Player with WE of 1 Topic

Drafted a player with decent ratings but he has a WE of 1.  I have 3 questions:
1. How much if at all will he improve over 4 years?
2. What practice minutes improve work ethic? I notice some players improve WE more than others and it doesn't seem to matter what the WE was to start.
3. Does it affect his ability to improve his off and def IQ?

10/26/2014 7:30 PM
1. &#160;Overall he'll lose. &#160;If he is HIGH HIGH in a skill and you load up the practice minutes you should see 8-10 points of growth over 4 years.<br />
<br />
2. none<br />
<br />
3. YEs.
10/26/2014 7:32 PM
1- he could improve slightly overall... Like 10 depending on potential? But likely he'll stay pretty similar to what you have when you get him.
2- gameplay improves we. If he plays a lot and starts, it'll improve. Slightly. Maybe 15 b the time he's a senior if he plays a lot.
3- definitely. This is what will kill you. B- by senior year
10/31/2014 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info. He was a 4 star recruit with decent ratings to start with so not all bad. C+ in off IQ to start. Still B- by senior year?
11/2/2014 5:04 PM
No he'll get to a b or b+ with 4 years of starts.
11/2/2014 7:27 PM
Had a coach in my conference recruit a kid with 1 WE. He was national player of the year as a freshman. Never started a game for 4 seasons. To me that's not worth the trouble.
11/2/2014 8:13 PM
8 games into the season... my WE 6 guy... not bad. The formatting is messed up, but you can see he has improved 1 in 7 categories. 

Ath

Speed 32

Rebounding 77

Defense 80

Shot Blocking 73

Low-post 90

Perimeter 15

Ball Handling 31

Passing 47

Work Ethic 7

Stamina 73

Durability 75

FT Shooting C-  

11/13/2014 9:17 AM
Indi- 
National player of the year as a freshman and not worth the trouble???
Assuming you didn't have to fight forever to get him, how is that "not worth the trouble?" I don't get it... He didn't just contribute, but got NPOY?! That's worth trouble. 

My take is that these guys are not great long term guys but if you can play him immediately and he can contribute to your team immediately and significantly, take him. He won't get much better, but who cares if hes good enough to help your team immediately. Balance him with a high potential high WE guy and they will switch places in the starting lineup by year 3
11/13/2014 9:22 AM
NPOY as a freshman?  I don't believe that.
11/13/2014 11:49 AM
I just signed a 1 WE guy........66 ATH.....;54 SPD......;66 DEF........;72 PER........;62 BH..........;34 PER
11/13/2014 12:31 PM
In D3 one season I saw a recruit with a 1 Work Ethic but he was blue in EVERY category. I didn't go after him, but always wondered whether I should have
just for WIS science experiment curiosity sakes. I signed a D3 SG with a 10 Work Ethic once mainly because he was 80 Perimeter and I was desperate for scoring, especially from the perimeter. He was Conference Player of the Year as a freshman and ended up as the school's all time leading scorer. However by his senior year he was my 3rd string SG on a Final Four team--he just wasn't good enough overall to get more than 4 to 8 minutes a game. Was he worth it overall? Heck yes--he carried my team his first two years and enabled my prestige to go up which was a big factor in recruiting better players that led to a Final Four.
From what I have seen, and I am not nearly as good as most of the coaches that post on here so take my opinion with a grain of salt, a low (10 to 20) work ethic player can be worth your while IF you can start him as a freshman. It can make sense on re-building teams. I could see a case in D1 with a top 20 team where a top 50 overall recruit would have high enough cores that it would not matter if he improves but I don't have any teams at that level to actually know.

11/13/2014 2:23 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 11/13/2014 11:49:00 AM (view original):
NPOY as a freshman?  I don't believe that.
I'd like to see this backed up as well
11/14/2014 10:14 AM
update:
at end of season player had gained 1 point in 8 categories and lost 1 in rebounding due to lack of rebounding practice minutes.
during offseason lost all 8 points gained. still -1 rebounding. back to where he was when drafted -1.
off IQ =C+ when drafted and was B- at end of season. still B- at beginning of this season
def IQ= D when drafted and D+ at end of season. C- to begin this season
Apparently regression occurs during offseason in individual ratings but not in IQ's

11/23/2014 4:33 PM
Player with WE of 1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.