Perfect Recruit....Work Ethic =1 Topic

I am looking at this recruit who is a 6'6 shooting guard out of HS. He a dream come true to play the 3 in Div. 3 on a motion/off and zone/def. 15reb./high I wont list all the attributes but he is the exact perfect 3 I have ever seen. Does that 1 work ethic kill him ? I would have to start him as a freshman to get the absolute most from this guy right ?
10/15/2014 5:01 PM
That 1 WE doesn't necessarily kill off the player, but you can ignore his potentials because he won't be growing.  Even if you start him from day 1 as a freshman, he will probably end up losing all gained attributes during the offseason.  If anything he will regress.  The player he is now is exactly how he will be as a SR.

Not sure if you know this or not but since you listed his height I'm going to tell you anyway.  Height is completely and totally meaningless in this game.  Don't bother wasting time looking at it.  Same goes for weight and high school stats (besides GPA and FT%)
10/15/2014 5:09 PM
I have a guy with 1 work ethic.  grabbed him as a senior fill in…. if you look at my Millsaps roster you can see him (or here's the link).  Gives you a sense of how little they do.  Rarely are they worth the roster spot - especially for 4 seasons.  But, as you can see he does have some decent IQ, but that is partly due to a higher IQ at the start of his career.  He was redshirted as a senior it appears before I stumbled upon him.
10/15/2014 5:23 PM
Posted by brianxavier on 10/15/2014 5:23:00 PM (view original):
I have a guy with 1 work ethic.  grabbed him as a senior fill in…. if you look at my Millsaps roster you can see him (or here's the link).  Gives you a sense of how little they do.  Rarely are they worth the roster spot - especially for 4 seasons.  But, as you can see he does have some decent IQ, but that is partly due to a higher IQ at the start of his career.  He was redshirted as a senior it appears before I stumbled upon him.
Wonder why someone would go through the trouble of redshirting a SR only to cut them next season.
10/15/2014 5:49 PM
If the kid is great for you with his existing ratings, then dont be scared off.  Assume he will LOSE a few ratings points - do you still like him?  Maybe you can redshirt him to give him time to get okay in IQ.  Even better if he already knows your scheme.

Except him to GET WORSE, but if you still love him, dont be put off.
10/15/2014 6:24 PM
If he has a significant role from day one, get him.
If he will not play a role on your team on day 1, don't mess with him.

As has been mentioned, he will not improve much. Maybe 1-2 in a few areas. But if he could start immediately, take him. Not a bad guy to fill out the roster with.
One year at a high a plus school in d1, I took a project with high work ethic and a stud with a 10 we.the project played sparingly year one and the low we played tons. Year two, it was pretty even, year three the high we guy was a stud for me and the low we guy was helpful off the bench, year 4 the low we guy played little, while the high we guy was a top draft pick. Worked real well having those two guys recruited together.
10/17/2014 10:51 AM
Total Growth 4 years -2<br />
<br />
ATH -2<br />
Speed: +5<br />
REB: -2<br />
DEF: +11<br />
SB: +1<br />
PER: -8<br />
BH: -2<br />
PASS: -9<br />
STA: -6<br />
DUR: +8<br />
WE: +2
10/17/2014 11:03 AM
i have a 3 work ethic senior who dropped from a 6 to 3 during his 4 years he's been a good backup
10/19/2014 9:25 AM
I almost never used to add a player that had a work ethic under 30. However, after viewing trentonjoe's WE test thread, I'm giving a couple of guys in the mid to upper teens a shot. They are both starting and will get significant minutes as freshman.
10/19/2014 12:28 PM
Doubt this will format correctly, but here is a guy 8 games into his freshman year. 6 WE. You can see he's improved one point in 7 different categories and with his Ath and LP (and workable D and Reb) he is contributing nicely for me. 

Athleticism 93

Speed 32

Rebounding 77

Defense 80

Shot Blocking 73

Low-post 90

Perimeter 15

Ball Handling 31

Passing 47

Work Ethic 7

Stamina 73

Durability 75
+1

11/13/2014 9:28 AM
Perfect Recruit....Work Ethic =1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.