differences between D2 and D3 Topic

Two other differences between D2 and D3:

- Ineligibles are much more attractive at D3 than D2, because they never have to sit out a year and will definitely show up on campus.
- Internationals are more prevalent at D2 than D3, because you've got more budget to spend on them.

9/2/2014 1:08 PM
Posted by rogelio on 9/2/2014 11:58:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/2/2014 10:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rogelio on 9/2/2014 12:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 9/2/2014 12:03:00 AM (view original):
are there different strategies either recruiting or gameplay?

I assume recruiting is more nationally with a bigger budget for each school and that prestige will play a bigger factor.
You must unlearn what you have learned. In this game, as recruiting currently works, the larger your budget the more you can dominate your LOCAL market! There are more coaches that recruit nationally at D3 than D2, I'd wager. The same issue exists at every level: if a recruit is worth signing at all, then a local team will have an advantage in a battle over a distant team.

Prestige doesn't matter until D1; at least not a significant difference, except insofar as the higher prestige team may immediately be able to put recruiting effort into a player, while the lower prestige team has to pull down first or may not be able to recruit that same kid at all. That makes more difference than the small % bump on effort that an A+ D2 team receives on its effort over, say, a C+ team (D1 is a different animal on that point).

I would caution against spending too much budget on FSS for distant states. Your prime area is within 70 at both levels, then within 200, then within 360. Check a distance chart on HV, CV & ST costs or make one of your own during your next recruiting cycle. It's eye-opening.
interesting that you list within 70 as prime area A... rare to see that. any particular reason? the advantage of a 60 mile vs 80 or 190 mile opponent is pretty minimal, seems to me.
What AB said.   I will often preach that coaches should ignore listed divisions in HD.  In GD, no one ever gets pulled down and no one ever drops; what you "see" is all you get.  In HD, you need to watch for dropdowns & pulldowns by sending a coach call or phone call.  Often enough, and most often within ~70, a local higher listed division recruit will give the immediately recruitable response, rather than the backup option.   
More than that, I also sometimes get a backup option from someone who would normally tell me to get lost within that range.
9/2/2014 1:19 PM
I would also say that you also have to look at the top D2 programs and the players they recruit. Too many D3 coaches move up to D2, and don't have the patience, or don't do enough scouting to find D2 talent. A lot end up slumming for D3 recruits. Back in the old days you couldn't just jump to D2 without winning at D3. Now I think a lot of inexperienced coaches move up to D2 and end up recruiting like a good D3 team, instead of a D2 team. If you take your time to wait for D1 players to drop, (or pull them down), avoid battles, and scout more states, you can build a winning team, and you won't be looking at recruits considering D3 teams. You will be shocked at how many quality recruits drop after signing starts, how much cheaper the scouting service is, and how much less competition there is for recruits.
9/5/2014 9:50 PM
I just tried the "wait until after signings start to FSS and recruit" strategy (not by my own choice, computer issues and real life conspired against me at the same time damn it). Never again, not for me anyway. Maybe I was just really unlucky this time, but there wasn't much left to choose from except garbage and trash. Nope, not gonna fall into that trap again, thank you very much.
9/6/2014 3:28 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 9/6/2014 3:28:00 AM (view original):
I just tried the "wait until after signings start to FSS and recruit" strategy (not by my own choice, computer issues and real life conspired against me at the same time damn it). Never again, not for me anyway. Maybe I was just really unlucky this time, but there wasn't much left to choose from except garbage and trash. Nope, not gonna fall into that trap again, thank you very much.
I've done that strategy for most of my past ten seasons (D2 and D3), and there's definitely some level of luck involved. A couple of times I just haven't been able to find enough worthwhile guys to fill all of my spots, even while FSS'ing 30+ states. On the other hand, I've also had some really good recruiting classes, including two back-to-back that eventually resulted in an NC. I think it's especially effective when you're starting at a low prestige.

You have to work really hard to make this strategy work, and even then it's not guaranteed, but then again, neither is the conventional hit-'em-early strategy.
9/8/2014 7:06 PM
Posted by bhansalid00 on 9/8/2014 7:06:00 PM (view original):
I've done that strategy for most of my past ten seasons (D2 and D3), and there's definitely some level of luck involved. A couple of times I just haven't been able to find enough worthwhile guys to fill all of my spots, even while FSS'ing 30+ states. On the other hand, I've also had some really good recruiting classes, including two back-to-back that eventually resulted in an NC. I think it's especially effective when you're starting at a low prestige.

You have to work really hard to make this strategy work, and even then it's not guaranteed, but then again, neither is the conventional hit-'em-early strategy.
Like I said, I've really only tried it once, so it's very possible that I just hit one of those "dry and unlucky" times. I've got another team that is a prime candidate to try that strategy again, maybe I'll see if I have any better luck the second time.
9/8/2014 9:19 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 9/8/2014 9:19:00 PM (view original):

Like I said, I've really only tried it once, so it's very possible that I just hit one of those "dry and unlucky" times. I've got another team that is a prime candidate to try that strategy again, maybe I'll see if I have any better luck the second time.
i can't stand that method either... the prospect of letting someone i really want go without even trying to get them so i can save money for later... its like fingernails on a chalk board. some coaches are really successful with the method though, so i won't bash it. however, knowing your recruiting style, i'd be pretty surprised if you came around to it with any number of attempts. there's a reason you are one of the most successful d1 recruiters ever, and its not because you sit around with your hands in your lap for 2 days ;) i mean, obviously, they are talking lower divisions... but still. we are creatures of habit, and that wait and see strategy can't be further from how you play.
9/9/2014 11:26 AM
With my Ok State squad I just put 120 scouting trips into a 4 star (717 overall) recruit. I have C+ prestige and was 60 miles away. I wasn't able to pull him down even with that effort. 
9/9/2014 11:54 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/9/2014 11:26:00 AM (view original):

i can't stand that method either... the prospect of letting someone i really want go without even trying to get them so i can save money for later... its like fingernails on a chalk board. some coaches are really successful with the method though, so i won't bash it. however, knowing your recruiting style, i'd be pretty surprised if you came around to it with any number of attempts. there's a reason you are one of the most successful d1 recruiters ever, and its not because you sit around with your hands in your lap for 2 days ;) i mean, obviously, they are talking lower divisions... but still. we are creatures of habit, and that wait and see strategy can't be further from how you play.
It's not an either-or. Obviously, if I see a local kid that I really want, I'm not going to ignore him and wait for two days to see who else is out there. But at D2 and D3, there are a ton of coaches who reach for decent-but-not-elite prospects early because they feel they have to get someone. And a lot of times those coaches would be better served by waiting, casting a much wider net, and looking for real difference-makers.

And sure, D1 is a completely different animal, but this is specifically a thread about D2 / D3.
9/9/2014 1:36 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/9/2014 11:26:00 AM (view original):

Thank you for the compliment, although I'm not sure that it's all that accurate. Sure, I've managed to pull in some really good classes from time to time, but I've also had my share of misses simply because I screwed up my budget. You're right though, I used to swing for the fences, no doubt about it. Go big or go home, right?!
9/9/2014 4:32 PM
◂ Prev 12
differences between D2 and D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.