What Do You Think... Topic

Posted by tannermcc on 1/1/2015 1:43:00 PM (view original):
This happened in a conference of mine.

I didn't say anything because to me its the D3 coach openly admitting he has no more money.

Seems like a stupid thing to do on his part.
It WAS a stupid thing to do on his part. What's even stupider is to post something like that on a message board where everyone can see it. You'd think after 50+ seasons the guy would have heard of sitemail.

However, it's also wrong. What's crazy is how he somehow ended up with the player anyway while the D2 coach has a walk-on on his roster.
1/1/2015 2:49 PM (edited)
Posted by colonels19 on 1/1/2015 1:47:00 PM (view original):
I just researched this and found out who it was...pathetic...a 55 season veteran of the game that is old enough to know better/not beg for a player...dude's definitely on the ***** list from here on in
I'll just say one thing about it. Good research.
1/1/2015 2:48 PM
Posted by Weena on 12/31/2014 7:25:00 PM (view original):
I can't believe this was posted on a message board and not in a sitemail.

In my opinion, it is obviously collusion and should not be allowed. It doesn't matter if the DIII coach has not read the fair play guidelines, you can't be around for 50+ seasons and not have seen discussion of the guidelines somewhere along the line. The DII coach should share the blame for backing off and allowing the player to go to the other coach. Now if there was a legitimate battle and the DIII team won then that's a different ballgame. However, it doesn't appear to be the case here.
we dont know why the d2 coach backed off, maybe he was going to do that anyway? i don't think you can penalize him in this case, unless he responded to the other coach that he was backing off or similar (which i assume emy would have shared). he can't be forced to get into a fight because another coach said something he shouldn't have said.

also, i am inclined to think that the offending coach (the d3 coach) would not have posted that on the CC if they thought it was cheating. im not saying they aren't a cheater, but usually cheaters try a teeny bit not to get caught. i don't hear about these things except on the forums, and not everybody reads the forums - im not even sure the majority reads the forums. so i tend to take the approach that people who are so open in crossing that line, may not know where that line is. maybe they do, but i think someone should explain the situation to the guy in a reasonably nice manner, as a starting point, and point them to the fair play guidelines.

1/2/2015 12:02 PM
Posted by coach_billyg on 1/2/2015 12:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Weena on 12/31/2014 7:25:00 PM (view original):
I can't believe this was posted on a message board and not in a sitemail.

In my opinion, it is obviously collusion and should not be allowed. It doesn't matter if the DIII coach has not read the fair play guidelines, you can't be around for 50+ seasons and not have seen discussion of the guidelines somewhere along the line. The DII coach should share the blame for backing off and allowing the player to go to the other coach. Now if there was a legitimate battle and the DIII team won then that's a different ballgame. However, it doesn't appear to be the case here.
we dont know why the d2 coach backed off, maybe he was going to do that anyway? i don't think you can penalize him in this case, unless he responded to the other coach that he was backing off or similar (which i assume emy would have shared). he can't be forced to get into a fight because another coach said something he shouldn't have said.

also, i am inclined to think that the offending coach (the d3 coach) would not have posted that on the CC if they thought it was cheating. im not saying they aren't a cheater, but usually cheaters try a teeny bit not to get caught. i don't hear about these things except on the forums, and not everybody reads the forums - im not even sure the majority reads the forums. so i tend to take the approach that people who are so open in crossing that line, may not know where that line is. maybe they do, but i think someone should explain the situation to the guy in a reasonably nice manner, as a starting point, and point them to the fair play guidelines.

FWIW, the D2 coach didn't respond, at least not publicly.

