D1 - Major Conference - B Prestige......5 Star? Topic

How many scouting trips am I going to need for him to start considering me????
10/13/2014 10:42 PM
If you're a B prestige, you should be able to recruit him normally right from the start (unless something has drastically changed recently).
10/14/2014 12:53 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 10/14/2014 12:53:00 AM (view original):
If you're a B prestige, you should be able to recruit him normally right from the start (unless something has drastically changed recently).
not recently, but with the new recruit generation (from a few years ago) i believe even B prestige schools can have players who are dropdowns. i could be wrong, but i definitely was shocked by this already once or twice. seems like b- wouldn't have been that shocking... so i think it must have been B prestige who could not talk to some people. not sure if its all 5 stars or just some... to the OP, i'd try without SVs, and if you have to use SVs, i have no idea how many, sorry.
10/14/2014 10:59 AM
i generally don't expect to have all access until B+ (outside of 70 miles)
10/14/2014 2:47 PM
Sorry, my mistake. I haven't been at a high level D1 school in some time. I remember back in the "good old days" when a C prestige could talk to 4 stars and anything C+ and above had access to 5 stars. But again, it's been quite some time since I was on that level and again, sorry for my mistake. Hope I didn't mislead you into wasting any recruiting money.
10/14/2014 6:15 PM
What sucks is when you have an A prestige and 2 scholarships (at Colorado) and a semi decent carry over, go after the 5 star guy with just about everything in the first cycle. Have him considering you right away and considering only you the entire recruiting period up to signings, then have a B prestige (Connor at USC) with 6 scholarships come in and take the lead. Not faulting Connor for doing this, but I think this is the part of the game that bugs me the most. It seems that in real life the prospect would rather go to a higher prestige team that had been after him the entire time.  We have 6 straight NT appearances including several deep runs, and USC has not been to the NT in 8 years. The Big 12 is also more prestigious than the Pac 10 B+ compared to a B. It just does not seem realistic. 
10/14/2014 10:57 PM (edited)
I recruit 10 miles from an a+ prestige school, so I'm not feeling too terrible about it.  And really....the kid has a chance to live in SoCal for 3-4 years, and have a lot of sim girls after him.

It's not over, right?
10/14/2014 11:05 PM
You have a way better, program.  There is no question there.
10/14/2014 11:07 PM
I put effort in him in the first cycle.  He rejected everything except the scholorship so I stopped knowing that Colorado had a A and I was a B.  I should of stayed with him being only 80 miles away but I wanted a PG more than a C and went after the PG as usual.
10/15/2014 11:59 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 10/14/2014 10:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 10/14/2014 12:53:00 AM (view original):
not recently, but with the new recruit generation (from a few years ago) i believe even B prestige schools can have players who are dropdowns. i could be wrong, but i definitely was shocked by this already once or twice. seems like b- wouldn't have been that shocking... so i think it must have been B prestige who could not talk to some people. not sure if its all 5 stars or just some... to the OP, i'd try without SVs, and if you have to use SVs, i have no idea how many, sorry.
I tried to get this player with my B prestige and 80 mile distance and he rejected everything but the scholorship in the first cycle.  He even said the only reason why he kepted the scholorship was becuase my secretary was hot message.  I just stopped trying after that.  In hindsight I should of stayed on him instead of the PG that I took away from Ariz.  Now I know and will never make that mistake again. 
10/16/2014 9:03 AM
We barely managed to win the battle on the final day of signings. I think that having the considering credit probably made the difference. I also had to promise a start, just to be sure. I had to bring up the earthquakes and smog of LA, along with the new pot laws in Colorado to get him to sign.
10/16/2014 11:43 AM
To the original question, if you're b, I would first know which a or better schools might steal him before I decide if I should go after him. If an a/ a+ school wants him! he will get him usually. So I wouldn't spend any money trying really hard to get him to consider me if a high prestige school would take him with a simple phone call from their hot secretary.
10/17/2014 10:19 AM
Posted by stewdog on 10/17/2014 10:19:00 AM (view original):
To the original question, if you're b, I would first know which a or better schools might steal him before I decide if I should go after him. If an a/ a+ school wants him! he will get him usually. So I wouldn't spend any money trying really hard to get him to consider me if a high prestige school would take him with a simple phone call from their hot secretary.
I think this depends on the situation. In this case Arizona State for example is a B and Colorado is an A - but Colorado only has 2 schollies and lets say they don't have carryover and they are 600+ miles away while Arizona State is 80 miles away. Judging by how close the battle was between Colorado and USC who was almost 500 miles away as well - I would think Arizona State could have won the battle easily - especially if they had considering credit. The prestige advantage would be somewhat nullified by the distance advantage - ASU would have to spend lots of money, but they could get that recruit and possibly sign some other guys as well. 
10/18/2014 9:57 AM
Yes, but that's comparing a b and an a-.
I am a+.
Typically I identify all my targets before recruiting and you know quickly who I want and will get.

If I was at Georgia tech I wanted the 5 star player (and had my 3 guys wrapped up and needed a fourth), I would scan the horizon looking for a situation like this and could care less about distance. If I saw a b on a top guy, I would almost always get him.

Just showing the downside of "can I get this guy to consider me?"
I typically can get almost anyone to consider me pretty quickly as an a+ school. Think calapari in real life. Yes, he cheats to do it, but that's your risk. I'd rather build with four stars and not waste all my cash at that prestige level unless he's on an island with me and I can afford to whiff.

There are a lot of factors to consider and you could definitely beat an a+ from a b if you played your cards right, but if they play theirs right, too, it will be tough.
10/21/2014 2:59 PM (edited)
True, but the OP was speaking about a specific situation between an A and a B prestige school and an A school with only 2 scholarships  - with no other interested parties willing to jump in. That's why I said situational.
10/23/2014 1:31 PM
12 Next ▸
D1 - Major Conference - B Prestige......5 Star? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.