A disturbing lack of D1 battles. Topic

Posted by mamxet on 12/12/2014 8:56:00 AM (view original):
favorite schools is just one example of how more texture could make recruiting more fun AND give lesser teams a shot

favorite schools
prefer warm climate
prefer cold climate
care about academics
care about party school
pipelines - pipeline connection with a particular high school or with a local geographic area

I love the idea of pipeline. If you have gotten 10 recruits from the same school over a course of seasons than that schools coach and recruits should be loyal to you as long as you didn't break any promises.  +1
12/12/2014 9:47 AM
Posted by aejones on 12/12/2014 3:11:00 AM (view original):
this is like playing nearly any board game. collusion is beneficial to all. game theory would probably dictate few battles. probably a mixed strategy of rare battles with the occasional bluff thrown in.
collusion is beneficial to all?  

i think i need a deeper explanation of that, jonesy.

12/12/2014 10:17 AM
Posted by tkimble on 12/12/2014 1:15:00 AM (view original):
Not sure about the minimum requirement for players based on talent, but boosting the value of starts and minutes would be really easy.  It's a much smaller change than changing all of recruit generation, but it would certainly make a lot of people happy and add a needed wrinkle to recruiting.  
I agree, but as it stands now starts and minutes can only be offered if the recruit is considering you.  They should be able to be used to get a recruit to consider you, not just as an added after they like you.
12/12/2014 10:44 AM
Posted by cburton23 on 12/12/2014 10:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tkimble on 12/12/2014 1:15:00 AM (view original):
Not sure about the minimum requirement for players based on talent, but boosting the value of starts and minutes would be really easy.  It's a much smaller change than changing all of recruit generation, but it would certainly make a lot of people happy and add a needed wrinkle to recruiting.  
I agree, but as it stands now starts and minutes can only be offered if the recruit is considering you.  They should be able to be used to get a recruit to consider you, not just as an added after they like you.
Not true.  Starts can be used to get a consider you, minutes cannot.  
12/12/2014 12:23 PM
I've always had them rejected, but that could be because they don't want to play for me no matter how much or when they play
12/12/2014 12:24 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 12/11/2014 11:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tkimble on 12/11/2014 6:26:00 PM (view original):
Threshold + HUGE bump to starts & minutes for upper level guys and recruiting would be wayyyyyy more interesting.  I'd be all for it.  
+1
+ 1 x 1099999999999999999999
12/12/2014 12:28 PM
Posted by acn24 on 12/12/2014 7:58:00 AM (view original):
One note on increasing the value of starts and promises - if that is done they also need to SIGNIFICANTLY increase the penalties for not fulfilling promises. Like, if you break a promise, they start getting declined by other recruits for a couple of seasons, and transfers are almost guaranteed after broken promises. I'm hesitant to give a ton of weight to something as completely crazy as favorite school. In Tark the last 10-12 seasons there have been fewer than 5 CA recruits list UCLA as their favorite school.
+1
12/12/2014 2:28 PM
favorite schools is just one example of how more texture could make recruiting more fun AND give lesser teams a shot

favorite schools
prefer warm climate
prefer cold climate
care about academics
care about party school
pipelines - pipeline connection with a particular high school or with a local geographic area

+1
12/12/2014 2:29 PM
Posted by acn24 on 12/12/2014 7:58:00 AM (view original):
One note on increasing the value of starts and promises - if that is done they also need to SIGNIFICANTLY increase the penalties for not fulfilling promises. Like, if you break a promise, they start getting declined by other recruits for a couple of seasons, and transfers are almost guaranteed after broken promises. I'm hesitant to give a ton of weight to something as completely crazy as favorite school. In Tark the last 10-12 seasons there have been fewer than 5 CA recruits list UCLA as their favorite school.
Agreed but the severity of the hit should vary depending on the severity of the broken promise.
12/12/2014 2:38 PM

favorite schools
prefer warm climate
prefer cold climate
care about academics
care about party school

I'd include guaranteed distro and favorite Off/Def IQ's 
12/12/2014 8:16 PM
This is a game of the rich get richer that's the bottom line. I don't say much but I've been in this for abt 8 years and can say a to a plus prestige schools though they worked to get there never ever have down years because no one has a chance for top 25 talent if its fairly close to the school. Texas I don't think has ever battled for a recruit. Lol I've accepted it for what it is. I fight for pi and nt bids with early exits and I have come to know that's all I'll ever get with the likes of a to a plus schools. Many years ago a Texas Christian could win championships but that was changed so the mid majors can never ever get high enough prestige to win win win.

I'm in for the promising starts and mins to top talent weighing a lot more. That is real!!!!!
12/24/2014 9:10 PM
The top teams scour the country and lock in the best players.........and stock up on PG's leaving nothing for anybody else to work with. 

I'm probably finished after this go around and I've been wasting money on this simulator for nearly five years. 

12/28/2014 6:16 AM
Posted by oldave on 12/12/2014 10:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by aejones on 12/12/2014 3:11:00 AM (view original):
this is like playing nearly any board game. collusion is beneficial to all. game theory would probably dictate few battles. probably a mixed strategy of rare battles with the occasional bluff thrown in.
collusion is beneficial to all?  

i think i need a deeper explanation of that, jonesy.

Kind of funny i was randomly reading through some threads I had posted in and realized i never replied to this. 

basically the set up for many multiplayer games is such that battling destroys the two people battling and helps everyone else. two most obvious examples i can think of off the top of my head that most people will have played are:

1. Risk: fighting is only beneficial to conquer a territory or to take out an opponent to get their cards. in all other cases your best play will be fortify what you have, win one territory that turn to get a card, and hope that your opponents fight (And therefore weaken) each other. there is some hierarchy jostling but it's primarily aimed at people who are "one spot" from each other in the "who is winning?" question. that is, if you're in fourth it's likely you can't do much about the guy in first, you jsut have to wait it out and hope everyone kills each other; but if you're in second you'll need to keep tabs on first if you're playing to win.... otherwise, this is a game where being very passive (and collusive, even making political alliances if you and your friends allow such secret handshake wink wink nod nod things) is beneficial. 

