study hall for international recruit Topic

any recommendations? is there a base line HS GPA that they all follow, even though its not reflected? so far, i'm starting with 10 minutes and plan on adjusting, if necessary, at midterms. 
11/4/2014 11:51 AM
You adjust based on GPA to start? I thought it had no impact? I give all FR 10 across the board and adjust if needed. 
11/4/2014 1:34 PM
I start fr at 5 mins till midterms then adjust accordingly, even bad hs gpas have been fine on 5 minutes, highest ive ever had to go was 11 and i have no idea why, he just did not do well in the classroom
11/4/2014 3:02 PM
Posted by mmt0315 on 11/4/2014 1:34:00 PM (view original):
You adjust based on GPA to start? I thought it had no impact? I give all FR 10 across the board and adjust if needed. 
it definitely has an impact. if my player has a HS GPA of 3.2 or better, i give 8 mins and give less the better the GPA is. if the GPA is under 2.8, i give 12 mins and adjust upwards as the GPA gets worse. 
11/4/2014 3:33 PM
If you scouted the International student you may have received a report on how good a student they are.  If so, then apply the minutes chart from the Player's guide with a guess within that range.  Something like Excellent = 0 minutes; Above = 5; mediocre = 10; below = 15.  You can shortchange it, as long as you don't forget to adjust at midterms.  

11/4/2014 3:48 PM
If you add an international recruit to the "Recruiting Compare List" and then click on View Recruit Comparison it will show you his "High School" GPA.  I've found the GPA listed to be indicative of future results.
11/4/2014 5:18 PM
You're all wasting tons of minutes on SH. I start anyone above 2.5 at 0 min and adjust from there. Never have to give time to 3.0 and up HSers.
11/4/2014 5:26 PM
I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is wasting too much practice time on SH.  I start all freshman at 3 minutes, and adjust if needed based on the first midterms.  The vast majority of JR's and SR's receive 0 SH minutes.

I even go as far as to switching every player to 0 SH minutes for the couple of cycles after the second term grades come out.  Since there is no third term in a season, there is no point in having any minutes in SH at that point.

11/4/2014 8:34 PM
Posted by gopokes24 on 11/4/2014 5:18:00 PM (view original):
If you add an international recruit to the "Recruiting Compare List" and then click on View Recruit Comparison it will show you his "High School" GPA.  I've found the GPA listed to be indicative of future results.
That is no longer good information.  International's HSGPA no longer shows up in the recruit compare.  
11/4/2014 9:38 PM
Posted by wronoj on 11/4/2014 5:26:00 PM (view original):
You're all wasting tons of minutes on SH. I start anyone above 2.5 at 0 min and adjust from there. Never have to give time to 3.0 and up HSers.
...and you've never had anyone go ineligible or you just don't mind losing one every now and again?
11/4/2014 9:44 PM
I've lost exactly two guys in ~200 seasons of doing it.
11/8/2014 11:38 AM
but do you have to give them SH time as Jr and Sr?
11/8/2014 2:59 PM
I have used the 9, 6, 3, 0 method for quite awhile.  Occasionally I have to adjust that for freshman.  I will also put a junior at 0 if he has a good gpa.  I have found that this method results in all 4 year players turning all red by the end of their senior year.
11/8/2014 3:47 PM
Figuring just how much you can short SH minutes is one of the more valuable shortcuts to getting the most out of your team over time.  Also, picking your spots to zero out minutes in individual attributes and tolerate losses there in order to build up other attributes, faster, that matter more for that particular player.
11/9/2014 1:17 PM
Is there any benefit at all to a great college gpa?
From reading the forums, the answer would be "no" for ratings improvement and IQ improvement.

But what about coach reputation?
Or recruitment?
Or applying for jobs? (someone hinted here recently that high gpa's helped when applying to Ivy League jobs... is this true? and even if it's not for an Ivy job, would schools tend to favor coaches whose players have good gpa's?).
Or avoiding getting fired in Div-1?

Seems weird that there wouldn't be any reward at all for getting your players to study.

11/9/2014 11:25 PM
12 Next ▸
study hall for international recruit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.