open, so I sent 10 ST + Scholly, and his response to scholarship was:

Coach, I'm really struggling right now - trying to figure out how to best let you know that I just don't see myself playing for you next season. I have some pretty appealing options right now, but just in case, I'll keep your offer in case those fall through.

I'm not exactly sure if that is a message to keep going after or I should wait a bit, and see what the D2 team does(go/leave)  Word on street still says options wide open?  Would HV + multiple CV be enough, or should I look at another guy and wait?

8/22/2014 5:30 PM (edited)
To your last question-I would send a few HVs, one at a time.  If they all get rejected, then you probably haven't pulled him all the way down just yet and would need more STs.  If he accepts any of the HVs, it means he's been pulled down and you can just use HVs or CVs going forward.  And fwiw, the consensus is use HVs when the kid is < 360 miles from you.
8/22/2014 5:36 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 8/22/2014 5:36:00 PM (view original):
To your last question-I would send a few HVs, one at a time.  If they all get rejected, then you probably haven't pulled him all the way down just yet and would need more STs.  If he accepts any of the HVs, it means he's been pulled down and you can just use HVs or CVs going forward.  And fwiw, the consensus is use HVs when the kid is < 360 miles from you.
well he rejected and now another D2 college is being considered so I'll back-off from him and target someone else.
8/22/2014 8:15 PM
Best way to recruit D2 dropdowns Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.