I do think though that you're cutting just a bit too much leeway to a coach with 55 seasons under his belt. And that's 55 seasons in the same world, so what, about 7-8 YEARS of real world time? I just have a very hard time believing that someone who has been playing the game for that length of time wouldn't realize that what he was doing probably wasn't the "best of ideas".
1/2/2015 1:37 PM
Erik, 55 seasons is probably about 5 years time fwiw.  I've been at Mount Olive since October 2010 and it'll be 50 seasons, next season.  I'm more or less validating your point here, and also fwiw, what Erik (emy) posted here was verbatim what the guy posted on the D2 conference board...it's pretty blatant begging...from a seasoned HD coach.  Weak.
1/2/2015 8:53 PM
a 55 season "veteran" who has finished ranked in the top 25 once and never made it to an elite 8.  big whoop
1/2/2015 9:37 PM
Is it collusion...technically yes...but the public nature of the event leads me to believe the coach is probably not aware of the fairplay guidelines and was not behaving with subversive intentions. In my humble opinion, they should be informed of the rules and made aware that their actions were inappropriate.
1/2/2015 10:48 PM
Sucking at the game is no excuse.
1/3/2015 12:00 AM
Posted by colonels19 on 1/2/2015 8:53:00 PM (view original):
Erik, 55 seasons is probably about 5 years time fwiw.  I've been at Mount Olive since October 2010 and it'll be 50 seasons, next season.  I'm more or less validating your point here, and also fwiw, what Erik (emy) posted here was verbatim what the guy posted on the D2 conference board...it's pretty blatant begging...from a seasoned HD coach.  Weak.
You're correct about the time Colonels. I was thinking of one-a-day worlds when I figured it in my head and he's obviously in a two-a-day. Good catch. The only thing not verbatim is the XXXX'd out name obviously.
1/3/2015 7:08 AM
Posted by tannermcc on 1/1/2015 1:43:00 PM (view original):
This happened in a conference of mine.

I didn't say anything because to me its the D3 coach openly admitting he has no more money.

Seems like a stupid thing to do on his part.
Tanner said he's in the same conference where this happened. Perhaps he'd be a good person to subtly bring it up now that recruiting has ended. He's got enough HD experience to have the status to get the point across. I don't know that I'm going to say anything because I have a feeling it would devolve into something really ugly. I don't have much use for people like that. Either one of them actually.

Let's not forget that the D3 coach has the player on his roster and the D2 coach has a walk-on. Sure, there might be a different explanation, but first impression is that the D2 coach did the D3 coach a solid. Smells more than a "little" fishy. In fact, it smells a lot like Colonels second girlfriend, the one everyone called "Tuna Tina". Have a great day Colonels! Good luck on your show, hoping you crush it my friend!!!
1/3/2015 7:19 AM (edited)
lofl!
1/3/2015 11:09 AM
The D3 and the D2 coaches are friends for sure. He did take a walk-on and some coaches think walk-ons are detrimental to O/D team practices, which means the IQ develops slower than normallly.
1/3/2015 11:23 AM
Posted by zorzii on 1/3/2015 11:23:00 AM (view original):
The D3 and the D2 coaches are friends for sure. He did take a walk-on and some coaches think walk-ons are detrimental to O/D team practices, which means the IQ develops slower than normallly.
Only with multiple walk-ons Zorzii. Even then the hit is small. Barely even noticeable with two, if you notice at all.
1/4/2015 6:41 PM
there is a veteran coach that was in a full conference when i joined. the opening recruiting cycle, he told me in the coaches' corner that the conference has a rule of not recruiting against each other. apparently he told every coach this when they joined the conference because when i pushed back on the "rule" other, newer coaches chimed in with 'i told you so's' or 'that's what i said too'. i ended up battling his buddy who was in our conference that very first season. after the season, this coach literally disbanded the conference, with all of the coaches but me a 3 others leaving. this was d3 by the way.

anyways, the point is that there are veteran coaches who don't accept that this practice (and other forms of collusion) is against the rules. not sure how they consistently get away with it but i much prefer the people who do it in the open than those that do it by other means...sitemails, emails, etc.
1/4/2015 8:07 PM
Posted by zorzii on 1/3/2015 11:23:00 AM (view original):
i dont get it - how do you know the d2 coach really wanted the player or felt it was worth the money for a battle? if they were friends, wouldn't the one have just texted the other or similar?
1/4/2015 11:01 PM
◂ Prev 12
What Do You Think... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.