World 11 Virgin Dream Jobs - D1, D2, and D3 Topic

So hypothetically, if there was an 11th world, which team(s) would you gun for.  For me...

D1 - Morris Brown (because it's not an actual D1 college/university)
D2 - HI-Hilo (because it's my fave of the Hawaii schools and I have coached it in Tark?)
D3 - One of the Wisconsin schools just because...this one could probably use more thought on my end, however D3 is pretty limpdick for me currently.

Curious to see what others post.  This is hypothetical and I'm not necessarily advocating an 11th world, so SHADDAP about that lol.

11/16/2014 12:42 PM
Division 1- Indiana, my dream job in all the worlds as I am a huge fan and have grown up following IU basketball. Very low chance that I will ever get the job though with coaches being able to coach for centuries.

Division 2 - Florida Gulf Coast, their run in the NCAA tourney brought them to my attention and I was a bit disappointed that they were in D2 here in Hoops Dynasty.

Division 3 - Grinnell, I would mirror the real life team and recruit a pure scorer every 4 years and give him 100% distribution.
11/16/2014 1:34 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 11/16/2014 12:42:00 PM (view original):
So hypothetically, if there was an 11th world, which team(s) would you gun for.  For me...

D1 - Morris Brown (because it's not an actual D1 college/university)
D2 - HI-Hilo (because it's my fave of the Hawaii schools and I have coached it in Tark?)
D3 - One of the Wisconsin schools just because...this one could probably use more thought on my end, however D3 is pretty limpdick for me currently.

Curious to see what others post.  This is hypothetical and I'm not necessarily advocating an 11th world, so SHADDAP about that lol.

I hadn't heard of Morris Brown in awhile so I googled it. What a mess! In 2002, they lost their accredation and federal funding. Their president was convicted of embezzelment by submitting false applications for financial aid.  At one time, a bustling school if 3500, they now have 35 students.  

In 2013, the city of Atlanta offered to buy the campus and allow the school to rent the 4 buildings they still use.  The campus sits just west of the new Atlanta Falcons stadium and the city wants to develop the area. Morris Brown turned them down, saying they  have a better offer on the table.  Then, in June 2014, the sale went through and the college retains the use of two buildings. 
11/16/2014 1:46 PM (edited)
In D3, one of the eastern Texas schools....I grabbed Sul Ross St. in Allen once thinking that it was a dream job because you had little D3 pressure to the west and were pretty much the only western Texas school so you'd have all a distance edge on all the recruits from the western half of the state. Then I realized that other than the occasional D1/D2 borderline player generated in El Paso, there basically aren't any recruits generated in western Texas. I'd like to be in the side of the state that makes it worth FSSing all of Texas rather than finding out all the good recruits are in state but 360+ miles away and try again. 

In D2, while I love recruiting out of St. Louis, from a strategic standpoint there are a number of jobs I'd be interested in grabbing if the rest of the league was Sim just to see what sort of dynasty a person could build (imagine, for instance, having one of the WV schools if the rest of the WVIAC was summed...or one of the southern California schools if the California conf. was vacant)

In D1, I'm going to wimp out and just grab Nebraska because I bleed Husker Red and, heck, it might be the best chance I have to try and see the school win an NCAA Tournament game in my lifetime. 
11/16/2014 2:26 PM
D1: Ohio State, this is where I currently attend.

D2: not really sure maybe U of DC or a school in NJ/NY like NY/NJ Tech

D3: Bridgewater (VA) my best friend goes there, VA is a decent recruiting area
11/16/2014 3:08 PM
D1 - Indiana (The name says it all)
D2 - Indianapolis (Had that job once and really enjoyed it)
D3 - NYU (I've always wanted that job and I live in NYC these days)

11/16/2014 5:56 PM
D1 UNLV. Where I learned alot of my trade in RL fron Jerry Tarkanian "Tark the Shark" and his staff. How about being in the gym learning with Greg Anthony, Anderson Hunt, Stacy Augmon and LARRY JOHNSON. I learned the "Sideline FB", The best Uptempo tool ever! I also learned all about Multiple front Pressing. Just a total commitment to Uptempo/Pressure basketball.

D2 San Francisco State. As much control as you can have over your local recruiting area in a high recruit area.

