Recruiting International Players (D1) Topic

What's the key to recruiting good international players? There are always lots of guys out there considering no one. Has anyone ever found a terrible looking international player that turned out to be a stud? I'm just wondering if anyone has any particular system they go about judging international recruits that may be a bit cheaper than scouting them to death. Thanks for any help.
10/31/2014 4:30 PM
from a d2 perspective, i typically look at internationals with the thought of whether they would make good role players with their ratings being 'as is'  or improving their cores on the median of average (e.g., 10 points). this might not be as practical at the d1 level since you might assume that big budget lower level teams would have scouted these players that looked attractive. 
11/3/2014 12:38 PM
I've heard of some coaches building contenders with internationals - I've always been hesistant to target the internationals because the really good ones still go to top tier teams and the questionable ones - I'd rather not waste money trying to scout when my scout keeps messaging me about the same categories. Seems more cost effective to battle for the local guy than spend money to find an international with nice potential then maybe have to battle for him too.

I think soon I am going to find myself in a situation where my world is saturated with coaches in an area where I'll be about in the middle prestige wise so I need some other options that would keep me competitive. Otherwise I don't even see the point in playing if I can't get the guys that would help boost my prestige.
11/3/2014 2:48 PM
You need to spend the money to scout them to see if you want them....this can take between 5-20 trips............after that, use letters and calls until the guys hates you and then lay on the CV.
11/3/2014 6:45 PM
The biggest problem to me is if you scout them and don't like them, they are likely to be considering you and that makes you look vulnerable. I have found some good players though, but also found some duds that I can't get off the considering list.
11/3/2014 9:44 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 11/3/2014 9:44:00 PM (view original):
The biggest problem to me is if you scout them and don't like them, they are likely to be considering you and that makes you look vulnerable. I have found some good players though, but also found some duds that I can't get off the considering list.
This.
11/3/2014 10:41 PM
so the risk isn't worth the reward? I hate how they generate so many unwanted recruits... what a waste...
11/4/2014 12:52 PM
You probably never have the right pot odds but that doens't mean it isn't EVER worth it.
11/4/2014 1:00 PM
I guess a good question to ask is if anyone has ever built an international only team - or I'll say maybe 60%+? I guess it could be worth it sometimes but based on the thread so far it doesn't sound like a viable option in a saturated world.
11/4/2014 1:06 PM
Ya i heard somewhere back somebody did go 60%+ international and the result i heard was not the best. But i havent signed a international that i regretted signing, the guys have been 100% money for me
11/4/2014 3:06 PM
i can't speak to d1 recruiting int'l players, but i currently have 4 int'l players on my roster (d2, rollins, smith). even w/ d2 recruiting $$$, you can find role players, and even studs to complement your team.
but w/ d1 $$$, i don't understand the issue. i routinely sign int'l players for less than 3k.
i had a recruiting battle for this player - and still signed him for less than 9k - w/ d2 $$$...i think he was worth the $$$...

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2796697

11/6/2014 10:15 AM
I've had a great deal of success with Int. players at DII.  I had a GVSU team that was 8 or 9 internationals.  Its easier at DII because you have to scout to pull down, so its not a bad investment.
11/6/2014 11:34 AM
Posted by crazyivan on 11/6/2014 10:15:00 AM (view original):
i can't speak to d1 recruiting int'l players, but i currently have 4 int'l players on my roster (d2, rollins, smith). even w/ d2 recruiting $$$, you can find role players, and even studs to complement your team.
but w/ d1 $$$, i don't understand the issue. i routinely sign int'l players for less than 3k.
i had a recruiting battle for this player - and still signed him for less than 9k - w/ d2 $$$...i think he was worth the $$$...

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2796697

At the D1 level yes there is way more $$$ but there are also other teams with the same and more $$$ and any move you make can cost you recruits. At d2 going after internationals is fine because you really don't have to battle at all at D2 and you can still have an excellent team you just have to look. There is a significant drop off in recruits at the D1 level since it seems WIS doesn't generate too many high potential guys lately - but my thought process with this thread is maybe there are exceptional D1 international recruits no one signs (you'd really never know unless you spend a boatload of money) - if thats the case then there is hope for me lol maybe I can get lucky. You could probably sign the guy you signed at 3k for $1500 - you could probably get by with a home visit and a scholly if no one else wants the guy but at D1 if the player is good - that's not going to happen. I have to sign recruits that can compete in a Big 6 conference so the guys I look at are always going to be someone else's target as well. It would help me if I find the one guy worth fighting over that no one else knows about lol!
11/6/2014 1:05 PM
Recruiting International Players (D1) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.