D1 BCS coaches have it easy... Topic

It is actually laughable how easy you guys have it in recruiting when compared to a non bcs school. Not eve sure where the challenge is for you guys..
2/18/2015 8:59 AM
I am assuming this is based on you being burned in recruiting by a BCS school. However not all BCS schools have it easy. I agree that once you reach A+ all the players are yours for the taking, but when you are below that A threshold things can turn ugly quickly. I am not saying BCS schools need pity but there is quite a bit of challenge in trying to build a school up from a bottom dwelling Big 6 school to a regular S16 squad. 
2/18/2015 9:18 AM
Posted by texrangers19 on 2/18/2015 8:59:00 AM (view original):
It is actually laughable how easy you guys have it in recruiting when compared to a non bcs school. Not eve sure where the challenge is for you guys..
+11111.  That's why I left DI and went back to DII
2/18/2015 10:12 AM
hasnt been easy for me with starting out at D+ VaTech and it hasnt got much easier now that Im B-. 
2/18/2015 12:10 PM
Posted by gvsujulius on 2/18/2015 9:18:00 AM (view original):
I am assuming this is based on you being burned in recruiting by a BCS school. However not all BCS schools have it easy. I agree that once you reach A+ all the players are yours for the taking, but when you are below that A threshold things can turn ugly quickly. I am not saying BCS schools need pity but there is quite a bit of challenge in trying to build a school up from a bottom dwelling Big 6 school to a regular S16 squad. 
This may just be because I am a dope, but I have has worse luck recruiting with an A+.  I think I am invincible and overextend.  I do much better working with an A-.  My GT team is a prime example that A+ BCS schools are not unbeatable.  As long as the coach is a dummy they can be beat.
2/18/2015 2:13 PM
Posted by texrangers19 on 2/18/2015 8:59:00 AM (view original):
we did our time, stop whining.

and for the record, when you have enough A schools within a close enough radius it can absolutely get pretty interesting in recruiting, especially if you don't have 5 or 6 openings.
2/18/2015 3:18 PM
You really earned your Connecticut job.   You took started at a d3 team with players recruited by billyG, jumped to an empty conference Valpo, to another entirely human recruited Troy to a johnsensing coached St. John's to UConn.

I am mostly busting balls here.....but the "we did our time slaving away in the bowels of the game" seems a little disingenious some times.    It's usually, more like "we are the guys who are really good at all of the subtle aspects of the game.   IF you were as good as us, you would have an A+ job as well.   Just figure out how to get and stay there."
2/18/2015 4:06 PM
I have had other D1 jobs, too, so it's a little disingenuous to only pick out UConn.

Regardless, I didn't screw any of them up. Everyone else has those same opportunities. Quit complaining about something you can accomplish too, that's it.
2/18/2015 4:21 PM
Recruiting in the A range is actually one of the craziest recruiting experiences I've had in this game.  In the mid-Atlantic region, you have teams from the ACC, Big East, and SEC as major competitors all trying to build the best team possible.  That is the reason I've found high-level D1 so entertaining- you're constantly in a strategy battle with the other best coaches for the best players.  In regards to the OP- will I be able to out-recruit a non-BCS school?  Most of the time.  But if you're not sure where the challenge is, it's competing with a bunch of conniving, back-stabbing, poaching, smart ************* who will do anything to gain the edge over you -- and I love it.  
2/18/2015 4:23 PM
There are a bunch of tiers in D1, all of them difficult in their own special snowflake ways

Bottom feeder D1 is different from mid major D1, which is different from BCS but ****** BCS D1 which is different from A+ baseline D1 which, might be if I every get there to report back, different from perennial contender D1...

If you have dreams of winning tons (or even one) title at the bottom layers you are either a HD god in the making or nuts. If you figure out how to position yourself and wait for the opportunities to open up*, you move up and try the next level...

*(there should be more firings...)
2/18/2015 4:27 PM
The LSU progression is pretty similar.   I didn't check your others.  

2/18/2015 4:29 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/18/2015 4:29:00 PM (view original):
The LSU progression is pretty similar.   I didn't check your others.  

actually Joe, it's really not. but good try being a di.ck.
2/18/2015 4:32 PM
Really?  Which program did you build up from nothing?

Milk's Elmhurst?
Fussy's Bloomsburg?
The empty Portland State?
Dac's Colorado?
or 
Joehof's LSU?

It's pretty much the same progression.

Youre a great coach broksi, better than me, but get off your high horse.....
2/18/2015 4:39 PM
I've sucked at D1.  Can't be that easy
2/18/2015 6:36 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/18/2015 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Really?  Which program did you build up from nothing?

Milk's Elmhurst?
Fussy's Bloomsburg?
The empty Portland State?
Dac's Colorado?
or 
Joehof's LSU?

It's pretty much the same progression.

Youre a great coach broksi, better than me, but get off your high horse.....
My high horse? Who brought me and my accomplishments (or your perceived lack thereof) into this conversation? Oh wait, it was you.

When you're nearly 100 seasons in to all the 2 a day worlds, I doubt there are many good BCS jobs that haven't had multiple good coaches at them. The fact you want to hold that against someone is pretty stupid. With that said...The "empty" Portland State had several human coaches in the conference while I was there and I took them to a B+ and an Elite 8. Colorado was a C+ when I got there and an A when I left...so my success there was (with all due respect to a great coach) hardly dac's doing. Joehof? Great coach indeed. But the team I took over was half crappy sim recruits, and by the time they were recruited out the prestige had taken a hit.

Perhaps the better measure is to look at the programs I've been at and see how many of them have been left worse off than they were found. There may be one or two, but I bet there aren't many.

It's easy to chirp when you aren't doing it or haven't done it. As I said before the reality is that anyone can get where we are if they put in their time and are halfway decent at the game.

2/18/2015 7:00 PM
1234 Next ▸
D1 BCS coaches have it easy... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.