D2 Pulldown tips Topic

So I am attempting to pull down a D2 player, and after a few calls the recruit  has me as a backup option. Now, even though the recruit says this, would it be smart to go ahead and try to pursue him now or should I actually wait until possibly after signings start to really make my move into recruiting him?

12/1/2014 11:32 AM
The backup message is the signal for you to start sending Scouting trips - usually about 10 of them at one time - plus an offer.  It means he's available to be recruited, but the STs are your best weapon since they cannot be refused.  If the first 10 don't do the job, send more in smaller increments (your choice, but usually 6 to 10 or more per cycle) until he starts to consider you.

Once he's considering you, any future effort required can be done with home visits/campus visits.  But don't use the HV or CVs until he pulls down.

For many or even most D2/D3 players, the "backup" message is what they live for :)

12/1/2014 12:36 PM (edited)
Not sure why you would wait to after signings.  If the player is at a distance where it won't break your budget to send 10 scouting trips, then go for him, assuming he's not considering anybody.  A lot of times it's important to be the first one on pulldowns because other people will be weary to waste money just to start a battle.  If he's too far or not good enough to pull down, wait until he drops.  If you got a backup message, you'll get another message once he drops if you don't do anything else, and as long as nobody else signs him.  t may take some time for him to drop though.
I hope I helped, if you have more specific questions, or if you want to know what you should do in your specific situation with the amount of money you have available then I'd recommend sitemailing a mentor, or me if you want.  It will get you a more specific answer.
12/1/2014 12:20 PM
Just to be clear:  "Too far" = a Scouting trip at 350 miles cost $304  (in 2012, haven't looked in 2014).  At 360 miles, that same scouting trip will run you $540.

That's what all the guides mean by the distance/cost break.

12/1/2014 12:35 PM
Right, the closer you are the more break you get.  I try to start at 100-150 miles at first.
12/1/2014 3:36 PM
Thanks guys for the help, much appreciated I will try those things
12/1/2014 5:30 PM
Ya I like to do ST 10 at first then send bunches of 5 but lately 10 has been enough and my school is a B+
12/1/2014 7:21 PM
Posted by jaymc2007 on 12/1/2014 3:36:00 PM (view original):
Right, the closer you are the more break you get.  I try to start at 100-150 miles at first.
you probably know this already, but just in case, anything at 190 miles or less is about the same cost.  So 10 miles or 190 really isn't a big difference.
12/1/2014 8:39 PM
What if the player is already considering a SIM school from a division above? Is it still possible to pull down the player? Does it help that I am an A prestige?
12/5/2014 11:31 PM
Posted by cspangler on 12/5/2014 11:31:00 PM (view original):
What if the player is already considering a SIM school from a division above? Is it still possible to pull down the player? Does it help that I am an A prestige?
If you get the back-up message, then you can still pull them down.  But you have to consider if you can beat the sim.  I am not as well versed in battled sims from division above.  It can be done, but would want to check the "word on the street" - it can be expensive when battling d2 vs. d1, if I understand correctly.  been a long time since I have had that scenario.  Also, I'm not sure prestige will matter per say.  Make the phone call to the recruit and see what he says.  

I did try several seasons ago to pull down a guy to d2 that was considering a low level d1 school and wasted a lot of money before giving up.  Could never even get on the considering list.

12/6/2014 1:38 AM
Thanks for the advice.
12/6/2014 7:12 AM
10 ST isn't the floor that commonly goes around as forum fact........as time passes players can be pulled down for less..
12/6/2014 9:24 AM
Posted by scaturo on 12/6/2014 9:24:00 AM (view original):
10 ST isn't the floor that commonly goes around as forum fact........as time passes players can be pulled down for less..
After signings begin, yes, 10 ST might even be high.

But the point is to get a player on your considering list ASAP without losing additional cycles piecemealing your recruiting budget and giving other schools time to jump on him.  10 ST has been the "common wisdom" for a long time and it's always worked for me if the player is pullable.

Sometimes, 10 hasn't been enough either.  I've sent as many as 30 STs to a player in the past just to get on their list.

12/6/2014 11:28 AM
10 is very often not enough for me. If I'm pulling on day one, I never use only 10. On day two I will usually use 10, and on signing day I will use 8. I don't think I've ever done it for less than 8
12/6/2014 12:03 PM
I've pulled down for as low as 6 ST on the 4th cycle (this was before I learned about the 10 thing) I sent a call cycle 1 and then 2 ST for 3 cycles and he was recruitable... But that is the lowest I've seen and now just for speed and safety I send 10 then 5 and so on...
12/7/2014 1:00 AM
D2 Pulldown tips Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.