The "Perfect" D3 Center Topic

Posted by artie40 on 9/24/2014 3:23:00 PM (view original):
I don't ever look at the stamina of the players I get. I would suppose if you played an up-tempo often, or in the press, you'd like someone who could be a useful player for 20+ minutes and there's a stamina floor. However, since I play the M2M, I don't even look at it.

TJ, you grab guys with WE under 10? I don't go below 30. Funnily enough, a LOT of the guys with many high potential attributes are saddled with low WE. I have a RS every year to give these players a boost.

My ideal D3 C would be very much like that player, but with higher LP.
It's certainly not the most important rating, but I think stamina is still useful in man. Especially when playing a team of similar talent. It's a great feeling game planning for a late tourney matchup and seeing that my best players are in the 85-90 STA range, and his best players are in the 70-75 range. And a not so great feeling when I'm on the other side of that.

As you mentioned stamina is particularly important in press... a lesson I continue to stubbornly learn with my first press team.
9/24/2014 3:31 PM
Posted by mrg1037 on 9/24/2014 3:31:00 PM (view original):
I don't ever look at the stamina of the players I get. I would suppose if you played an up-tempo often, or in the press, you'd like someone who could be a useful player for 20+ minutes and there's a stamina floor. However, since I play the M2M, I don't even look at it.

TJ, you grab guys with WE under 10? I don't go below 30. Funnily enough, a LOT of the guys with many high potential attributes are saddled with low WE. I have a RS every year to give these players a boost.

It's certainly not the most important rating, but I think stamina is still useful in man. Especially when playing a team of similar talent. It's a great feeling game planning for a late tourney matchup and seeing that my best players are in the 85-90 STA range, and his best players are in the 70-75 range. And a not so great feeling when I'm on the other side of that.

As you mentioned stamina is particularly important in press... a lesson I continue to stubbornly learn with my first press team.
I'll have to look at stamina in this way. I've not thought to cross check the stamina of my players against my opponents. I guess if I have a decided stamina edge, I'll game plan accordingly by upping my tempo

9/24/2014 3:37 PM

start looking :) stamina can be a deal breaker in those situations you described, but it matters everywhere. stamina is a special sort of rating - great sta doesn't really make a bad player any better - but it absolutely makes a great player elite. when you consider a stud player can play a good 20% more (easily) in close games, if he goes from ok to great stamina - thats a straight 20% increase in productivity of that player. you get him over a backup 20% of the time, that is huge, thats roughly as valuable as the guy playing the same number of minutes but being 20% better compared to the backup (the difference between the starter and backup, times 1.2). 

you definitely don't pass on great players because their sta isn't great, but when you get a great player with great sta, they contribute much more to the team, than if they didn't have the stamina. stamina is definitely important to consider at all levels, in all systems, and often should make the difference between which of 2 players is favored - people just don't look at it that way, in general. but they should!
9/24/2014 4:25 PM
oh, i didn't see the other comment to that. its not as much about tempo as just getting more out of your top players. i mean yeah, its good for fatigue levels if you are short handed or get in serious foul trouble, but when you already have the depth, its really about shifting minutes from your backups to your starters. the gap between starters and backups is big in almost all situations, so stamina is important in basically all situations. its more so the case when fatigue and foul trouble are particular concerns, but its at least always meaningful. in fb/fcp, stamina is possibly the single most important rating, a quality big given the option of +10 ath, +10 reb, or +10 sta, might actually want the +10 sta. depends on the situation i guess but still...

actually, to get away from theory-land, if i could add 10 points to 1 player on my kansas tark team, who run a 12 deep motion/press and are probably the title favorites, it would be 10 stamina to my starting SG, and i don't think anything else really comes close.
9/24/2014 4:32 PM (edited)
Posted by bhansalid00 on 9/24/2014 3:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 9/24/2014 3:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jsajsa on 9/24/2014 2:24:00 PM (view original):
His stamina + WE will hold him back, but he's a very nice player. It's a catch 22: Stamina will struggle to climb to starting capable level unless you start him early.

If we are bragging about our centers though, I'm very happy about my future 90+ ATH/DEF 70+ rebounding center. 11 LP be ****ed!
I often look for guys with flaws.

I'll search for dudes with STAM under 50 or WE under 10   just to see if I can find someone the masses gloss over.

Every now and then you can land of them guys super cheap.  One of the best guys I ever had was a 13 WE center I signed for $110.

