Most dominant coaching stretch? Topic

I was looking around at Tarks D2 history and saw Rails at West Chester PA 

Seasons 8-20 (13 seasons) saw West Chester PA win 9 NT appear in 1 more, 2 Sweet 16's, and 1 Elite 8

Basically 70% of the NC were by this coach and they appeared in 77% of the NC

Record of 414-34 a win percentage of 92.4%

In this period the highest SOS was 24 once during a NC loss.  The average SOS in the 13 seasons were 8.

Is there any stretch by a single coach so dominant in any division/world?

1/6/2015 4:13 PM
I would offer narcotico's run at Greensboro in Tark from seasons 49-58. 

311-24 record, 5 national championships, 1 national runner-up, 2 final fours, 1 Elite Eight and 1 Sweet Sixteen. Never an SOS below 13. 
1/6/2015 4:50 PM
lostmyth for allt he time he played HD
1/6/2015 4:56 PM
My best stretch was 6 titles in 9 seasons, the other 3 seasons were title a game loss and 2 elite eights with only 1 of the 9 seasons having an RPI worse than 2. Rails' run is longer a.k.a. better.
1/6/2015 7:31 PM
For D1, robdoc3's record in Knight is pretty good and ongoing. In the last 22 seasons, running two different programs, he's had an RPI above 10 just 1 time and 13 times he was a No. 1 or No. 2 RPI. He's won six titles and been to seven other final fours.
1/6/2015 9:22 PM
I would like to take credit for setting the stage for Rails to make that amazing run.  Whether I deserve any or not.
1/6/2015 10:48 PM
do a search in the forum search for "list index" and you will pull up the dynasty list index, which lists the greatest runs of all time, across worlds and times. i really need to update that, someone reminded me that although i put out the new current dynasty lists, i failed to update the all time lists...
1/6/2015 11:23 PM
Until someone wins 8 in 9 to tie, or 9 in 10 to surpass, I think it has to be Rails.
1/7/2015 1:09 AM
It isn't as long as some of the others, but I'll submit it due to the challenge of doing at DI versus DII or DIII. Oldman's run from seasons 61-66 at Michigan State in Crum. 5 titles and a Final Four in a six season period, a cumulative 199-10 record, including 2 undefeated seasons.
1/7/2015 6:59 AM
Posted by acn24 on 1/7/2015 6:59:00 AM (view original):
It isn't as long as some of the others, but I'll submit it due to the challenge of doing at DI versus DII or DIII. Oldman's run from seasons 61-66 at Michigan State in Crum. 5 titles and a Final Four in a six season period, a cumulative 199-10 record, including 2 undefeated seasons.
+1

I personally think it's this.
1/7/2015 12:32 PM
Posted by jdno on 1/7/2015 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by acn24 on 1/7/2015 6:59:00 AM (view original):
+1

I personally think it's this.
i agree

the divisions are different, and the eras are different, that always makes it hard to compare. its not 8 in 9 but i think what oldman pulled off was harder for his time/situation than what rails pulled off. rails got his in that special slice of time when only a handful knew about pulldowns, so you weren't really the best of 150 coaches in a world, it was more like being the best of the dozen who were playing the same game as you, and the other 130+ weren't remotely a threat. oldman won his in an established d1 world at a time with no major engine changes, no first mover advantage, just straight up killed everyone. i think before oldman there were a handful of runs where it was hard to say which was what, i had a couple of those myself, and it seemed pretty much like a wash to me between the top 5 or so. but i definitely put oldman's run above my own and all the others, i think there is enough separation there, to make it the clear #1 by itself - because its not only the best by the numbers, but doesn't have a significant mitigating circumstance tagged with it.

at the very least, its got to be #1 in d1. the only competition i know about would be OR with 5/8 and 3 in a row at uconn, but it was in d1 tarks baby days where the first movers had a huge advantage. i won 5 in 9 a bit later but it was split across 2 school and the filling seasons weren't good. i think oldman's crushes both of those, and all of lostmyths schools, none of which had the dense x title in y format kind of greatness, his greatness was more in having a few d1 programs that were all amazing at the same time. girt's only mid major title (acn now won at that school too though) in the new engine era was pretty great but you can't really put one title against 5 in 6 years. theres other coaches in d1 with loads of titles, acn and aramano and some others, but i dont think anything close to 5/6. clone had one run at one of his iowa states that was insanely good too but again just falls short of that 5/6.
1/8/2015 11:35 AM
I didn't want to bring up the part on Rails's run occurring during when I think he was one of the very few who knew about pulldowns/dropdowns, but to me that is a very significant factor.  Obviously an outstanding run, but still, just as you said.  And all your other stated reasons for oldman's run are very valid.  It's just unheard of in D1 for such a run, so the rarity of the feat, plus the fact that it happened in a 1x/day world makes it more meaningful imo.
1/8/2015 1:40 PM
75 carlbuzz 33-2 11-1 14-0 8-1 15-1 1 2 5 A+ Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
National Champion
74 carlbuzz 32-2 10-0 15-1 7-1 15-1 3 2 4 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (Final Four)
73 carlbuzz 35-0 11-0 15-0 9-0 16-0 1 1 4 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
National Champion
72 carlbuzz 30-5 6-2 15-3 9-0 13-3 1 7 11 A+ CT Champion
National Champion
71 carlbuzz 32-3 10-1 14-1 8-1 15-1 2 1 2 A+ Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (Championship Game)
70 carlbuzz 27-7 7-1 14-4 6-2 13-3 5 5 2 A+ Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
NT (Final Four)

This is pretty decent.
(5)... 30-win seasons in a row.
1/12/2015 3:19 PM (edited)
Posted by jdno on 1/8/2015 1:40:00 PM (view original):
I didn't want to bring up the part on Rails's run occurring during when I think he was one of the very few who knew about pulldowns/dropdowns, but to me that is a very significant factor.  Obviously an outstanding run, but still, just as you said.  And all your other stated reasons for oldman's run are very valid.  It's just unheard of in D1 for such a run, so the rarity of the feat, plus the fact that it happened in a 1x/day world makes it more meaningful imo.
I don't think I quite understand why it happening in a 1x/day world makes it "more meaningful" than the 2x/day worlds. What, do they play more games in a 1x/day world or something? That really just sounds like a personal bias against the 2x/day worlds. I mean seriously, the only difference is that roughly half the games are at 2 p.m. instead of 2 a.m., so how does that make it "more meaningful"?
1/13/2015 6:48 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 1/13/2015 6:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jdno on 1/8/2015 1:40:00 PM (view original):
I don't think I quite understand why it happening in a 1x/day world makes it "more meaningful" than the 2x/day worlds. What, do they play more games in a 1x/day world or something? That really just sounds like a personal bias against the 2x/day worlds. I mean seriously, the only difference is that roughly half the games are at 2 p.m. instead of 2 a.m., so how does that make it "more meaningful"?
Perhaps he's suggesting opposing coaches gameplan more consistently in 1x/day worlds. 
1/13/2015 10:10 AM
12 Next ▸
Most dominant coaching stretch? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.