When to pulldown? Topic

OK, so I know what it takes to pulldown somebody (thanks to all you coaches).  But, now heading into this recruiting period, my prestige is higher than I have ever had it (again thanks to you coaches).  My question is, when do I pulldown?  I usually wait until right before signing period to make sure nobody else is going after them.  Should I do it earlier this season?  Later?  Thanks for any advice!
9/11/2014 2:31 PM
I think you should look at the players right from the start. Send out your phone calls at the first recruiting period...if you get a good response and no one else is in on them, I go right for the scouting reports. It's true that you could get a d2 person come and snatch at the end, thus losing all your effort, but for the players you'd really want, waiting makes it even more likely that you'll not get them.
9/11/2014 5:43 PM
One thing I've noticed as I am with you and learning about pulldowns and learning timing as well is that unlike a regular recruit a pulldown may be contested without you even knowing because you can't see it until he's "considering." With that being said I've seen on some pretty stellar pulldowns get claimed early and nobody tries to contest and have even done this before. I staked claim on some pulldowns within 8 hours of recruiting started and never was contested, if they are really top tier pulldowns I can't fully anwser but 1 of them is 600+ rated his SO season. So far I like to go early and stake my ground and so far I haven't had any battles to worry about because many coaches will just "find another player." But don't 100% listen to me I am new and learning

Quick edit the 600+ is at D2
9/11/2014 6:05 PM
Like most answers to recruiting questions, there are so many factors to consider.  Personally, if I'm going to pull a guy down, I want to do it within the first couple of cycles because once they are considering someone else, it's not cost efficient to pull down and then start a battle.  
But I would say this, you need to get a feel of about what number rated recruits and and what distance of guys will give you a backup message, and then you need to see how good the players is, because if he too good, it's not worth pulling him down right away because it's likely a higher division team will go after him.  So on those guys, you have to wait.  But if you think you have a shot at the recruit and he's going to give you a backup message, I have, on many occasions pulled players down the first cycle.  Just don't spend all your money doing it, and make sure not to throw all your money away if other people get on the list the same cycle just because you already feel invested in the player.
9/11/2014 6:15 PM
You're getting some really good advice here. I target who I like during pre-recruiting and then check them out with FSS. After 6pm, I send out phone calls to those I'm interested in and wait for the responses. At the 8pm cycle, I read the feedback messages and see who is available to pull down. Then I make my choice of one player per position and send out the SVs and schollie. Note: I usually don't go after someone for every open position so I can have money to defend my choices, if necessary, and also to not make myself look vulnerable. The key as previously stated is to not shoot too high. You will eventually get a feel for the level of player you can go after based on your prestige. Personally, I never attempt to pull down anyone who is more than 360 miles from my campus because it is too expensive. Now, after signings start, if I still have cash and open positions, then it is a brand new ballgame.
9/11/2014 6:48 PM
Thank you for this.  It seems like everybody has little different thoughts but the main feeling is that you should attack within the first 3 or 4 cycles.
9/15/2014 11:52 AM
Put me in the depends category.

If the guy is local and IF I don't think he is in danger of being snatched up by a D1 team, I'll pull down early.

If he is outside of 200 miles, I'll wait until the morning of signing day.

Also, if I think the guy is going to drop, I'll wait. 

It really depends on location, your prestige and the quality of the recruit.

9/15/2014 4:34 PM
I just got into D2 for the first time in a long time. How many SV does it usually take to pull them down?
9/18/2014 11:55 PM
The best recruits will be pulled down in the first two cycles. Anything left over is just that, leftovers.
9/19/2014 12:52 AM
Posted by drichar138 on 9/18/2014 11:55:00 PM (view original):
I just got into D2 for the first time in a long time. How many SV does it usually take to pull them down?
I do 10 SV's. Most will take that but about 5-10% will want more. I do 5 at a time after that.
9/19/2014 12:53 AM
Your budget is a factor, as well.  If I only have 1 or 2 openings, I'll wait a little longer before trying a pulldown. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a player that may be 'too popular'. 
9/19/2014 4:55 AM
That is a good point, Alblack. On my D2 SF State, in the last season, I actually got all 3 of my recruits from my own division level. There were several decent ones who had good potential, and no close pulldowns who were worth it. Sometimes pull downs aren't any better than those in the regular list.
9/19/2014 6:43 PM
Always
9/19/2014 7:09 PM
When to pulldown? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.