signing D3 players at D1 Topic

I have 8 openings this year in one of my D1 programs and have found 6 freshman I want to sign. I was able to get all of them to consider me with very little effort and have a healthy chunk of my recruting budget remaining. This is my first year at this new school so I decided to see if there were any transfers available with 1 year of eligibility left that I could sign and roll over my recruiting funds.

When I searched for transfers, there were no players at the D1 level that I could easily sign, so I opened my search up to D2 and D3. There are 2 D3 players with 1 year of eligibility left, so I decided to go ahead and try to sign them. This would allow me to stagger my classes they way I want and roll over 25% of my remaining budget.

When I tried to offer the scholarship to them I got a message from my AD telling me I couldnt' do it. Has anyone else ever seen this? It seems absurd that they will let me offer scholarships to my walk ons, but I can't sign a D3 player who is equal talent to a walk on?

I sent in a ticket, but I am sure it will do no good. I am ****** of the say the least. Now I am going to have to try an poach two players at the last 2 cycles just so i don't feel like I wasted these 2 openings and all this cash.

Here is the message I got if anyone is curious:

Coach:
Am I getting punk'd? Seriously, where is Ashton? You know that I can't approve that scholarship offer. I know I don't want to explain that one to the boosters and I'm sure you don't either. Does the kid have of pictures of you with co-eds or something? Even if he did, no way - final answer. I miss Regis.

Harold Griffie
Director of Athletics

11/7/2014 3:23 PM
Nothing you can do about it, your "AD" won't let you sign the player.  Ran into this a couple times in a similar situation to yours.  Its intentionally programmed into the game, so submitting a ticket won't do anything.  Just gotta go after the D2 SR transfers.
11/7/2014 3:26 PM
That really sucks and makes no sense based on our ability to give scholarships to walk ons.
11/7/2014 3:31 PM
Yeah I'm not really sure what they were trying to accomplish by implementing this.  Stopping rookie D1 coaches from signing really bad players?  Maybe they realized the market they had created for SR TR's and wanted to make sure D3 and D2 teams had some access to them?  Although I've never tried it, I would assume you get the same message if you offer a 4 year D-3 player a scholly.
11/7/2014 4:02 PM
just sign another cheap transfer player, and cut him if need be. assuming the carryover is worth it, and you're not going to be doing this all the time, your rep hit won't be bad enough to matter. if you don't want to do that, sign a cheap 2-year guy and just suck it up for an extra season. 
11/7/2014 4:24 PM
there was a thread about this last week too www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx

i think it's an intentional rule to prevent rolling over tons of money signing chumps on the cheap at high-level schools?
11/7/2014 5:07 PM
I did it at Iowa State, but only tried it with one player. However, he was a transfer from Temple, but was showing up at D3. It may just matter where they are transferring from. If it is a D3 school, that may be the key.
11/7/2014 5:07 PM
signing D3 players at D1 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.