What Do You Think... Topic

...about this:

"XXXXXXXXX can you let me have this one, I can't afford a bidding battle with a div II team but I can't lose the investment I have in Rogers right now. If you are in the same situation and can't step away I understand but let me know"

This was posted on a message board during recruiting (not going to specify the world, conference, or coaches involved). The message was directed TO a D2 coach FROM a D3 coach. I thought it might just be an inexperienced (i.e., rookie or brand new) coach who wasn't really aware of how recruiting etiquette works, but this particular coach has been at that same school for over 50 seasons so he should be very well-versed on the yea's and nay's of recruiting.

For what it's worth, the D3 coach signed the player and the D2 coach took a walk-on. Seems more than a little shady to me, but maybe I'm in the minority on this one.

What are YOUR thoughts HD community?
12/31/2014 6:46 PM (edited)
Almost nobody reads the terms of service or fair play guidelines when they register. Although, ignorance of the law is no excuse, it shouldn't be all that surprising when it happens.

I really don't have an issue with it, to be honest. It's kind of like one coach going up to another in real life and asking if he can have a certain player. I don't think he was doing anything to be dishonest or was trying to get away with anything........unless

he sitemailed the coach and said hey look " i can offer you a free season in exchange for this one player" then that would be a major issue.

12/31/2014 7:23 PM (edited)
Absolutely shady imo. First of all, the D3 coach is clearly requesting that another coach back off on a recruit. And second, he's saying that if the D2 coach can't back off, he should notify him. Simply knowing upfront that another coach is going to be agressive is an information advantage that any other coach wouldn't have.

I've seen / heard of recruiting situations that are borderline ethically, but to me, this one isn't.

12/31/2014 7:11 PM
I can't believe this was posted on a message board and not in a sitemail.

In my opinion, it is obviously collusion and should not be allowed. It doesn't matter if the DIII coach has not read the fair play guidelines, you can't be around for 50+ seasons and not have seen discussion of the guidelines somewhere along the line. The DII coach should share the blame for backing off and allowing the player to go to the other coach. Now if there was a legitimate battle and the DIII team won then that's a different ballgame. However, it doesn't appear to be the case here.
12/31/2014 7:25 PM
Kind of what I was thinking also Bhansalid and Weena. Thanks for your input. You too Wizard.
1/1/2015 4:34 AM
Totally weak
1/1/2015 10:50 AM
To me, it's cheating, it should be reported. Nothing should be said, even between friends, during recruiting. I mean, It's collusion. I'd go nuts if it happened and I was in the same division.
1/1/2015 11:21 AM
That's one thing I don't understand Zorzii. There are other humans in that D2 conference and although we don't know if they reported to CS, none of them put up a reply on their message board saying it was shady or anything of the sort. In fact, none of the other conference coaches said anything at all, at least publicly.
1/1/2015 12:17 PM
Where he crossed the line for me was requesting that the other coach relinquish the recruit to him. In my opinion (although it's likely still against FPGs) if a coach is willing to put the information out there that a recruit is just a fallback option for him, then I have no problem with it because anyone can view this if it's posted on CC. But if there is any private communication, it becomes very shady.

With that being said, I haven't nor will I ever attempt such a maneuver. What's the fun in recruiting if you're not constantly reassessing all the intentions and potential actions of other coaches?
1/1/2015 12:18 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 1/1/2015 10:50:00 AM (view original):
Totally weak
Agreed Colonels. The D3 coach took a chance recruiting a good player (at least I would assume), got into a battle with a D2 coach, blew his wad trying to win that battle and when he realized he was beat, begged and pleaded for the D2 coach to back off when he was the one who had screwed up. You're right....weak. Hey dude, you lost a battle, you messed up and you're taking a walk-on, learn from it and move on. End of story.
1/1/2015 12:22 PM
i think you should disclose the names of the coaches. its straight up cheating...no 2 ways about it.
1/1/2015 12:32 PM
I think it is cheating as well.  I don't think you need to report it to the public, but I would submit a ticket to customer service and they can handle it.  Players should get warned at least or whatever WIS deems appropriate in these situations.
1/1/2015 1:00 PM
I'm not going to publicly shame them Jtt.
1/1/2015 1:33 PM
This happened in a conference of mine.

I didn't say anything because to me its the D3 coach openly admitting he has no more money.

Seems like a stupid thing to do on his part.
1/1/2015 1:43 PM
I just researched this and found out who it was...pathetic...a 55 season veteran of the game that is old enough to know better/not beg for a player...dude's definitely on the ***** list from here on in
1/1/2015 1:46 PM
12 Next ▸
What Do You Think... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.