Was that 13 WE center a guy you could give mins / starts to right away to build up his WE, or was it just a case where his starting values were awesome as-is?
He started from Day 1. &#160;His WE went from like 13-17-22-28.<br />
<br />
I think I was exaggerating when I said one of my best ever. &#160; He was certainly a very good player, probably similar to this guy maxed out. &#160;He was my first work ethic test thread in the forums.
9/24/2014 4:51 PM
I have a blanced team. Once someone is a JR they move into the starting role (usually). So all my recruits have 2 years as a backup, occasionally 3. Those limited minutes means I need WE>40.
9/24/2014 5:03 PM
Posted by tkimble on 9/24/2014 2:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 9/24/2014 2:36:00 PM (view original):
If you won't take a guy with that kind of potential and 34 WE you are shooting yourself.  Not in the foot, more like in the face.  40 is an absurdly high floor, especially to be a hard floor.
+1
+2, especially on a guy like with ratings that you can ignore in your practice plan. You can get 20+ minutes in Conditioning/rebounding/footwork right off the bat. That makes a big difference.
9/24/2014 5:21 PM

Guys under 10 are dicey. WE between 8-13 grow between 4-6ish if blue. Under that I am unsure of. If the cores are a high to start and/or I know I can start him as a freshman, I am not scared to take a guy like that.

My Baldwin Wallace team in rupp is full of low we guys. Probably to many but the team is still okay.
9/24/2014 6:33 PM
Didn't I see this recruit on that Finding Bigfoot show?
9/24/2014 7:36 PM
A SPD REB DE BLK LP PE BH P WE ST DU FT OVR
72 32  95 81 76 99 19 25 10 82 95 80 B- 766

This was the best C that I had in D3, and will likely never have someone like him again. He was paired with this guy that I got out of a JUCO, who had more potential when he left. 

70 4 94 86 75 76 27 10 2 63 72 50 B- 629
9/24/2014 9:35 PM (edited)
Posted by qb4usf on 9/24/2014 9:35:00 PM (view original):
A SPD REB DE BLK LP PE BH P WE ST DU FT OVR
72 32  95 81 76 99 19 25 10 82 95 80 B- 766

This was the best C that I had in D3, and will likely never have someone like him again. He was paired with this guy that I got out of a JUCO, who had more potential when he left. 

70 4 94 86 75 76 27 10 2 63 72 50 B- 629
And that is the perfect D3 center.
9/25/2014 5:51 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/24/2014 4:25:00 PM (view original):

start looking :) stamina can be a deal breaker in those situations you described, but it matters everywhere. stamina is a special sort of rating - great sta doesn't really make a bad player any better - but it absolutely makes a great player elite. when you consider a stud player can play a good 20% more (easily) in close games, if he goes from ok to great stamina - thats a straight 20% increase in productivity of that player. you get him over a backup 20% of the time, that is huge, thats roughly as valuable as the guy playing the same number of minutes but being 20% better compared to the backup (the difference between the starter and backup, times 1.2). 

you definitely don't pass on great players because their sta isn't great, but when you get a great player with great sta, they contribute much more to the team, than if they didn't have the stamina. stamina is definitely important to consider at all levels, in all systems, and often should make the difference between which of 2 players is favored - people just don't look at it that way, in general. but they should!

I've found STA to be a decent contributer to FT shooting. So when players are close, I look at those two things. I hate losing close games and shooting <60% on 25 FTs. I actually have no idea how players in college are so bad at FTs. As a very average varsity player I sat around 85%. As a coach, I would assign them 100 FTs a after being recruited. It takes maybe 20 minutes maximum. If you do it everyday from April (national signing day) on, you would have taken 18,000 FTs before practice officially begins. Even if you are doing it "wrong" you would be a much better free throw contributer.

9/25/2014 8:53 AM
I had a guy at Gallaudet (Naismith) seasons 52-55, Earl Dreiling, who finished at 90+ in ATH, REB, DEF, BLK, and LP.  He had 28 SPD, 1/1/1 PE/BH/P, and was a C- free throw shooter.  STA 82.  You can see his ratings midway through his senior season here.

He was a defensive stud, obviously, including a national DPotY.  But he wasn't an overwhelming offensive force... I could give him enough distro to get him to 22 or so PPG on 55% shooting but his percentage dropped if I ran his distro up too high, and even at the distro where he got to 22 ppg he committed 2+ TO a game.  
9/25/2014 11:00 AM
I picked up this guy and was shocked I could get him as a D3 team. www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx

He should be 80 ATH, 40 SPD, 90 REB, 80+ DEF, 80 BLK, 74 LP, 75 STA and B'ish FT
9/25/2014 1:39 PM
Posted by docmastermd on 9/24/2014 5:03:00 PM (view original):
I have a blanced team. Once someone is a JR they move into the starting role (usually). So all my recruits have 2 years as a backup, occasionally 3. Those limited minutes means I need WE>40.
doc, you ought to look at the profiles of the coaches telling you the "hard floor" at 40 is a bad idea, then reconsider it. They know what they're doing. I've never heard of anyone with a hard floor above 30 before, and I think even that is too high (or at least should be soft). 
9/26/2014 8:19 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
The "Perfect" D3 Center Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.