clarification on potential changes Topic

i just want to clarify this:

ex.  a player is blue potential, and switches to black this means that he didn't go from 20+ potential to 7-19 but rather his potential was 22 and has earned 3 points so far meaning he only has 19 potential left, hence the change from blue to black?

ex2.  player is blue potential and switches to black, but did not gain any single points in the rating, so now has his overall potential dropped from 20+ to rather 7-19, so the blue potential was "incorrect by the scouts" and rather it was black.

is it possible for a player to be blue but end up going to black after 1 point and then go to red after enother point and in his career only gain like 4 points after being a blue potential as a recruit or does something that drastic not happen?
1/21/2015 5:36 PM
When an attribute turns from blue to black, there are 21 points left to gain.  This applies always.

Example 1: Once it turns black, he has 21 points left to gain.

Example 2: Once it turns black, he has 21 points left to gain.  The scout was correct.  The change happened without a visible point gained because your player gained a fractional point that put him over the rounding threshold.
is it possible for a player to be blue but end up going to black after 1 point and then go to red after enother point and in his career only gain like 4 points after being a blue potential as a recruit or does something that drastic not happen?
That doesn't happen.  When an attribute goes from blue to black, there are 21 points left to gain.  It stays black until there are 7 points left to gain.  At that point it turns red.

It should be noted that it can be really really difficult to squeeze out that last point or two.
1/21/2015 6:07 PM (edited)
If its blue, then you can get another 21 points of improvement (this is why during recruiting you won't see any recruit with a blue potential higher than 79).  Black or average means 7 to under 21 additional points while red is 0 upto 7.  When the color changes it has fallen to just below.

Ex. Recruit is generated with 79 LP (and its precisely 79.000 by the way) and its blue when you recruit him.  After the first practice, his LP increases say 0.1 (which will still show as 79) but he now can only increase 20.9 which is below the minimum high potential cutoff so it turns to black even though the visible LP rating hasn't changed.

Remember that all new recruits will always start at an even point (ex. 79.0) while returning players may have some decimal point value that you can't see.  Caps are also a fixed integer number but like llamanunts says the last few points are had to achieve during the season (easier during the offseason) and especially at the max cap of 100.
1/21/2015 6:10 PM (edited)
Posted by llamanunts on 1/21/2015 6:07:00 PM (view original):
When an attribute turns from blue to black, there are 21 points left to gain.  This applies always.

Example 1: Once it turns black, he has 21 points left to gain.

Example 2: Once it turns black, he has 21 points left to gain.  The scout was correct.  The change happened without a visible point gained because your player gained a fractional point that put him over the rounding threshold.
is it possible for a player to be blue but end up going to black after 1 point and then go to red after enother point and in his career only gain like 4 points after being a blue potential as a recruit or does something that drastic not happen?
That doesn't happen.  When an attribute goes from blue to black, there are 21 points left to gain.  It stays black until there are 7 points left to gain.  At that point it turns red.

It should be noted that it can be really really difficult to squeeze out that last point or two.
so in this case I have learned that the players max rating is 21 points since he didn't gain any points and turned blue->black

however  I didn't believe all potentials were "true" like not ever player will meet their full potential, and similarly no player will exceed their potential.

or is potential fully guaranteed unlike what I was lead to believe

I also realized I assumed blue was 20+ and black was 7-19. just a minor confusion.
1/21/2015 6:21 PM
As for exceeding the max potential, I believe there is a quirk when WIS does their off-season improvement calculations that it allows to exceed the max potential by a single point.  Thus I've seen recruits who had previously turned from blue to black at 59 (thus they should max out at 80) and then after the season rolls over, they *might* be 81 instead.  I've never seen this occur during the season however due to the difficulty of getting that last point to be obtained.

And no potential is not guaranteed no matter how many minutes you put into the attribute during their career.  An example of this would be a player with poor WE but a very high potential (ex. low post of 20, blue and would increase to 100 if you could get it there but he only has 1 WE).
1/21/2015 6:33 PM (edited)
So when a player turns black, does that mean they WILL gain 21 more points assuming the proper amount of practice time, or that they can gain UP TO 21 more points?
1/21/2015 10:18 PM
Posted by steviescott on 1/21/2015 10:18:00 PM (view original):
So when a player turns black, does that mean they WILL gain 21 more points assuming the proper amount of practice time, or that they can gain UP TO 21 more points?
it simply means their maximum value is 21 points higher. it depends on their work ethic, practice time, playing time, and time they have left, where they will actually end up. but it tells you where that max is, and usually you can get pretty close. its hard to fully max everything because gains become so gradual - really its the high work ethic players who pick up those last few points in the off season who are maxing out most of their ratings. but anyway yeah it just tells you the max and you can use that t plan accordingly.
1/21/2015 10:30 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 1/21/2015 6:10:00 PM (view original):
If its blue, then you can get another 21 points of improvement (this is why during recruiting you won't see any recruit with a blue potential higher than 79).  Black or average means 7 to under 21 additional points while red is 0 upto 7.  When the color changes it has fallen to just below.

