Changes to the game Beesides realignment Topic

What are some of your guy thoughts on some changes?

As a new guy I like the game and still trying to learn the ropes.
I did win conference coach of the year and kinda thought maybe they should give a small amount of money toward recruiting for the award.
Maybe even for div coach of the year also. That would give it some worth.
I would also like and not sure how they would do it but to be able to change the defense + or - for ind players or the whole team.
I would like to +5 just my defender on a very good PE player with out setting my whole team out of postion. Not sure how that helps or hurts but just a thought

What's your guys idea's
1/27/2015 2:28 PM
I tried to get a list going of things people would like considered:
www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx 

but honestly it looks like no-one wants/cares for any new changes and is fine with how everything is and whoever is in charge doesn't need to make any changes since no-one wants any.
1/27/2015 2:53 PM
We can always run this thread back through the wash...though several of the changes recommended in the cosmetics poll have already been take care of by the admin.

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=476972

I think the changes that are wanted most now are structural changes to the engine, which are much more difficult to implement and get right.
1/27/2015 3:15 PM
Posted by nachopuzzle on 1/27/2015 3:15:00 PM (view original):
We can always run this thread back through the wash...though several of the changes recommended in the cosmetics poll have already been take care of by the admin.

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=476972

I think the changes that are wanted most now are structural changes to the engine, which are much more difficult to implement and get right.
But, isn't it kinda bad that the last post there was 5/31/14 and I've been playing since mid June and never heard of anything about user polls being implemented or thought of being implemented even though its a great idea and doesn't seem to hard to add?

As a whole considering they're hasnt been something changed since 6/12/14 and no developer chat since 2012 basically any change big/small can be considered a major change at this point.

1/27/2015 3:26 PM
I think they need to lessen the value of athleticism, it will make the game more complex. I'd balance it more towards Fundamentals, passing, ballhandling, perimeter, low post, rebounding, having more impact than athleticism. If you look at a guy like Klay Thompson, NBA, or Paul Pierce, NBA, or Danny Manning, NBA, or Tim Duncan, NBA, I would not even put these guys into the 90 athleticism scheme, I'd consider Pierce in the NCAA as a 75 ATH guy, Manning, Duncan Under that, Thompson maybe 70 +... They are good at the game because of Fundamentals and IQ.

1/27/2015 3:32 PM
I see teams built with athleticism winning all the time... in all division. Why not a passing team? A shooting nightmare team? Why not a solid interior rebounding team... with so much shotblocking it shuts you down? Right now, it makes strategy in recruiting too one dimensional.
1/27/2015 3:34 PM
I agree to a point zorzil. I am from Kentucky and Alex P is probably the most ath player on the team but by far not the best. But you do need to be some what ath. Maybe if a player is high in ath but low in cores it should marginalize them some idk.

the Onlyis I agree I have been here since Sept and never seen that thread or poll. I believe they could do a better job of communicating about if its months or years for an update either way just something we could hang our hats on.

1/27/2015 3:46 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 1/27/2015 2:53:00 PM (view original):
I tried to get a list going of things people would like considered:
www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx 

but honestly it looks like no-one wants/cares for any new changes and is fine with how everything is and whoever is in charge doesn't need to make any changes since no-one wants any.
That's really not true from the user side.  We just don't agree on everything.  The one thing that user that have been here for a while do agree upon is that Foxsports prefers to allocate its game-programming resources elsewhere.  It would seem that is why Fox would have been interested in WIS in the first place.  So, they are willing to allocate time to consumer care, but not to redeveloping the site.

I think there is fairly broad agreement among users, not about the engine, but about D1 job application & firing process.  There may even be agreement about D1 recruit generation and making the first recruiting cycle more than 2 hours long.  After that, it gets a bit thorny.
1/27/2015 4:09 PM
Allowing people to pre-load their first-cycle actions would be nice, particularly for those of us living in the west/Pacific region where the first cycle (or more) hits during work hours. 
1/27/2015 4:34 PM
Posted by zorzii on 1/27/2015 3:32:00 PM (view original):
I think they need to lessen the value of athleticism, it will make the game more complex. I'd balance it more towards Fundamentals, passing, ballhandling, perimeter, low post, rebounding, having more impact than athleticism. If you look at a guy like Klay Thompson, NBA, or Paul Pierce, NBA, or Danny Manning, NBA, or Tim Duncan, NBA, I would not even put these guys into the 90 athleticism scheme, I'd consider Pierce in the NCAA as a 75 ATH guy, Manning, Duncan Under that, Thompson maybe 70 +... They are good at the game because of Fundamentals and IQ.

