Unrealistic number of walk ons Topic

Posted by dacj501 on 1/18/2015 4:59:00 AM (view original):
I'm far from the expert at these probability numbers, but most seasons (In HD I am talking now) aren't all of the Final4 teams generally pretty close in odds to win it all?
I think this is a pretty good rule of thumb. I've definitely seen seasons where 1 or 2 teams stood noticeably above everyone else, and I've seen seasons where 6-8 teams are about equal, but I'd say final 4 are usually relatively evenly matched.
1/18/2015 3:05 PM
i think getting half the money for walkons who leave would be a perfectly reasonable fix to this problem. taking lots of walkons is a very viable strategy and hard to counter act, although it does very much feel like gaming the system. it seems fairly realistic, too (not that you can put hardly any stock in that re: recruiting), for an athletic department to give a coach more money if he is filling all his spots, per open spots he has, than he gets when hes only filling say half!

edit: having the penalty for walkons over 1 would probably be a good idea... dont want to screw that guy who gets "poached" and stuff, double style :)
1/19/2015 7:51 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 1/19/2015 7:52:00 PM (view original):
i think getting half the money for walkons who leave would be a perfectly reasonable fix to this problem. taking lots of walkons is a very viable strategy and hard to counter act, although it does very much feel like gaming the system. it seems fairly realistic, too (not that you can put hardly any stock in that re: recruiting), for an athletic department to give a coach more money if he is filling all his spots, per open spots he has, than he gets when hes only filling say half!

edit: having the penalty for walkons over 1 would probably be a good idea... dont want to screw that guy who gets "poached" and stuff, double style :)
I think that is totally screwing the non A baseline teams in the big 6. It is hard and takes a long time to build up a lower prestige team and penalizing the one of the ways to do that hurts those guys and the rich get richer. Why is this a problem. You already have the issue of depth and growth.. And loss of carryover. I am not understanding why this is a problem. Do you want only one way to win?
1/19/2015 10:52 PM
An example, my Averett team had two walk-ons last season because I lost two battles that went down to the last minute. I wasn't planning on two walkons. It just happened.

If you do the "Walkons count for half cash" thing I would actually want to slightly improve the Walkons. Not to the level of even decent recruits, but get rid of the 5 athleticism, 10 speed, ten defense sorts. Give them something that's remotely usable, for example, a forty or fifty rebounding, or whatever, while still not elevating them to normal recruits in general. Still, making a "walk on success story" possible might be entertaining.
1/19/2015 10:58 PM
Taking this a step further, right now during Coach Calipari, Kentucky has had more than one season with 9 scholarship players.
1/20/2015 6:39 AM
Posted by arssanguinus on 1/19/2015 10:58:00 PM (view original):
An example, my Averett team had two walk-ons last season because I lost two battles that went down to the last minute. I wasn't planning on two walkons. It just happened.

If you do the "Walkons count for half cash" thing I would actually want to slightly improve the Walkons. Not to the level of even decent recruits, but get rid of the 5 athleticism, 10 speed, ten defense sorts. Give them something that's remotely usable, for example, a forty or fifty rebounding, or whatever, while still not elevating them to normal recruits in general. Still, making a "walk on success story" possible might be entertaining.
I like the idea of better walk-ons as well. I remember when I lived in Lexington, there was a player named Richie Farmer who was a walk-on and became one of their better players, and a really popular player because he actually had a big impact on the team.
1/20/2015 11:11 PM
I just took over a D+ program for a rebuild. If you forced me to spend all of my meager cash on filling all schollies I'd stay D+ pretty much forever. As it is, just finding some plus recruits to come to my Mothership of Failure is hard enough even with a significant amount of cash for each one.
1/21/2015 10:37 AM
Tc, how about, for example, something that pegged the team expectations for filling all of your scholarships to the prestige of the program? Duke gets hurt by taking Walkons instead of scholarship players more than Butler.
1/21/2015 11:25 AM
I personally think that you are already punished by lack of depth and zero carryover when you take walkons .. especially if you have 3 or 4 of them.  If you are playing Zone, that is one thing.  But even in Man, the team gets tired.
1/21/2015 1:57 PM
◂ Prev 12
Unrealistic number of walk ons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.