How can this coach not move to D1? Topic

That was a glitch cause he would qualify now. I am at Findlay, been there 8 years in Phelan and I qualify every year for D1 job. I went to the sweet sixteen once, that was my best job in the NT. I get some interesting jobs at C too, no CUSA, nor A-10 mid-majors but some C teams with base prestige of C. Longevity at a job, paired with A+, A+ rep and loyalty.

To get to D1, it's basically three to four years, with at least three post-seasons bids. It's not that tough. I mean, it could be easier, sure but is it really what we are after.

I don't like it when you can go from a winning season C- DIII teams in a SIM conference to a A rep team in DII... This is a way you have to speed your progress to D1. So there is some mechanisms in the game to make your life easier. Some other stuff, makes it harder. D1 is fun like it is now.
5/25/2015 9:49 PM
Posted by tkimble on 5/25/2015 9:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bro_lunardi on 5/25/2015 3:25:00 PM (view original):
It really is too hard to break into DI, and I think its pretty short-sighted of WIS not to change this.  There are people who only got into the game to get to DI, and lose interest after their 6th DII season when they still don't qualify.  When I was trying to break into D1 myself I couldn't believe how long it took to qualify for anything.  Below was my DII resume which at that time didn't qualify me for a single DI job.

Season 85: Findlay #20
26-5 (overall)/15-1 (conf), RPI: 21

Regular Season Conference Champion
Conference Tournament Champion
National Tournament - 2nd Round

Season 84: Findlay #1
35-0 (overall)/16-0 (conf), RPI: 2

National Champion
Conference Coach of the Year

Season 83: Findlay #14
29-2 (overall)/16-0 (conf), RPI: 25

National Tournament - 2nd Round
Conference Coach of the Year

Season 82: Findlay 
20-11 (overall)/12-4 (conf), RPI: 68

Postseason Invitational - 2nd Round

Season 81: Findlay 
21-10 (overall)/11-5 (conf), RPI: 66

Postseason Invitational - 3rd Round

I would bet a couple seasons on rep/loyalty problems.  
I can't even believe you're trying to defend/justify this...and I looked earlier, I think he was only at one other school than Findlay.  HE WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP...the **** is broken
5/25/2015 10:17 PM
Findlay was my first DII team so I know my loyalty was A+.  Can't say for sure what my rep was, but I can't imagine it was less than an A.  I made a post in the forums about it at the time and was told to submit a ticket.  Response was that I needed more experience with 5 seasons of DII experience, and just 6 seasons total.  I knew this was a load of crap at the time since people had made the jump to D1 after just 4 seasons when Tark first opened.

I don't mean to come off bitter or anything, I absolutely love this game and think it's hands down the best in the genre.  Just providing some fodder for discussion.
5/25/2015 10:46 PM (edited)
Wow...WIS is being irrationally delusional here...as I suspected
5/25/2015 10:26 PM
Its laughable that they told bro_lunardi he only had 5 seasons of D2 experience and 6 seasons total that embarrasing.

Looking at some recent hires:

Florida which would be A/A- prestige hires a coach from Conf USA with 4 years there and no NT appearences so maybe La Tech is C+ ish?.  Sure he had 11 years as an assistant, but shouldn't D2/D3 compare vaguely to assistant coaching experience.

VCU is probably a B+ in real life but in HD who hates mid-majors is probably B/B- hires a coach with 2 years D1 experience no NT appearnece, and 1 CIT appearence, but 6 years as an assistant coach

ASU maybe a C+/C hires Bobby Hurley with 2 years head coaching experience and 1 NT appearence to the 2nd round. 2 seasons of assistant coach experience.

Here's some more similar to HD

Kim Anderson hired by Mizz(B range?) after 12 seasons at Central Missouri(D2) where he went to 7 NT with 1 NC 2 F4 1 S16 as well as being an assistant for 17 years at the D1 level including time at Mizz.

Wake Forest(C+ range?) hired Danning Manning after 2 seasons at Tulsa with 1 CBI and 1 NT 2nd round appearence, he was also an assistant and team manager at Kansas for 9 years and a #1 pick with a lengthy career that had highs of 22.8/6.6

Clearly it is pretty easy for coaches to move up in real life, however most have playing experience and lengthy assistant coaching records.  Since HD doesn't have "players turned coaches" and assistant coaching jobs.  They make it harder to move up from D2 to D1 and from low level D1 to mid-major to Big 6.

However since they're so many things that aren't as realistic it would make more sense to make it easier for paying customers to get to their desired level, especially when they are SUPER F****** QUALIFIED AND WON A D2 CHAMPIONSHIP AND COULDN'T GET ANY D1 JOB WHICH IS ABSURD.

Honestly I'd like to see changes at every level.  D3->D2 shouldn't be automatic, especially with losing records.  I think recruited player ratings and success should have some impact.  So you go 5-22 but recruited players that would be decent in 4 years if you stayed you should be eligible for most D2 jobs, maybe not A+/A/A-, you recruit players with sub 10 ath and 10 def I honestly don't think you should be allowed to move up at all in 1 season.

I think it should be easier to move up from high D2 to D1.  I've never experienced it but I'd expect a perrenial NT coach to be able to move up to C/C- mid major jobs, possible C+ jobs.

Go to a Sweet 16 or better with a previous D prestige school reguardless of length of time at D1 you are clearly talented and deserve to move up and what school wouldn't target you in real life after a cinderella run like that.  Heck I think cellar dwellers in the Big 6 conferences should be available.  You might not get them fighting against other D1 mid-major coaches but you should be considered.

It seems like to compensate for real life coaches having playing careers and assistant coach exp, HD coaches are forced to endure lengthier times at D2 and low end D1 to move up.

So then we end up with the problem of new or bad D3 coaches being able to move to D2 right away and still recruiting at a D4 level, and clearly top level coaches not being able to move up to jobs that match their coaching ability due to "time and reputation" requirements.

Bruce Pearl's reputation caused him to be fired, but he sure didn't have trouble finding a Power conference job in Auburn with a big salary

Cap's rep didn't stop him from moving up from Umass to NBA and from Memphis to Kentucky

Larry Brown's loyalty hasn't stopped schools/pro teams from hiring him.

Clearly since reputation and loyalty aren't cared about in the real life, but are put in place since we as coaches don't have "player experience and assistant coaching records"

Sorry if that was a rant.

5/25/2015 11:11 PM
A good rant the Only. I am with you on the lower ends of the Spectrum. In D1, you won't get to make a run at a D school, unless you play against pathetic owners in that D1 world. I am shooting for a win in NT this year and I am at C... So it needs patience to build something.

Other than that, they could make the job process a little bit easier.
5/26/2015 7:26 AM
This
8/6/2015 7:19 PM
◂ Prev 123
How can this coach not move to D1? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.