coaching HD like you would RL Topic

Posted by colonels19 on 8/30/2014 9:17:00 PM (view original):
Always wanted to run Fastbreak-FCP, til I discovered that Fastbreak is a pretty dismal offense in this game
fastbreak is awesome...
8/30/2014 10:16 PM
I respectfully disagree, I think motion is where it's at.
8/31/2014 9:34 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 8/31/2014 9:34:00 AM (view original):
I respectfully disagree, I think motion is where it's at.
motion is awesome too, but that doesn't preclude fastbreak being awesome.

fb-fcp is rather different than other systems in this game, its not really surprising when anyone struggles with it. i don't think its an indictment of fastbreak, however. i think there are many situations where fastbreak is a great offense, arguably the best available. fastbreak as a pairing with zone is excellent, it isn't as favorable stamina/fatigue wise as other zone pairings, but that can be a good thing. it makes you less reliant on super stars from a defensive standpoint, able to better utilize depth - which is very valuable at upper echelons of play. on the flip side, fastbreak is a an excellent star-based offense, which plays right into zone defense. to me, fastbreak is basically the only offense that is exceptional on all fronts, scoring wise. its a strong offense to utilize big men, its a great 3 point shooting offense, it works great with a balanced team, and with a star oriented offense. also, its probably the best in terms of getting to the line. you have to pay for that - more fatigue - but that hits the opponent, too. also, about a turnover a game. but the overall ability to utilize offensive talent, its just awesome, its easily my favorite offense for unbalanced offensive teams.

fastbreak also pairs great with man in high d1, its arguably the best high d1 system, along with motion/press and motion/man, IMO. in low d1, d2, and d3, it pairs great with press for an ultra fatiguing system - but you have to play it totally different - stamina becomes as important a stat as any. all in all, i think fastbreak is drastically under utilized in this game, along with zone. both are not as well understood as the other sets, and people often jump into them trying to play them like another system - which generally doesn't work so well. fastbreak is unique among the offenses, in being unique - the other 3 are pretty similar - but FB is like the defenses, all very different. i think many people who try FB or zone think they suck simply because its different and they aren't used to it yet. i *hated* fastbreak, it was what i played first in HD, and it drove me crazy - i was trying to imitate all the great coaches in the game, none of which played it - so no surprises there. i also hated zone when i first played it. but, lately i've played both quite a bit, and understand i was doing it wrong in those cases. both sets actually have some great strengths to them, but you have to cater to those strengths. its just like press, which presumably you understand, try to run press with 10 men, and you will think it sucks, too. but it actually doesn't, and neither do FB or zone. 
8/31/2014 3:01 PM (edited)
So you're saying that you had an opinion on something one way awhile back and now your opinion on the same something is different? Huh.
9/1/2014 2:18 AM
What are your thoughts on tempo with regard to FB?  Next season my teams depth will be a definite strongpoint, so I am not concerned about the fatigue hit from running fast paced compared to normal.  What I am concerned about is the potential for more turnovers and fouls.  My team is also strong from the FT line, will running fast pace cause me to draw more fouls?  Is fast paced against good pressing teams always a bad idea?

I know conventional wisdom says to run fast paced when you're the better team and slow down (or normal in the case of FB) when you're not, but I've heard this isn't necessarily true with FB.

9/1/2014 7:13 PM
It isn't necessarily true with any offense. It can also depend on HOW the other team is better. If they are better because they have a few superior players up front, but you are worse overall yet have more depth on the back end ... Might still pay to play some uptempo, for example.
9/2/2014 10:51 AM
◂ Prev 12
coaching HD like you would RL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.