Still trying to pull a DI undecided player Topic

My assistant coach said it would take a miracle, do I believe in miracle. Already did the STX10 thing. The player hasn't received any offers. He lives 10 miles from the Campus.

What to do next?

Is it possible to land him?
9/7/2014 2:39 PM
I haven't gotten that one in a while, but I think it's a no-go.  Can you post the whole thing?  Go ahead and redact the name, of course.

9/7/2014 3:52 PM
you can never pull that player down... the do you believe in miracles means no.
9/8/2014 10:47 AM
That is exactly right. I tried it one time - kept recruiting and the miracle never happened. It means there is no way.
9/8/2014 10:54 PM
It also appears that the team you're referring to is your Emmanuel team in D3 Tark. That team has a C+ prestige which is going to make it pretty hard to pull down a decent D2 player, let alone a D1 player. Haven't played D3 very much lately, but I'd have to think that trying to pull a D1 player with a C+ prestige D3 team is virtually (well, IS) impossible. Any D3 experts want to chime in and confirm or dispute this?
9/9/2014 2:08 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 9/9/2014 2:08:00 AM (view original):
It also appears that the team you're referring to is your Emmanuel team in D3 Tark. That team has a C+ prestige which is going to make it pretty hard to pull down a decent D2 player, let alone a D1 player. Haven't played D3 very much lately, but I'd have to think that trying to pull a D1 player with a C+ prestige D3 team is virtually (well, IS) impossible. Any D3 experts want to chime in and confirm or dispute this?
The consensus is you have to be both A+ AND the kid has to be within 70 miles to successfully pulldown from D1 to D3.
9/9/2014 10:38 AM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 9/9/2014 10:38:00 AM (view original):
The consensus is you have to be both A+ AND the kid has to be within 70 miles to successfully pulldown from D1 to D3.
if you meet those requirements and get a back-up message what do you estimate the chances of it actually happening assuming no other D2/D3 schools go after him?  something like 10% and should only be attempted if you are just filling your last spot and okay taking a redshirt if it doesn't work?
9/9/2014 12:13 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 9/9/2014 12:13:00 PM (view original):
if you meet those requirements and get a back-up message what do you estimate the chances of it actually happening assuming no other D2/D3 schools go after him?  something like 10% and should only be attempted if you are just filling your last spot and okay taking a redshirt if it doesn't work?
I've never been fortunate enough to get a backup message from a D1 recruit at D3, so I can only speculate based on what I've read in the forums.  If you go after the kid early it'll probably take closer to 15 STs to pull him down (compared to the normal 10).  I think the only deterrent to successfully pulling them down would be a higher division school coming in on the kid after you've pulled them down.  For this reason, I'd probably wait until later in day 2 or early day 3 before sending all those STs.  

I think the bigger reality here is at D3, you probably aren't going to land an absolute stud that started on your D1 list.  Either a low D1 program or D2 school is probably going to come along at some point if the kid is that good.  So, like many other aspects of recruiting you need to be able to decide who you can realistically sign without blowing your entire budget on someone only to come away empty handed.  
9/9/2014 12:47 PM
Assuming no other schools go after him?  100%.  If they give you a backup message they can be recruited, period.  I've done it with 8-10 scouting trips, it's not necessarily particularly different from pulling down a D2 guy IF the guys is willing to talk to you.  That's always the trick.

I'm pretty sure I did it once with A prestige as well (or at least had the guy say yes; I don't think I actually recruited him, somebody better from the D2 pool was available).  I don't know if there's really a hard line where it could never happen, but the lower your prestige is the lower the odds, and even at A to low A+ only very low D1 recruits will talk to you.
9/9/2014 6:45 PM
I am not sure prestige plays that big a part in pulling down a D2 player, maybe in D1. I think prestige plays a part with some players, like someone in Pennsylvania, a SF... he was DIII and kept laughing at me while I was doing my normal recruiting process. I spent over 1.3 k and he still would be laughing at my program. I took Emmanuel to practice pulling, did not really care about my first season recruit since to be competitive, you need how to pull and when to do so. Here are my thoughts :

1) Never pull before the signing period. I pulled a great PG, the second day of recruiting, he was going to sign up to my school but a DII showed up. It went all downhills from there. I think freshmen are harder to pull. I did pull a player that won't develop but had nice ratings from the get go with only 7 STS and he never dropped to DIII list. But he only had two years remaining.

2) Don't bother D1 unless you are willing to crash while recruiting. DIII ... not a lot of money.

3) You can pull with a guaranteed starting spot if you received a back-up option from a player and the signing period has started.

4) I am pretty sure the 40/40 method can work with undecided D2 players once the signing period has started.

Recruiting is about strategy... The game is won there.
9/9/2014 8:33 PM
I absolutely 100% disagree with your number 1 above. I almost always pull down the player I'm after as soon as I possibly can. Sometimes a bigger school swoops in and takes him, oh well that's a risk I take. But often, if a school is being considered by a player, it "scares" other coaches away, particularly those who are hesitant to battle. Also those coaches who WILL battle, but are outgunned (i.e., don't have enough cash/open schollies) won't attempt to recruit the player because they know it's a losing proposition (unless, of course, they're just ***** who are getting ready to quit and want to screw up someone else's team by killing their recruiting class. It's certainly happened before). Again, just my personal opinion, but I very, very much disagree with number one.

Also, the game isn't necessarily won during recruiting, but it can certainly be lost there.
9/9/2014 10:43 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 9/9/2014 12:47:00 PM (view original):
I've never been fortunate enough to get a backup message from a D1 recruit at D3, so I can only speculate based on what I've read in the forums.  If you go after the kid early it'll probably take closer to 15 STs to pull him down (compared to the normal 10).  I think the only deterrent to successfully pulling them down would be a higher division school coming in on the kid after you've pulled them down.  For this reason, I'd probably wait until later in day 2 or early day 3 before sending all those STs.  

I think the bigger reality here is at D3, you probably aren't going to land an absolute stud that started on your D1 list.  Either a low D1 program or D2 school is probably going to come along at some point if the kid is that good.  So, like many other aspects of recruiting you need to be able to decide who you can realistically sign without blowing your entire budget on someone only to come away empty handed.  
100% chance you can pull down that D1 with the backup message at D3. I have done it numerous times back in the day with my Menlo and Drew teams. 
9/10/2014 10:53 AM
Still trying to pull a DI undecided player Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.