Festivus for the rest of us... Topic

Posted by davis on 11/19/2014 6:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kmfloyd on 11/19/2014 11:37:00 AM (view original):
Really, what's the big deal?  People pay their money to play this game how they see fit (within the rules).  If it doesn't float your boat, don't get in the boat.
I'm with you on this.  It is a game... by definition, people are going to game it.
Just because people are able "game" their way though it doesn't mean you gotta sit there and like it.

More power to them, do what you do best homie...just don't be mad when game doesn't recognize game.
11/20/2014 9:09 PM
Etta would be proud of you nacho. He hated the fake, make believe basketball ****. Keep his dream alive baby!
11/20/2014 10:08 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 11/20/2014 10:08:00 PM (view original):
Etta would be proud of you nacho. He hated the fake, make believe basketball ****. Keep his dream alive baby!
I have to disagree, I'm actually letting him down...not only getting caught-up in nonsensical discussions, but to actually be the one instigating them???

I try to keep my head down, take it one thread at a time, and hopefully one day I'll be invited to europe for a month...only then will I be worthy of such lofty comparisons.

11/20/2014 10:56 PM
Don't forget to tell us about your graduate program. incredible knowledge of the game, robust history with sim engines, and overall superiority. 
11/21/2014 12:58 PM
In real life, if one looks at most major programs one will find that their nonconf schedule consists mostly of weak teams played mostly at home.  Wise real life teams avoid true RPI killers in those schedules to the extent that they can.

If in real life most good teams in good conferences schedule mostly weak nonconf opponents mostly at home, why is that better than what we see generally in this game?
11/21/2014 1:48 PM
To be fair Mets, most teams schedule that way with revenue as the bottom line. Schools make way more money with a home game than with a road or neutral site game. So, most major powerhouses need to maximize revenue by playing most of their non-conference games at home. Likewise, mid-majors and lower tiered schools happily play those road games as the host school typically gives them a six figure payday for showing up, so everyone maximizes revenue this way.

Sure, some teams schedule with the RPI in mind. But, powerhouse schools are mostly worried with their finances, knowing their conference slates give them plenty of strong opponents...unless they're in the SEC.

11/22/2014 2:08 AM
I absolutely schedule to maximize my RPI. Why would anyone do other than that?

In this game, Prestige is the thing that best allows you to move to better jobs or get better players and RPI is the thing that gets you better Tourney seeds. Better seeds means better chance to win in the post season. That means better prestige.

Scheduling a team that you can beat, on the road, who you can project will get a large number of wins while providing you a win is how you get a good RPI. I also look for teams who don't understand the importance of ATH and DEF but will get a high win total.

That said, I never turn down a requested game unless two teams request a game on the same week.

Is that approach gaming the system? Sure.. It is a game system.
11/22/2014 2:29 AM
My Averett team as a example ... I will schedule that way quite often. Because even doing that, my SOS will end up very stout playing in the USA south. Last number of seasons ... 8,6,7,10,1,6. I make it through conference play I'll end up having played quite a lot of really tough games. So I'll end up playing a non conference schedule of "Good sims" peppered with some highlight games in order to beef up the win totals for the year going into conference play. It also gives me some time to tinker with the team and figure out its particular proclivities without sacrificing too much in terms of record and playoff potential. Figure out what I want to do with lineup tweaks and distribution before I hit the meat grinder. Not going to apologize for that. If I get in and get a good seed there, I pretty much feel like I earned it. Just preventing my non conference schedule from spoiling it.

11/22/2014 2:54 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 11/22/2014 2:31:00 AM (view original):
I absolutely schedule to maximize my RPI. Why would anyone do other than that?

In this game, Prestige is the thing that best allows you to move to better jobs or get better players and RPI is the thing that gets you better Tourney seeds. Better seeds means better chance to win in the post season. That means better prestige.

Scheduling a team that you can beat, on the road, who you can project will get a large number of wins while providing you a win is how you get a good RPI. I also look for teams who don't understand the importance of ATH and DEF but will get a high win total.

That said, I never turn down a requested game unless two teams request a game on the same week.

Is that approach gaming the system? Sure.. It is a game system.
hughes, 

dr gil just made a post within the last week in another thread about intentionally scheduling teams that are bad matchups for you in non-con  as opposed to the opposite.  said it gets him out of his comfort zone and lets him know which gameplans work and which dont.  (obviously not to the point where you are left with a losing record, i assume)

i have always sided with you.... if there is an aspect of the game that can help me get to my end goals,  then im gonna use it.   and always felt that the best noncon is  the schedule that leaves you with 9 or 10 wins and the highest sos you can manage.   

but gotta admit im intrigued by gil's theory, partly because my postseason record is not the best and his has been pretty decent.

11/22/2014 11:43 AM
in an ironic twist....

my original post here in response to nachop was that this idea of gaming the noncon ..while very effective at boosting your rpi,  does not usually help much in the projection report  (maybe a few spots)

then, just recently the tark d3 projection report came out and my grensboro team and my conference mate methodist (dasher)  have extremely good projection reports despite sim-heavy non cons in which you could argue we really didnt beat anyone.  im guessing it will sort itself out a bit... but we play each other twice (at least) so that may again work to our advantage.

nacho,  sorry i didnt reply to you sitemail.. been busy.. but i definitely see your point.
11/22/2014 11:50 AM
Posted by themonstars on 11/22/2014 2:08:00 AM (view original):
To be fair Mets, most teams schedule that way with revenue as the bottom line. Schools make way more money with a home game than with a road or neutral site game. So, most major powerhouses need to maximize revenue by playing most of their non-conference games at home. Likewise, mid-majors and lower tiered schools happily play those road games as the host school typically gives them a six figure payday for showing up, so everyone maximizes revenue this way.

Sure, some teams schedule with the RPI in mind. But, powerhouse schools are mostly worried with their finances, knowing their conference slates give them plenty of strong opponents...unless they're in the SEC.

of course the real life pattern of big programs scheduling home games is revenue driven

but, my point is why is it worse in HD to have lots of away games vs real life lots of home games?  what is broken about this effect?  one could just as well say that wanting lots of home games is a problem

for my own teams, I try to adjust our noncon schedule depending on how good I think my team will be - more SIMs if we are going to be weak.  Of course, this is all imprecise - you schedule against a human coach but he moves up and you have a SIM, you think your team will be strong but a couple of marginal EE's leave and you are not...etc
11/22/2014 1:58 PM
Or you look at a team that you think will be beatable and then a human coach takes over them, recruits a good senior transfer and a couple of JUCO and suddenly, viola, good team.
11/22/2014 8:09 PM
It may not be the best strategy move, but I've been trying to schedule the same teams that have human coaches year after year with an ongoing home/away rotation and focusing on teams that are in close proximity as a way to build non-conference rivalries.  
11/22/2014 8:52 PM
I like to get drunk of Saturday nights and send requests to names that look familar.
11/22/2014 9:38 PM
In Smith D2 there is a team (St. Edwards) that goes 6-6-0-0 and has won the NT (handily) in their last three 12-upperclassmen seasons, and is otherwise not really a factor.  Whenever I have a good team in those seasons it is just a complete waste.  I think having recruiting budgets be independent of the number of open scholarships would at least make it harder to get a really deep class of 6 guys.  
11/23/2014 12:12 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Festivus for the rest of us... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.