Rescinding scholarship AND another player leaving Topic

I took over a d3 team once, and after cutting a player, his teammate (the best player returning player) also left. It stunk, since I had just taken over the team, but thems the breaks.
10/13/2014 6:47 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 10/13/2014 1:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bathtubhippo on 10/13/2014 12:29:00 AM (view original):
I cut a guy a couple seasons back and a teammate left

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=30&TopicID=478635&ThreadID=10506874#l_10506874
Was it someone from the same class? Any commonalities between the 2 players?

I think in real life, you would get some type or hint or warning that if you cut a certain player someone else would leave. Especially if it's one of your star players. I'm not sure if that addition to the game was necessary, especially from a business standpoint.

None. I cut a really low potential redshirt freshman that I'd inherited and my highest rated senior up and quit in protest. It wasn't the best.
10/13/2014 11:12 PM
Posted by tannermcc on 10/12/2014 5:04:00 PM (view original):
I have been playing since 2006 and have cut players a lot.

NEVER had another guy leave.
Playing a little longer than Tanner, cut literally dozens of players (including several of my own), never had another player leave.
10/14/2014 12:52 AM
it certainly CAN happen. I don't believe the restrictions some others mention exist though as I've heard conference mates over the years have it happen and it not be someone they recruited or in same class or whatever. Seems that sometimes, occasionally, if you cut some kid his best friend will just have to quit too...

(never happened to me personally either, and I take over a lot of teams and often cut max I can - down to 3)
10/14/2014 2:50 PM
Not saying it can't happen, as it obviously can and does. I just think the odds of it happening are so small that it's well worth the risk of cutting deadwood off your roster. Like you Dacj, whenever I take over a new team, I tend to cut players also. Sometimes several. I just never had one leave in protest and that's after cutting many, many players.
10/14/2014 6:17 PM
I'm thinking it only happens when you cut your own players that you've recruited. Not sure if there are any other conditions apply. I've cut 10 of another coaches player's with no repercussions.
10/14/2014 10:04 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 10/14/2014 10:04:00 PM (view original):
I'm thinking it only happens when you cut your own players that you've recruited. Not sure if there are any other conditions apply. I've cut 10 of another coaches player's with no repercussions.
again, this is incorrect, because as i've posted a couple times now, i had taken over a new team, cut the previous coach's redshirt freshman, and then the team's best senior quit in protest. i had recruited no one on the team when this happened.

i haven't been playing this game very long compared to most of you, but i've cut at least a player or two every time i've taken on a new team, and it only happened once. i think the only thing we can say with certainty is that it can happen, but it's rare, and when it does, you're just unlucky.
10/14/2014 10:51 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 10/14/2014 10:04:00 PM (view original):
This is incorrect, as I and another poster have attested to already.
10/14/2014 10:55 PM
FSIW, my first season at Nebraska (season 60 Wooden), cut one player and another also left. Can't recall if they were in the same class. At the time I was unaware that could happen.
10/15/2014 4:10 AM
What about if recruiting has started, as chapel pointed out?  Has anyone else ever left then?
6/16/2015 10:23 PM
Posted by bathtubhippo on 10/13/2014 11:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 10/13/2014 1:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bathtubhippo on 10/13/2014 12:29:00 AM (view original):
I cut a guy a couple seasons back and a teammate left

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?ForumID=30&TopicID=478635&ThreadID=10506874#l_10506874
Was it someone from the same class? Any commonalities between the 2 players?

I think in real life, you would get some type or hint or warning that if you cut a certain player someone else would leave. Especially if it's one of your star players. I'm not sure if that addition to the game was necessary, especially from a business standpoint.

None. I cut a really low potential redshirt freshman that I'd inherited and my highest rated senior up and quit in protest. It wasn't the best.
I had the same situation. Took over team and cut 3 young players. My one star player on the roster I inherited, a senior, quit in solidarity. It sucked at the time, but now I appreciate the attention to detail in the game design.
6/17/2015 9:46 AM
◂ Prev 12
Rescinding scholarship AND another player leaving Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.