Not questioning your main point regarding ATH, but on one particular point about real players I disagree.  Pierce was an absolute stud in college.  No way his ATH was at only a 75, whatever that might mean.  KU played Cincinnati when Pierce was there and he absolutely destroyed Ruben Patterson, who was easily the most athletic guy on the UC team and went on to be known mostly as a defensive stopper in the NBA.  Pierce made Patterson look like a sixth-grader.  If Patterson was an 80, then Pierce was a 95.
1/27/2015 4:43 PM
Posted by davis on 1/27/2015 4:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 1/27/2015 3:32:00 PM (view original):

Not questioning your main point regarding ATH, but on one particular point about real players I disagree.  Pierce was an absolute stud in college.  No way his ATH was at only a 75, whatever that might mean.  KU played Cincinnati when Pierce was there and he absolutely destroyed Ruben Patterson, who was easily the most athletic guy on the UC team and went on to be known mostly as a defensive stopper in the NBA.  Pierce made Patterson look like a sixth-grader.  If Patterson was an 80, then Pierce was a 95.
Danny Manning pre-blown out knees was pretty special in college also.
1/27/2015 5:09 PM
Delete the function in the game where your team will just randomly shoot 35% or below 60% from the line for no reason. Yeah it happens sometimes in real life but this is a game and I want the work I put in to be rewarded instead of just randomly losing and winning sometimes. 
1/27/2015 6:18 PM
Posted by mikvitu on 1/27/2015 6:18:00 PM (view original):
Delete the function in the game where your team will just randomly shoot 35% or below 60% from the line for no reason. Yeah it happens sometimes in real life but this is a game and I want the work I put in to be rewarded instead of just randomly losing and winning sometimes. 
You may think you want this, but you don't want this.
1/27/2015 6:36 PM
@ Rogelio

I agree that there are many suggestions that wouldn't take with the majority, but in the one thing you list as something a majority agree in, there has been nothing done by staff to further the implementation or acknowledge it at least of my knowledge.

About Athleticism.  I don't have a fairly strong point but I'll add to the conversation.  Look at some of OSU's past players.  Craft and Sullinger.  Craft was of average ath/spd but had extremely high IQ, def, bh skills that allowed him to be a great PG, Sullinger was not an athletic freak(he was above average, or good) but had extremely developed low post and perimeter skills for someone his age.  As well as a great IQ allowing him while undersized, and less athletic to be such an offensive force and do good enough on the defensive side of the ball.

Also quickly I could probably think of a handful of ideas that aren't major in changing aspects of the game, and a good amount of people might agree on:
  • Notifcation of sitemail in the game so you don't have to check the forums.
  • When a new player signs up have a pop-up leading them to a guide or just the help page, and not "require" them to go in depth but at least lead them to it, as you see a lot of players having no idea what works in this game and teams with players of 20 ath 10 def but just high we/dur.  A lot of new players never learn the game because they don't take the initiative to learn how to, but also because HD doesn't make a bigger effort to help them learn the game.
  • More player generated pictures,(hair styles have changed)
  • A page that lists # NC by player/School in each world and then overall and add in a best team/conf RPI, so its not up to coaches to manually keep track and potentially miss records.
  • Allowing to choose what traits to scout a player
  • Fixing recruiting messages, if I send 2 hv and a scholly and he replies with "can't wait to sign and then I check and he's considering 2 other schools and not me" it obviously means hes not ready to sign.  The messages from recruits should be updated a bit better to actually mean something.
A big problem(very generalized) is that they're 2 types of players, those who just want an online basketball game, and then those who want a realistic basketball game.  This hurts the players wanting the most realistic basketball game mainly because they're no other basketball games like HD sports and if there is they are nowhere near as good, HD is still miles ahead of any game similar.

Problems that arise from this:
  • Hiring and Firing, because HD doesn't want to fire a coach whose at their dream school because they suck.  Because most likely they would stop playing if they couldn't coach their dream school/alma mater
  • Conf realignment, those non-hardcore sim players don't care and would be upset by the chaos realignment would cause.  Hurting those wanting an up to date experience and also fans/graduates of schools like VCU/FGCU/Butler
  • Freshmen coming in with a little higher IQ, in D1 you see a lot of freshmen leading teams or at least play a bigger part than whats possible with HD.

I then could think of plenty of other things that could be changed but would cause too much chaos:
  • addition of new philosophies/update of current.  (heck the majority of nba teams don't run a triangle)
  • IQ becoming a number based skill(not everyone can reach A+ in real life)->IQ becomes a bigger factor
  • disallowing sim teams to have superclass-> this also is hurting active conferences, noone wants to take on a team with 10 freshmen or sophmores it would be a minimum 5/6 season rebuild.  So you have these conferences with 1/2 players because the other conf with 8 players has 4 sim teams that are gigantic messes.  and in real life teams don't do good every 4 years.  the bad teams stay bad they don't have 1 average year like sim-super classes do. they just suck every year.  We shouldn't see a team go 1-25 : 8-18 : 14-12 : 22-4 just because of a super class generally a 1-26 team stays bad and a 14-12 team stays average until a new coach comes along.
  • Create "real" non-conf tournaments, and add it to notes "Malibu non-conf tourney champ"
  • allow coaches to list rival coaches/schools(both coaches must accept rivalry) and then keep a record.
Granted I probably just wrote a huge wall of useless text, but its okay.  I still love HD and spend way to much time playing.

1/27/2015 8:55 PM (edited)
Posted by tkimble on 1/27/2015 6:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mikvitu on 1/27/2015 6:18:00 PM (view original):
You may think you want this, but you don't want this.

No I do, if it's caused by like home court advantage or has a reason behind it then fine but I don't want to lose a game for no reason, I don't learn anything from it and if anything it just makes understanding the game more muddled. 

1/27/2015 7:57 PM
123 Next ▸
Changes to the game Beesides realignment Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.