Can I fire my freakin' scout??? Topic

Trying to get an eval on a guy, have done 8 scouting reports, and he's given me the same 6 attributes scouted over and over and won't give me ATH/SPD/DEF at all.

Subsequent reports should give you at least SOME new attributes. For ****'s sake.
9/11/2014 2:10 PM

What does the Scouting Service say?
9/11/2014 2:37 PM
Haven't you heard, grantduck. WIS is "working" on that, along with many other important changes. ;)
I feel your pain, bro.

skinndogg, I think he already knows high/norm/low from FSS. Now he's trying to find out high-high or just high.
9/11/2014 3:00 PM
If it's ATH/SPD/DEF, high high is rarely much above the min, and not all that common.  Honestly, while those are probably the most important attributes in the game, they are arguably the least important to get more detailed FSS information on.  It's not only possible but common for LP or PER to have 40 or 50+ points of growth potential if it's high-high.  That's good to know.  I guess the difference between 21 and 28 is still meaningful in some cases, but rarely critical.  Besides, with all those openings, you can afford a few more trips.
9/11/2014 3:17 PM
Posted by grantduck on 9/11/2014 2:10:00 PM (view original):
Trying to get an eval on a guy, have done 8 scouting reports, and he's given me the same 6 attributes scouted over and over and won't give me ATH/SPD/DEF at all.

Subsequent reports should give you at least SOME new attributes. For ****'s sake.
I was actually thinking about that yesterday.  Each one should be different.
9/11/2014 3:23 PM
Great insight, dahsdebater. I'm going to keep that in mind. Thanks!
9/11/2014 3:33 PM
I should probably be more careful with my wording if people are going to take that seriously.  Basically, it amounts to this:

If all you want to know about is ATH/SPD/DEF, most of the time you're better off just guessing 25 than spending money scouting it.  You'll almost never be off by more than 3 or 4 points in either direction with that guess.  Most of the time, 7 or 8 points in one attribute - even ATH - aren't going to make the difference between an adequate player and a stud you want to pull out all the stops for, or between a starter and a total waste of a scholarship.  In the vast majority of cases, when your answer is low-high anyway, 25 is still near the middle of the range, and the scouting hasn't provided you with ANY additional information.  If the difference between high/high and low/high in one of these typically low-capped ratings (low-capped potential) makes a difference deciding between two players, they're probably close enough not to be worth wasting the money trying to differentiate.  And if you're trying to use it to decide whether or not to battle, you'll almost never learn enough to be worth taking the scouting cash away from more economical recruiting efforts in your battle.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but in the vast majority of cases - well over 90% I think - the scouting trip info on ATH/SPD/DEF isn't worth spending a lot of money on.

Seems counterintuitive with the importance of those ratings, I know.  But no less true for that.
9/11/2014 4:00 PM
Buy FSS, FFS
9/11/2014 9:16 PM
grant, I don't think your scout works at alll.  When I was visiting a player's ciity, I saw your scout in a bar...both before and after the game. While I was in the restroom, he left, along with my scouting notes.
9/12/2014 4:25 AM
Can I fire my freakin' scout??? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.