Ex. Recruit is generated with 79 LP (and its precisely 79.000 by the way) and its blue when you recruit him.  After the first practice, his LP increases say 0.1 (which will still show as 79) but he now can only increase 20.9 which is below the minimum high potential cutoff so it turns to black even though the visible LP rating hasn't changed.

Remember that all new recruits will always start at an even point (ex. 79.0) while returning players may have some decimal point value that you can't see.  Caps are also a fixed integer number but like llamanunts says the last few points are had to achieve during the season (easier during the offseason) and especially at the max cap of 100.
This part:
Remember that all new recruits will always start at an even point (ex. 79.0)
I know not many agree, but I'm just not sure that's the case.  Has seble ever confirmed this?  I wonder, because I've had freshmen gain a "full" point in something like BH or P (specifically excluding LP/PER, which we know improve faster) after the first practice.  If that player gains a full point based on one practice, you could reasonably expect him to keep improving at or near that rate.  That doesn't happen.  If all player attributes start at precisely x.0, that doesn't make any sense.  If an attribute can start at, say, x.5, or even x.9, then it makes sense.
1/22/2015 10:05 AM
I think that all stated skill levels are rounded from underlying decimals that are the actual ratings.<br />
<br />
I think that players start with ratings out to a number of decimals - which is why they can go from blue to black without the number changing - the underlying decimal moved enough so that the remaining upside is 21 or less<br />
<br />
if there are errors in potential, they are not common.  There are of course high high and low high, etc - but those are not errors.
1/22/2015 10:39 AM
Posted by llamanunts on 1/22/2015 10:05:00 AM (view original):

This part:
I know not many agree, but I'm just not sure that's the case.  Has seble ever confirmed this?  I wonder, because I've had freshmen gain a "full" point in something like BH or P (specifically excluding LP/PER, which we know improve faster) after the first practice.  If that player gains a full point based on one practice, you could reasonably expect him to keep improving at or near that rate.  That doesn't happen.  If all player attributes start at precisely x.0, that doesn't make any sense.  If an attribute can start at, say, x.5, or even x.9, then it makes sense.
if he gains a "full point" wouldnt mean he potentially gained .51 ptoints than round to a full 1
1/22/2015 4:58 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 1/22/2015 10:05:00 AM (view original):

This part:
Are you sure its a newly generated recruit and not one that was red-shirted by you, red-shirted by someone else and/or a transfer of some type that you recruited during recruiting?

Personally I believe WIS uses rounding when displaying a player's present rating (i.e. a recruit with a rating of 78.6 or 79.4 will show 79 in both cases).  However, in one case the 78.6 case will show the 79 as blue potential where as once the rating crosses 79.0, will turn black.

In almost every case I've recruited a newly generated player (4 year or 2 year Juco) who had a blue 79 core rating that I put sufficient practice minutes, it almost always turns to black after the first practice (thus implying it was starting at 79.0).  I also rarely see any newly generated recruit actually gain a point in anything after just the first practice (while I will see single point improvements in all my other returning players).  That again supports the theory that new recruits start with X.0.
1/22/2015 5:57 PM
Absolutely sure.  I can't find the post, but I posted screenshots of a guy gaining BH/P points after the first practice.  I've had a couple and, having the same questions, made sure they weren't redshirts or transfers.  You and all2matt raise a plausible alternative.
1/22/2015 7:18 PM
I had a player turn from blue to black on two attributes during exhibition, without changing the value of the attributes. Never seen that before.  He suddenly became much less desirable than he looked when I recruited him.
1/23/2015 12:11 AM
Just adding my experience, the blue to black without gaining a point has happened a lot to me actually, it really changes the way you recruit.
I have also had incoming freshman gain a point after the first exhibition practice, I've also seen it on a friends team quite a few times. This season I actually had a guy improve his FT grade after the first practice, that was the first time I had seen that or noticed it as I don't usually track FT improvement as closely as the other ratings. FT is probably more susceptible to decimal change also.
1/23/2015 1:29 AM
I'm sure you're right about FT grades.  You can see what their grade will be when they will come in, and how close they are to the cutoff for each grade.
1/23/2015 1:52 PM
12 Next ▸
clarification on potential changes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.