Set it and forget it Topic

How many set it and forget it coaches do we have and how many have seen some decent results?
10/14/2014 7:07 PM
Oldave won the national championship in Wooden DIII last season with minimal gameplanning. I believe he said that, for the most part, he only changed defensive positiioning. 
10/14/2014 8:49 PM
depends on your definition of decent.

You can set it and forgot it to the PIT easily assuming you schedule properly.
10/14/2014 9:12 PM
Well PIT is failure to me. At most it's better than nothing but by decent I mean some progress in the NT - S16 at least.
10/14/2014 9:57 PM
Besides for adjusting defensive positioning, I often set it and forget it until the NT. There may be a game or two during the season where I try harder to win, but I feel like I know how to set up a team well enough that I'm maxing out my performance for the average game already. Not sure if that's the complete set it and forget it you mean but I think I see decent results. 
10/14/2014 10:17 PM
If you are adjusting for defensive positioning, it is not set it and forget it. You have to be simai-esque in your settings to qualify.
10/15/2014 10:20 AM
I accidentally set it and forgot it at Frostburg State awhile back in Smith and ended up going 26-0, losing in the conference tourny final, and getting bounced in I think the second round of the NT. 
10/15/2014 11:10 AM
Posted by sullytoo on 10/15/2014 10:20:00 AM (view original):
If you are adjusting for defensive positioning, it is not set it and forget it. You have to be simai-esque in your settings to qualify.
+1
10/15/2014 11:43 AM
I started this post because I have reason to believe that Northwestern in Phelan may be a set it and forget it team and won the NC as a 13 seed. It would suck to discover that with all the coaching options available - in the end it means nothing lol. Or maybe it's all about recruiting and player chemistry - or it could be dumb luck. Idk but I just wanted to see if any other coaches have experienced this type of success or something close. Thanks guys.
10/15/2014 12:18 PM
I actually did that every season for awhile becuase I didnt know the game.  Now that I'm learning more and actually asking questions I'm trying more things out.  I feel you can do it (set it and forget it) if you have the talent.  I think it's part of all three, Luck, recruiting and chemistry.  You have to have a mix to win anyway and if you set things right you can have great success with little imput.  BTW Northwestern has great players in plays his system well.
10/15/2014 1:44 PM
yeah i know NW has great players and so do other teams - what I'm really questioning is the importance of gameplanning. I would think that throughout a NT you'd run into a team with talent equivalent to your own and gameplanning would be the deciding factor.  When I won my titles I remember looking at the data for hours gameplanning - this may have been overkill but the excitement of actually getting to that point made me check everything over and over again. I would hate to find out it was all for naught.

10/15/2014 2:12 PM
Posted by sol_phenom3 on 10/15/2014 11:10:00 AM (view original):
I accidentally set it and forgot it at Frostburg State awhile back in Smith and ended up going 26-0, losing in the conference tourny final, and getting bounced in I think the second round of the NT. 

That's pretty decent.

10/15/2014 2:13 PM
I tend to set it and forget it for long stretches of almost every season, especially if I'm in an empty or nearly empty conference. I usually pick back up when the CT rolls around.
10/15/2014 2:30 PM
I remember your runs Red but you were new to the game you won your titles within two years.  I think as you get more in depth with the data you tend to get more indepth with your team.  I still think gameplanning has to be a factor as I'm getting better with mine and almost pulled an upset with my Div2 team today on the road.  Lost in OT by 2 but I did put time into the team.  That experience has me hoping for a great season with Ariz St.
10/15/2014 2:51 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 10/15/2014 2:30:00 PM (view original):
I tend to set it and forget it for long stretches of almost every season, especially if I'm in an empty or nearly empty conference. I usually pick back up when the CT rolls around.
Why no d1 emy?
10/15/2014 3:09 PM
12 Next ▸
Set it and forget it Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.