D3 Whittier College (So Cal). As they say in the movie "Top Gun", Right in the middle of a "target rich environment."
11/16/2014 8:45 PM
coach v!   you had your dream job and you left it???? (whittier wooden)
youre right,  it is a great spot although this last recruiting season in wooden was pretty tough.

i gotta  pat myself on the back a little as i was able to lead the whittier fighting poets to their first ever national championship across all hd worlds and was able to shed the label of best d3 school never to win an NC.  i want to say whittier was up to someting like 20 final 4s and 8 final games when we finally broke through a couple years ago.  thanks again for leaving the cupboard full.. i think that was the best situation i ever took over.

also gotta slip in an LJ story since you mentioned him.  way before he was "grandmama"... he was "babyman".   he went to the same high school i did and when i was was a freshman in college, he was in 8th grade,  and 13 years old.  we went back and watched him play a few times... he was  i guess 6'6ish but had not filled out.  not super skinny,  but not muscle-bound either.     again.. 13 years old!   and played against the best schools in texas  (no jokes about texas hoops please!)   he was the best player on the floor every time he played and had  a prescence of greatness that was undeniable and obvious to even the most casual observer.   he averaged a quadruple double (pts assists, reb, blocks)  and had several quintiple doubles  (steals)     ... as a 13 year old 8th grader!    i was certain that he would become one of the greatest basketball players ever.   he didnt quite make it to that level.  partly because he never really added any height after 9th grade.  we all assumed he would be close to 7 feet tall when he got done growing,,, but he never grew much taller and may not even have really been the 6'7" they listed him at.    and also his recurring back issues limited his abilities.    still he had a great career and oen of my greatest memories is watching him play in 8th grade.
11/16/2014 9:40 PM
D3-Bethany College in West Virginia or Otterbein College, which is about 20 minutes from where I live.
D2-Virginia State/Virginia Union, Fairmont State. I'm all about WV/VA schools.
D3-West Virginia University or Marshall. Or any of the Virginia schools in the CAA (VCU, ODU, James Madison, etc.)

I love threads like this.
11/16/2014 9:48 PM
d1  cuse   but been there and done that... not sure if ill try to get back there or try soemwhere else... maybe TAMU?

d2  id like to find a "perfect d2 school... but dont think ive found it yet. 

d3  oneonta...  my first job in hd and stayed there 36 seasons and won a few NCs.  at some point, i decided that 36th season would be my last... and i really wanted to be the first coach in iba d3 to 1,000 wins.  but it was going to be close.   i got to 999 wins and was favored to win in the sweet16 but lost    i decided it just wasnt meant to be and retired on 999.   (interesting sidenote: a few years after i retired from oneonta iba.....my son ended up going to and graduating from oneonta in real life.  wierd.)  oneonta will always be "my" school in hd. 
11/16/2014 9:55 PM
oldave, good story. I loved the guy. A very outgoing leader who everybody was drawn to. One of the truly good guys. He may never have reached that 6'7" but the man could jump out of the gym. He would do humungous dunks. My favorite story was the one where he threw the ball off his high school gym wall and dunked it. He, Stacy Augmon, George Echols and James Jones just tore up the rims.
11/16/2014 10:55 PM
oldave, you are from Texas, why the SU and Oneonta love? You relocate up here to CNY or something?
11/17/2014 2:39 AM
DI - Syracuse. The biggest reason I still play this game I think is to try to coach the Orange some day... In my time playing multiple worlds Syracuse has only come open a handful of times and I was never qualified. I was actually a BCS level coach one place when it opened but I hadn't been there long enough or been successful enough to even get a Longshot...I applied anyway and was rejected in less than 5 minutes...

DII - I have coached D2 all over the place in various worlds. I am not sure any place is much better than any other - I look for conferences full or mostly full of coaches that I know or am familiar with (now I just coach at D2 Valdosta St in Knight which is where I've spent most of my D2 years - although my only title was at Shaw in Rupp)

DIII - same as D2 mostly - although I will say it is tough to recruit in places like Maine, Presque Isle and the other outliers (one in Minnesota I think? idk...)
11/17/2014 2:44 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 11/17/2014 2:39:00 AM (view original):
oldave, you are from Texas, why the SU and Oneonta love? You relocate up here to CNY or something?
yup, dac.   believe it or not...  been here 18 years now,  still love it.   (i could do without the snow in november and may,  but ya gotta take the good with the bad)

but, the oneonta love started purely as an HD thing.   not sure i had even heard of it before i started playing HD.  could have picked from 8 or 10 other upstate ny d3 schools that i had heard of,  but i think i picked oneonta because they ran zone  and maybe had a decent roster or a nice number of scholarships or something.   
11/17/2014 8:46 AM
DI - NCCU - NCCU & Florida Gulf Coast should both be DI in any new world Morris Brown can obviously be dropped, there may be one more too).

DII - Simon Fraser University - Recruiting out of Vancouver with a DII budget would be hell, but this job should exist to spice things up.

DIII - William Peace University - The dubious bar saying: "If you want a saint go to Peace, if you want a piece go to Saint!"  Now admits men and plays DIII hoops.
11/17/2014 4:28 PM
12 Next ▸
World 11 Virgin Dream Jobs - D1, D2, and D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.