Recruiting Idea: TWO signing cycles Topic

1. Real college basketball has 2 signing cycles
2. Less Poaching

The idea would be that some guys would be willing to sign early and others wouldn't.  It would spread out recruiting more so it would encourage less poaching of recruits and give more value to those who recruited early.

Thoughts?
11/20/2014 2:47 PM
There is no such thing as "poaching recruits." A recruit is not "yours" until he signs.
11/20/2014 4:09 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 11/20/2014 4:09:00 PM (view original):
There is no such thing as "poaching recruits." A recruit is not "yours" until he signs.
i'm pretty sure when he used the word "poach" he meant when another coach comes after a player that has been considering another team exclusively for multiple cycles. no need to straw man the definition to make the point that there is nothing wrong with poaching. 
11/20/2014 6:11 PM
He's proposing adding a complication to solve a problem that doesn't exist. His rationale, which he invokes twice, is to prevent "poaching." No straw man here champ.
11/20/2014 11:55 PM
grant, How far apart would you put the signing cycles?
11/21/2014 4:51 AM
Posted by kcsundevil on 11/20/2014 11:55:00 PM (view original):
He's proposing adding a complication to solve a problem that doesn't exist. His rationale, which he invokes twice, is to prevent "poaching." No straw man here champ.
I thought Etta was banned. He's reincarnated as you.  CHAMP
11/21/2014 9:54 AM
I like the idea, especially when they say " I wish I could sign right now ____ and there stupid rules."
11/21/2014 9:56 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to this, but I'd like for it to require heightened effort from a coach to get a recruit to sign early. A significant amount more than would be required for the recruit to sign in the regular signing period.
11/21/2014 12:45 PM
I believe there are already about 19 signing cycles........

Do we really need more?
11/21/2014 4:12 PM
Few notes:

1) I don't agree with invoking the "In real life..." argument. There are plenty of things that happen in real life that we don't have in this game, and for good reason.

2) I'm not saying that the OP did this, but from what I've seen, the people that complain the most about "poaching" are those that throw minimal effort into a guy, and then are shocked that someone came after them late in the process. That's not everyone, of course, plenty of people get taken out when *tight* on a recruit. I would suggest asking for a higher considering credit rather than trying to alter the whole signing process.

3) Disagreeing with someone doesn't make you ettaexpress.

4) There was no "strawman" argument made by anyone.
11/21/2014 5:26 PM
Make considering credit more important - decreases the efficacy of poaching withiout requiring a major change in the system.
11/22/2014 7:39 AM
The only way to prevent poaching, even if I think there is no poaching really, is to make it harder for people coming into the last cycle to get considered by a recruit who has decided he wants to join a specific team. If it is not already implemented, they need to do so. In reality, I can't imagine a player getting ready to play for a team, and at the last minute, changing his mind... He already visited the campus, met the coach, discussed what would be is involvement into the team's offense and defense, made contact with the University for his academic studies etc.
11/22/2014 9:36 AM
Posted by zorzii on 11/22/2014 9:36:00 AM (view original):
The only way to prevent poaching, even if I think there is no poaching really, is to make it harder for people coming into the last cycle to get considered by a recruit who has decided he wants to join a specific team. If it is not already implemented, they need to do so. In reality, I can't imagine a player getting ready to play for a team, and at the last minute, changing his mind... He already visited the campus, met the coach, discussed what would be is involvement into the team's offense and defense, made contact with the University for his academic studies etc.
In all honesty, this happens all the time in real life. Lots of guys are committed all the way until signing day and then flip.
11/22/2014 9:47 PM

From ESPN:
Georgia native and Class of 2015 big man Noah Dickerson was originally committed to Georgetown, but backed off of his commitment in late June. ......he mentioned that he would make a spring decision. After previously being committed, it was understandable that Dickerson wanted to wait and make a decision since he was probably behind on the recruiting process and wanted to make sure he made the right choice the second time around.

Which made the 6-foot-8 Dickerson’s commitment to Florida 6 weeks later so surprising. Not only were the Gators able to convince Dickerson to pledge before his initial timeframe, they weren’t even on Dickerson’s core list as of a month ago. Dickerson mentioned to NBCSports.com in July that Georgetown, Louisville, Michigan and Virginia were the four schools involved with him the most.

It goes to show how one school jumping in the mix and making a hard push can really change things in the recruiting process, even if a prospect seems set on abiding by a certain timeframe.

11/23/2014 5:06 AM
Posted by mullycj on 11/21/2014 4:12:00 PM (view original):
I believe there are already about 19 signing cycles........

Do we really need more?
++

there are a bunch of signing cycles already - and as folks know there are a few signing cycles when battles typically get resolved

a better way to describe the proposal would be to add texture to recruits by making some of them not want to sign early - just as some dont want to go to school close to home or far away

those preferences that exist now are very weak and dont make much difference.  I would love to see more recruit texture but this one isnt high on my list.  If there is too much late surges for recruits, increase considering credit. 

But wouldnt it be great if

- some recruits want to go to a warm weather school or a cold weather school
- some recruits care a lot about academics
- some want a city school, some hate that
- recruits are influenced by prior season(s) signings of other kids from their high school
-recruits are influences by prior season signings of other kids from within 50 miles of where they live

all those - and others - would be great texture.  Make it more fun.  AND also give lesser programs more of a chance to find a kid who fits their profile and would go to a midmajor that fits rather than an elite

11/23/2014 7:57 AM
12 Next ▸
Recruiting Idea: TWO signing cycles Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.