2. monopoly: this is the most obvious example where the only way to get a monopoly is often to trade one for another. every trade that is made helps you and your trading partner (who is helps more is irrelevant, if you're making a trade it should benefit both parties unless oyu're the worst monopoly player ever) and hurts everyone else in the game. 

the point im making is that it's basically the same with HD. game theory recruiting would basically have circles around every school with a radius of 360 miles. within every radius a school would probably fill up all of their scholarships minus two spots open, spending the least amount to get "high priority" while saving the most for any potential battle. anytime two schools got on the same person, the school at a disadvantage of ammo (prestige/distance/money) would immediately give up and move on to the next best recruit in the area, bumping off whatever other school was at a disadvantage until everyone got exactly who they "should" get, roughly. there would be some overlapping battles where the relative value of the money for the disadvantaged school jsut wasn't that important (like if they have three openings and one guy clearly locked up and 60k to fire hard with just to keep the other local school honest), but for the most part everyone would fall in line. schools would move up if they got lucky and had good area recruits and move down if they got unlucky. there are probably some other elements to this that include the occasional wild, unwinnable battle just so everyone knows you have it in you. this is basically elements of dawkins' selfish gene when he talks about the GTO behavior of animals battling for one reason or another-- there are tons of options: fight, flight, fight but pretend to flight, flight but pretend to fight, flip a coin on whether you fight or flight, etc. (this is an incredibly vague analogy)

of course this isn't how recruiting works in practice, but it's mostly the most beneficial way for everyone involved. this is much less relevant to d2/d3 where i do most of my work where 90% of recruiting is just paying attention and trying to get guys who fall through the cracks (signed a monster D2 xfer recently who was cut by an A+ prestige coach who was new to the school... no idea why he cut him, he'd prob be a future D2 AA). 

anyway i certainly didn't mean that i collude, i was just talking about the general game theory of recruiting. anytime i get some idiot emailing me about how he wants to give me advice about one silly recruiting thing or another or how "this is his guy!" i just ignore it and chalk it up to people being idiots. 
5/10/2015 3:37 AM
I love the idea of a minimum recruiting dollars for top recruits!  Right now an A+ school can have the top 5 recruits in a region considering them for only a couple grand a piece.  That leaves a ton of money in reserve for anyone who is dumb enough to go after one of their guys. In the end  they sign all of those guys for cheap and carryover a bunch of money for next season.  If they had to spend let's say 10k on each guy to get considered they would have a much smaller reserve to protect their recruits.  Let's say that A+ team started with 100k to recruit with.  Currently they could lock everyone up for 10-20k depending on distance.  Knowing they have 80-90k in reserve makes it a known losing proposition to battle for any of the recruits, but if they had to spend 50k+ to get considered by the top recruits now they are much more vulnerable to someone willing to go all in to battle for one of their guys.  Once one person decides to battle it can turn into an avalanche with that A+ school with less reserves now in a battle making the other recruits even more vulnerable.  I think the minimum recruiting effort idea would not allow A+ schools to go after as many recruits which would open up more talent for everyone else.  

I do have a problem with all of the fatalistic posts stating that it is impossible to succeed with the current system.  How did all of the coaches who are at A+ schools get there?  They didn't win a WIS lottery to land an A+ school.  These coaches worked their way through the current system building up their prestige until they arrived at an A+ just like anyone else could do.  Some of these coaches have been at their A+ school forever and maybe it was easier back then, that was before my time.  I do see new A+ programs all the time.  I just built Oregon to an A+(well I am really only an A, but the draft put me at A+ for this season) in Tark.  If I can do it anyone can do it.  I think the problem is people have no patience.  It does take awhile to work your way through the system (and maybe that is a problem), but it is certainly not impossible.  It was fun for me the entire way because I set goals for each season.  When I was a D prestige low mid major my goal was to win double digit games so I could improve my HCA.  When I was a C prestige my goal was to make the post season.  When I was a B prestige my goal was to make the NT and then win a game.  All along the goal is always to increase your prestige.  When I was a low big 6 team and I had a goal of just making the NT it didn't bother me so much that I knew I was going to get crushed by the big boys in the conference.  By  making the post season each year I was able to continue raising my prestige until I was slowly able to compete with the big boys.
5/10/2015 7:01 AM
I understand the logic of spending a minimum to lock up top recruits, but wouldn't that make recruiting just THAT much more localized?  For example, take a 5-star recruit that's 100 miles from an A+ school.  If there' s a min effort, say, 30 HVs, school X spends 30 HVs x $319 = 9,570.  If school Y is 220 miles from the recruit, they'd have to spend 30 HVs x $418 = $12540.  So just for the minimum effort they'd have to spend 25% more money (which I fully understand if school Y wanted to battle school X the 25% thing would be a factor anyway, regardless of the minimum).  But school Z is > 360 miles away and knows they really going to have to start breaking the bank to get to 30HVs, making it more likely they'll just stay in their own backyard.

And if you make money the deciding factor, Duke could get to $10K really quickly recruiting a kid in Stanford's backyard while only putting in about 1/3 of the effort.  In other words, Stanford would have to send 30 HVs for Duke's 4 or 5 CV, yet the money spent would be the same and the effort would not.  

Maybe I'm missing something, but to me there would have to be a 2nd component to min effort otherwise it seems recruiting would become even more localized than it already is.
5/10/2015 11:47 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
A disturbing lack of D1 battles. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.