Add a player rating category Topic

If WIS were to add one player rating category (I.e. Ath, spd...) what would you like to see and what do you think it would add to the game?
12/14/2014 8:35 AM
Midrange shooting. Split defense into post and perimeter. Rename athleticism strength, and add agility so you have strength, speed and agility.
12/14/2014 10:50 AM
Splitting defense into post defense and perimeter defense. It was mentioned on the seble's things to do list, but never happened.
12/14/2014 12:21 PM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 12/14/2014 10:50:00 AM (view original):
Midrange shooting. Split defense into post and perimeter. Rename athleticism strength, and add agility so you have strength, speed and agility.
Oh man, you would have "loved" the old, old days of HD then. You could practice "shooting" and had no control on whether it improved Low Post or Perimeter. Were separate ratings for each, but not separate categories to practice, just one generic shooting. So if you had a SF who might have a, say, 45 LP and 15 LP, when you practiced "shooting", you could just about guarantee that any improvements you'd see were going to be in LP.

Of course, you also couldn't pick your own non-conference schedule either and were just stuck with whatever the computer randomly generated for you each season. Really sucked if you got a weak, weak non-con schedule and then happeneed to get upset in your CT. PIT, here I come! Two of the very best improvements ever made, spiltting practice times for "shooting" and allowing us to set our own schedules.
12/14/2014 1:26 PM
I'd like to see a split between strength and agility as well. I guess you could throw vertical in there too but it might be best lumped in with strength.

Mid-range shooting would be cool, as would layup ability.

But my hope that any of these ever happen is almost negligible.
12/14/2014 1:35 PM
I think agility is kind of covered with speed. I would like to see athleticism split into strength and jumping.
12/14/2014 1:36 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 12/14/2014 1:26:00 PM (view original):
Oh man, you would have "loved" the old, old days of HD then. You could practice "shooting" and had no control on whether it improved Low Post or Perimeter. Were separate ratings for each, but not separate categories to practice, just one generic shooting. So if you had a SF who might have a, say, 45 LP and 15 LP, when you practiced "shooting", you could just about guarantee that any improvements you'd see were going to be in LP.

Of course, you also couldn't pick your own non-conference schedule either and were just stuck with whatever the computer randomly generated for you each season. Really sucked if you got a weak, weak non-con schedule and then happeneed to get upset in your CT. PIT, here I come! Two of the very best improvements ever made, spiltting practice times for "shooting" and allowing us to set our own schedules.
Wow, HD sucked back then!
12/14/2014 2:11 PM
Not a player rating category, but one thing I'd like to see, besides splitting post and perimeter D, which is an excellent idea, is the ability to name a team captain. I think it could have a lot of fun and strategic aspects to it. For example, having your team captain on the floor can increase the IQ of the other 4 players, say somewhere between 1/3 letter grade (ie, C+ to B-) and a full grade (C+ to B+), depending on the work ethic, GPA, and IQs of the captain. And maybe it could have individual impact as well, for instance substantially increasing work ethic for the player denoted (say, 20 points or so per season). So you make a choice between naming a young and/or low work ethic captain to help that individual player maximize his potential, and choosing the high work ethic, high GPA/IQ senior (who has the stamina and defense to stay on the floor as much as possible) to maximize your game-by-game benefit for the team.
12/14/2014 5:01 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 12/14/2014 5:01:00 PM (view original):
Not a player rating category, but one thing I'd like to see, besides splitting post and perimeter D, which is an excellent idea, is the ability to name a team captain. I think it could have a lot of fun and strategic aspects to it. For example, having your team captain on the floor can increase the IQ of the other 4 players, say somewhere between 1/3 letter grade (ie, C+ to B-) and a full grade (C+ to B+), depending on the work ethic, GPA, and IQs of the captain. And maybe it could have individual impact as well, for instance substantially increasing work ethic for the player denoted (say, 20 points or so per season). So you make a choice between naming a young and/or low work ethic captain to help that individual player maximize his potential, and choosing the high work ethic, high GPA/IQ senior (who has the stamina and defense to stay on the floor as much as possible) to maximize your game-by-game benefit for the team.
Pretty cool idea actually. 
12/14/2014 6:43 PM
Looking through the players guide it looks like athleticism is important for low post defense and speed for perimeter. So I definitely agree with adding either a low post or perimeter defense category or both. It would make it a lot easier for lower level or newer coaches to compete I think since so many good coaches often dominate the high athleticism and defensive players. But I also wonder how much shot block adds to defense especially in the post. Does it factor into defense in general (affecting shots and causing misses) or does it matter only if the shot is missed in the simulation?
12/14/2014 7:02 PM
Posted by trail on 12/14/2014 6:43:00 PM (view original):
What if your captain is a moron with a 2.1 gpa and 1 WE freshman?
12/14/2014 9:23 PM
Posted by yanks250125 on 12/14/2014 9:23:00 PM (view original):

Going off what I already laid out, I think what happens in that kind of scenario is that the coach is putting that individual player development ahead of team performance. And it might make sense in some situations, or at least be defensible. What I was thinking was that if you have a team with a bunch of returning upperclassmen with A- and up IQs, those guys don't need the IQ boost to be successful. In that case, you can choose the talented slacker from your freshman class with the really low work ethic, who will basically "captain" the guys he plays with off the bench. Only slight IQ boost in that case, but the plus is that you can build this guys work ethic by pinning the captain patch to his jersey the first two years. Then he can start his junior season with something like a 40-50 work ethic, and a couple seasons to start making headway on his potentials. 

The reason I shot this out there is that when I think about what ratings I would add to the game, the first thing that comes to mind is leadership. But I couldn't make that hypothetical work in my head as a rating that all players had. It made more sense to me to make it a composite "hidden" rating that could be used one player per season. So that's the essence of it.

12/14/2014 9:38 PM
Posted by yanks250125 on 12/14/2014 9:23:00 PM (view original):
all your upperclassmen transfer?
12/15/2014 1:01 AM
What about a clutch rating? How well he performs down the stretch in a close game when the pressure is on?
12/15/2014 2:47 AM
Posted by thewizard17 on 12/15/2014 2:47:00 AM (view original):
What about a clutch rating? How well he performs down the stretch in a close game when the pressure is on?
there is no such thing as clutch

http://research.sabr.org/journals/the-statistical-mirage-of-clutch-hitting

okay that article is specifically about hitting but it still applies
12/15/2014 5:42 AM
123 Next ▸
Add a player rating category Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.